THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Originally Posted By: JJH
"If there's no difference then why did you (or whoever else) put the fence up?"

That's an easy question to answer: to avoid the problem of neighbor hunters either shooting everything that moves and decimating the deer population entirely, or only shooting bucks and letting the buck/doe ratio, and the overall population above the carrying capacity of the land.

I hunted on a place for 20 years and took nothing but does. Never saw a buck over 1.5YO, but the number of does was so high that the deer were undernourished and under weight. I put up a high fence and got the population under control, the ratios more normal, and let the young bucks pass. The "hunting" is harder, ie, you don't see near as many deer. But the deer are healthy. the other wildlife is more abundant, the pasture looks much better, and the tanks don't fill with silt. But it must be all bad, because its high fenced.

Thank you. I knew as much, just wanted someone else to say it. So, hunting behind a high fence is completely different because you control how many deer are killed, what they are fed, the buck to doe ratio, who can hunt them, the overall population in a particular area, how old the deer are, where they can travel, etc, etc. Basically, it's absolutely nothing like hunting a low fence place where you don't have control over all of those things to the same degree. To say there's no difference is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard in my life. Otherwise, no one would do it.

Uhh the low fenced neighbors practice everything you just listed as a "difference" on my high fenced place. Except of course your false statement about "where they can travel" (several square miles of brush isn't controlling anything about a deer's travel as related to hunting that animal).

There is no difference hunting my Zavala county ranch than there is a large low fenced place in the same vicinity.

Here let me help you with visuals since you seem to struggle with written word. This deer was allowed two more years to mature, the same way my low fenced neighbors would have protected him. He was involuntarily "allowed" another year because he was nocturnal by the time I could hunt him (November-Feb). Hunting him in October was the only way he was ever going to be killed. And that's when he was killed the next year (three years after the picture). The difficulty in hunting that animal was exactly the same as it would have been on my large low fence neighbor. And that's what was being discussed with the previous poster (the difficulty in hunting, not the management methods used to enhance opportunity that are practiced on both high and low fenced ranches in my area).

Rancher, you are equating controlling and hunting in your words above. DocHorton said by being HF you can “control” many factors that LF hunters can’t control. And then you berate him saying he can’t read and you go on to talk about how hunting is the same in both situations....different argument. I agree with doc, the “control” situation is much improved in a HF situation. You can control which deer are shot, you can control your neighbors actions to a large extent (I know we can never fully control poaching). In a LF situation you can’t control your neighbor if he wanted to shoot that nice deer in your pics, if the neighbor wants it and it walks on his side, bam animal down and there’s goes years of management. If your neighbor is on the same page as you and agrees to let said deer walk and then he jumps your LF and gets hit by a car....same issue. HF takes this problem away mostly (not completely).

But I will agree with you, in certain HF ranches, hunting can be just as difficult as any LF place. Maybe even more so. Small places animals can get very skidding and never come out. Large places can be just tough to find animals. However, even you have to admit, there are HF shops that operate like a zoo and essentially you pick your animal, go shoot and be done in a couple hours or less. It isn’t hunting at all, just an expensive shooting range.

I know doc said hunting is different, but he went on to discuss management methods as to why the hunting is different. He wasn’t discussing the various methods of hunting in his discussion. I suggest you read past the first sentence to get the gist of what he was saying rather than seeing the first sentence and attacking based solely on that first sentence. It’s all good, just trying to say there may be disagreements in parts of these posts but agreement in parts as well. There is no 100% correct answer In this discussion except for what is legal and what isn’t.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Texas buckeye] #7219538 07/09/18 04:39 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Originally Posted By: JJH
"If there's no difference then why did you (or whoever else) put the fence up?"

That's an easy question to answer: to avoid the problem of neighbor hunters either shooting everything that moves and decimating the deer population entirely, or only shooting bucks and letting the buck/doe ratio, and the overall population above the carrying capacity of the land.

I hunted on a place for 20 years and took nothing but does. Never saw a buck over 1.5YO, but the number of does was so high that the deer were undernourished and under weight. I put up a high fence and got the population under control, the ratios more normal, and let the young bucks pass. The "hunting" is harder, ie, you don't see near as many deer. But the deer are healthy. the other wildlife is more abundant, the pasture looks much better, and the tanks don't fill with silt. But it must be all bad, because its high fenced.

