The 308 AR-10 story
I built a budget friendly semi auto 308 with the intent to share the lower between my 338 Federal upper and a 308 upper.
The 308 was supposed to be my main hunting rifle due to:
1) shoots 165 grain Speer DeepCurl bullets which I successfully used in 30 Rem AR 2 years ago at lower velocities
2) is suppressor friendly versus the 338 Federal (I have a .308 suppressor on hand would have to buy another specific to large cals for 338 Fed)
3) offers more Terminal Energy over AR15 calibers
4) is lighter than original AR-10s (Iíll have to weigh it) but overall the market is leaning towards leaner components.
In January 2018 I developed a handload with Varget powder which is very temp stable. I was very excited because the rifle was stacking the 165gr Deepcurls into tiny groups.
In April I thought it was ready for it's hunting debut and took it West in pursuit of feral swine. Jam-O-Rama ...
Running the rifle unsuppressed I didnít have any issues but adding the can seemed to trigger jamming and cycling problems. For weeks I tried an assortment of adjustments to the gas block and buffer and springs.
Bought a cycle friendly full length A2 stock and reseated the gas block.
Tested it once in May and jams.
At this point I was perplexed at how I made it through load development without any jams and it dawned on me that I was only loading 4-5 rounds in the magazine and so I looked now at the magazine and lower mag catch as the issue.
Tested the rifle last Friday loading single rounds and the gun would jam and not lock the mag back the one time it did extract.
Out of options I began to ponder opening the gas port with a drill or switching BCG even though the BCG was new and of good quality.
Iím glad I checked the BCG because I discovered way too many o-rings and springs in the extractor area. I trimmed my ejector spring two coils and discarded the two o-rings and smaller inner spring of the extractor.
Saturday I ran 30 rounds suppressed through the rifle with zero issues and the bolt was now locking back so I adjusted the gas block as well
The attached photo are the final shots from Saturday, ready for action (debut hunt #2 and beyond ... I adjust between the top grouping of 3 and bottom grouping of 2.
So check your extractors for too many parts if you're getting unexplained function issues.....