Thank you. I knew as much, just wanted someone else to say it. So, hunting behind a high fence is completely different because you control how many deer are killed, what they are fed, the buck to doe ratio, who can hunt them, the overall population in a particular area, how old the deer are, where they can travel, etc, etc. Basically, it's absolutely nothing like hunting a low fence place where you don't have control over all of those things to the same degree. To say there's no difference is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard in my life. Otherwise, no one would do it.

Uhh the low fenced neighbors practice everything you just listed as a "difference" on my high fenced place. Except of course your false statement about "where they can travel" (several square miles of brush isn't controlling anything about a deer's travel as related to hunting that animal).

There is no difference hunting my Zavala county ranch than there is a large low fenced place in the same vicinity.

Here let me help you with visuals since you seem to struggle with written word. This deer was allowed two more years to mature, the same way my low fenced neighbors would have protected him. He was involuntarily "allowed" another year because he was nocturnal by the time I could hunt him (November-Feb). Hunting him in October was the only way he was ever going to be killed. And that's when he was killed the next year (three years after the picture). The difficulty in hunting that animal was exactly the same as it would have been on my large low fence neighbor. And that's what was being discussed with the previous poster (the difficulty in hunting, not the management methods used to enhance opportunity that are practiced on both high and low fenced ranches in my area).

Rancher, you are equating controlling and hunting in your words above. DocHorton said by being HF you can “control” many factors that LF hunters can’t control. And then you berate him saying he can’t read and you go on to talk about how hunting is the same in both situations....different argument. I agree with doc, the “control” situation is much improved in a HF situation. You can control which deer are shot, you can control your neighbors actions to a large extent (I know we can never fully control poaching). In a LF situation you can’t control your neighbor if he wanted to shoot that nice deer in your pics, if the neighbor wants it and it walks on his side, bam animal down and there’s goes years of management. If your neighbor is on the same page as you and agrees to let said deer walk and then he jumps your LF and gets hit by a car....same issue. HF takes this problem away mostly (not completely).

But I will agree with you, in certain HF ranches, hunting can be just as difficult as any LF place. Maybe even more so. Small places animals can get very skidding and never come out. Large places can be just tough to find animals. However, even you have to admit, there are HF shops that operate like a zoo and essentially you pick your animal, go shoot and be done in a couple hours or less. It isn’t hunting at all, just an expensive shooting range.

I know doc said hunting is different, but he went on to discuss management methods as to why the hunting is different. He wasn’t discussing the various methods of hunting in his discussion. I suggest you read past the first sentence to get the gist of what he was saying rather than seeing the first sentence and attacking based solely on that first sentence. It’s all good, just trying to say there may be disagreements in parts of these posts but agreement in parts as well. There is no 100% correct answer In this discussion except for what is legal and what isn’t.

Spend the time to go read ALL of scalebuster's posts on page one. I was responding to him when Horton decided to chime in. Scalebuster was implying that HUNTING was always easier on HF ranches. I pointed out he was wrong.

Horton was as well because we were discussing the difficulty of hunting. Not the opportunities enhanced by the fence (that I pointed out can be practiced the same on large low fenced ranches).

And really? I berated him? Maybe you should see his post I was responding to. Here, let me help:
"To say there's no difference is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard in my life".

I didn't start anything. But I'm not gonna sit and let someone talk that kind of smack without responding in kind.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7219554 07/09/18 04:53 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
If hunting a high-fenced ranch is so easy, how come I have culls in an 1,800 acre pasture that we've been trying to kill for years. And still haven't been able to? Why did it take me three years of targeting one buck before he finally slipped up and took a bullet. At 7 1/2 years old? Prior to that one encounter, the deer had never been seen on the hoof by anyone. Only a few trail cam photos and all of those were at night. I could tell countless stories of unsuccessfully trying to kill deer behind high fences. Now, the breed, grow 'til three or four, release and shoot within' weeks places really aren't hunts. I've been on several of those ranches and killing a target buck is very easy.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7219579 07/09/18 05:14 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Rancher, I don’t want to quote too many levels here, but saying someone with a. Doctorate level education struggles with the written word and needs pictures to see a point is pretty “berating” in my mind. You may not have meant it as such, but it comes across as really insulting, although doc might not have felt it as such.

Point aside, you are arguing against scalebuster by quoting doc’s post....seems a little counterproductive to quote someone else when you are arguing someone. I certainly didn’t see you arguing scalebusters points, only saw you arguing doc. It’s all good, sometimes these things need a little clarification as not everyone can know what someone else is thinking.

Again, what I saw doc argue was that HF ranches offer a better opportunity to manage deer than LF. He stated that by saying HF ranches are easier to hunt because ...control deer population better, control deer ratios better, neighbor influence is essentially gone, what they are fed, where they can not go (outside the fence), how many animals are killed, etc. Are any of those points patently false when comparing a LF to a HF operation? (I think except for a few examples, most HF ranches are easier to hunt as well, due to their method of operation (way too many deer per acre and a almost forced feeding program due to that high population which allows very dense deer numbers at feeders)).

You took all those statements to say “HF hunting is easier than LF hunting” end of discussion. If you can make an argument against any of the above points please do...if you just want to argue HF hunting can be as hard as LF hunting, well I have already conceded that to you.

My point is, if you are strictly after antlers, it is silly to think a HF ranch wouldn’t have better “hunting” than a LF ranch. Due to all the variables one can control in a HF ranch, it has to be better antler hunting. Notice I didn’t say it would be easier. Just better.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 07/09/18 05:54 PM.
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Texas buckeye] #7219589 07/09/18 05:27 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Rancher, I don’t want to quote too many levels here, but saying someone with a. Doctorate level education struggles with the written word and needs pictures to see a point is pretty “berating” in my mind. You may not have meant it as such, but it comes across as really insulting, although doc might not have felt it as such.

Point aside, you are arguing against scalebuster by quoting doc’s post....seems a little counterproductive to quote someone else when you are arguing someone. I certainly didn’t see you arguing scalebusters points, only saw you arguing doc. It’s all good, sometimes these things need a little clarification as not everyone can know what someone else is thinking.

Again, what I saw doc argue was that HF ranches offer a better opportunity to manage deer than LF. He stated that by saying HF ranches are easier to hunt because ...control deer population better, control deer ratios better, neighbor influence is essentially gone, what they are fed, where they can not go (outside the fence), how many animals are killed, etc. Are any of those points patently false when comparing a LF to a HF operation? (I think except for a few examples, most HF ranches are easier to hunt as well, due to their method of operation (way too many deer per acre and a almost forced feeding program due to that high population which allows very dense deer numbers at feeders)).

You took all those statements to say “HF hunting is easier than LF hunting” end of discussion. If you can make an argument against any of the above points please do...if you just want to argue HF hunting can be as hard as LF hunting, well I have already conceded that to you.

My point is, if you are strictly after antlers, it is asinine to think a HF ranch wouldn’t have better “hunting” than a LF ranch. Due to all the variables one can control in a HF ranch, it has to be better antler hunting. Notice I didn’t say it would be easier. Just better.

This discussion was staying civil for once until Doc and now you have to throw out words like asinine relating to other posters' opinions. Doc didn't have to do it to make his point and neither do you.

I read the post from JJH and I saw no reason whatsoever for Doc to have to state his opinion was asinine. This tactic is being used quite often now by people that run out of facts to support their opinion and turn to name calling instead.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 07/09/18 05:49 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7219612 07/09/18 05:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

My point is, if you are strictly after antlers, it is asinine to think a HF ranch wouldn’t have better “hunting” than a LF ranch. Due to all the variables one can control in a HF ranch, it has to be better antler hunting. Notice I didn’t say it would be easier. Just better.

This discussion was staying civil for once until Doc and now you have to throw out words like asinine relating to other posters' opinions. Doc didn't have to do it to make his point and neither do you.

Pitchfork, You are correct, I didn’t need to use that term and won’t in the future.

Edit: changed my post to it include a more civil word (I hope)

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 07/09/18 05:55 PM.
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7219705 07/09/18 07:12 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have been shamed. I don't have a doctorate. My property has a HF. And now I am asinine.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7219726 07/09/18 07:37 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Don I don't have a doctorate either and most people wouldn't consider our property to even have a fence lol.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7219760 07/09/18 08:26 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

I read the post from JJH and I saw no reason whatsoever for Doc to have to state his opinion was asinine. This tactic is being used quite often now by people that run out of facts to support their opinion and turn to name calling instead.

I think if you'll read this post #7219128 you'll find that docs "asinine" comment was directed at me and not JJH. Whatever, I responded in kind.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Texas buckeye] #7219762 07/09/18 08:32 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

My point is, if you are strictly after antlers, it is silly to think a HF ranch wouldn’t have better “hunting” than a LF ranch. Due to all the variables one can control in a HF ranch, it has to be better antler hunting. Notice I didn’t say it would be easier. Just better.

Oh I fully agree. And if you would read previous posts you'd understand I didn't denigrate the tooth puller until he denigrated me. I have no other qualms with your above post, other than you still seem to be focused on doc and his switching the convo from scalebuster and my discussion on whether hf is easy hunting, to whether there's a difference in management. Doc changed the subject, and then foolishly implied that hf hunting is always easier, because of management differences. Which, is asinine.

Last edited by therancher; 07/09/18 08:34 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: don k] #7219768 07/09/18 08:36 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: don k
I have been shamed. I don't have a doctorate. My property has a HF. And now I am asinine.

Wonder when he's gonna figure out we're deplorable as well?

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: therancher] #7219871 07/09/18 10:30 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: don k

Wonder when he's gonna figure out we're deplorable as well?
I have been called despicable before but to my knowledge the only one that has called me deplorable was hillary. I will have to add that to my resume.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7219965 07/09/18 11:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Rancher, not focused on dochorton anymore than you. But, I did see where a quote was being responded to in an inaccurate manner. Was just trying to correct that. I try not to quote people and then respond to other people or other posts from that same person without acknowledging it in the quoted material. That’s all.

I don’t think you are a deplorable but there is someone who is putting herself back out there for president in 2020 (at least running the polls to se if she stands a chance) who thinks we are both deplorables. Let her run....it would be best down galore given all we know now about what her and the dems did in run up to 2016.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7220061 07/10/18 01:23 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Does havin a doctorate make somebody’s opinion on something unrelated more valuable?

They used to call me “The white Doctor J”. Does that mean my opinion counts for more?

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: maximus_flavius] #7220092 07/10/18 01:46 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
They used to call me “The white Doctor J”.

I wonder what the real Dr. J would think of that comparison? I think I'd also like to better understand the reference group considered, for the title to bestowed upon you...

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Texas buckeye] #7220188 07/10/18 02:52 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Rancher, not focused on dochorton anymore than you. But, I did see where a quote was being responded to in an inaccurate manner. Was just trying to correct that. I try not to quote people and then respond to other people or other posts from that same person without acknowledging it in the quoted material. That’s all.

I don’t think you are a deplorable but there is someone who is putting herself back out there for president in 2020 (at least running the polls to se if she stands a chance) who thinks we are both deplorables. Let her run....it would be best down galore given all we know now about what her and the dems did in run up to 2016.

I didn’t respond to anything in an incorrect manner.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: CharlieCTx] #7220232 07/10/18 03:44 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
They used to call me “The white Doctor J”.

I wonder what the real Dr. J would think of that comparison?

He would be honored

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7220247 07/10/18 04:07 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Most of us these days seem to hunt over a feeder. If you do that you can only shoot the deer that come to the feeder you are sitting over, so the argument that HF deer can't "get away" is pretty moot.

As others noted, there are some HF owners who buy bred bucks at the start of each season. These are tame deer who haven't been hunted and so come easily to feeders, plus, they can average very high on the points scale if that is what the owner bought. It's easy to get a trophy size deer on such a place and I wouldn't want to hunt one but if you have just enclosed deer behind HF then I don't see it as much different than LF -- you can only shoot what comes to your feeder. However, the bucks may average older on the HF place, so it will probably be easier to get a larger buck.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7220347 07/10/18 12:11 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Well I have 1.5 acers in HF, and have had it up for 5 years now. It works fairly well, as that is where my garden is. It would be fair to say the hunting outside the HF is really good, as the deer always try to get in the garden for free produce!
Mind you not all of the ground inside the HF is planted, as I keep a shed with garden tools, seed, water hoses and things in there. After I'm done I open up the double gate and let the wildlife have at it. Many times a big buck will show up, but I've never found the need to whack him in the garden. I have over the years planted different things to see what the deer like best, everything from Chili Peppers, to peas.
I've no problems with folks hunting either LF or HF, just as long as they are having a good time in the woods.
peep

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7220987 07/10/18 10:26 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This time around this discussion just doesn't have the same "zing". Then I figured it out. Shame.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Age N Score ?] #7221021 07/10/18 10:53 PM
R
rmp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
Well I have 1.5 acers in HF, and have had it up for 5 years now. It works fairly well, as that is where my garden is. It would be fair to say the hunting outside the HF is really good, as the deer always try to get in the garden for free produce!
Mind you not all of the ground inside the HF is planted, as I keep a shed with garden tools, seed, water hoses and things in there. After I'm done I open up the double gate and let the wildlife have at it. Many times a big buck will show up, but I've never found the need to whack him in the garden. I have over the years planted different things to see what the deer like best, everything from Chili Peppers, to peas.
I've no problems with folks hunting either LF or HF, just as long as they are having a good time in the woods.
peep

My grandparents had a similar high fence operation for years. Good eating from inside that HF. No many escapees but lots of breakins. Those blackeyed peas never had a chance. roflmao

Jameson Peak Ranch
Trophy Whitetails
"Lets go hunt a BIG one."
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: Creekrunner] #7221120 07/11/18 12:28 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
This time around this discussion just doesn't have the same "zing". Then I figured it out. Shame.

Sadly NP isn't here to lend his "intelligence" to the discussion.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7221781 07/11/18 06:20 PM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I am fortunate to be able to hunt both. As a landowner, the difference between hunting low fence and high fence is simply this... I know every buck on my ranch. I control how how old they get, how much nutrition they receive, and their well-being. I also control (aside from natural instances) when they are harvested. My family doesn't sell hunts, we do it for the enjoyment of watching a deer herd thrive and harvesting animals that have reached their maximum potential.

I'll say this, I enjoy low-fence hunting more, on a personal level. I enjoy the young kid feeling of not knowing what is going to walk out on any given day. On the other side of the coin, I feel extremely proud about the bucks I am able to manage through selective harvest, feed programs, and land management. I enjoy allowing my son to hunt our high fence ranch and learn about what makes a buck grow big... nutrition, water, management, and selective harvest.

I have seen good areas be ruined by hunters taking immature bucks, but I have also seen adaptations on low fence ranches gained from high fence ranches on sound management strategies to produce larger bucks.

I have bucks that are easier to kill because of our high fence, but I also have bucks on our high fence that people have hunted for years that we wanted to kill that we couldn't. I've had the same on low fence ranches. A lot depends on the deer, each one is different.

Bottom line is this... if you own the land... it's yours to do with what you wish. Every landowner that has high-fenced their place will sometimes wish they could hunt low fence. Every hunter that hunts sometimes wishes they had a high fence to better manage their deer herd.

Just my opinion.

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: okokmoon] #7222004 07/11/18 10:50 PM
B
breadman Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
blonds, brunetts, or red heads ?? coke or pepsi ?? bud or miller ??,,,, be glad you have choices !!!

Re: High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts [Re: hunting_guy] #7222734 07/12/18 05:23 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: hunting_guy
I am fortunate to be able to hunt both. As a landowner, the difference between hunting low fence and high fence is simply this... I know every buck on my ranch. I control how how old they get, how much nutrition they receive, and their well-being. I also control (aside from natural instances) when they are harvested. My family doesn't sell hunts, we do it for the enjoyment of watching a deer herd thrive and harvesting animals that have reached their maximum potential.

I'll say this, I enjoy low-fence hunting more, on a personal level. I enjoy the young kid feeling of not knowing what is going to walk out on any given day. On the other side of the coin, I feel extremely proud about the bucks I am able to manage through selective harvest, feed programs, and land management. I enjoy allowing my son to hunt our high fence ranch and learn about what makes a buck grow big... nutrition, water, management, and selective harvest.

I have seen good areas be ruined by hunters taking immature bucks, but I have also seen adaptations on low fence ranches gained from high fence ranches on sound management strategies to produce larger bucks.

I have bucks that are easier to kill because of our high fence, but I also have bucks on our high fence that people have hunted for years that we wanted to kill that we couldn't. I've had the same on low fence ranches. A lot depends on the deer, each one is different.

Bottom line is this... if you own the land... it's yours to do with what you wish. Every landowner that has high-fenced their place will sometimes wish they could hunt low fence. Every hunter that hunts sometimes wishes they had a high fence to better manage their deer herd.

Just my opinion.

The only deer I now hunt are low fenced mule deer. Because that's what I don't have. Agree with everything you said above.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide