Forum Stats
63772 Members
45 Forums
416939 Topics
6044093 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7213262 - 07/01/18 03:34 PM The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Because the place where I most often hunt is an old family home place, the average off-season weekend includes all sorts of routine maintenance and ranching. There are often fences to be fixed, grass to be mowed, and equipment to be maintained and sometimes repaired. While some might see this as work, for me it's much needed "therapy" from my usual job and life in the suburbs. It also gives me the opportunity to maintain good relationships with all the landowners in the area, something that is often invaluable once hunting season comes along.

I'm not sure I would ever enjoy hunting a place that you seldom see outside the season, even if it were a place of my own. Just as it's been said that men don't hunt to kill but kill to have hunted, I don't go to the country to hunt, I hunt so that I can go the the country.

Edited by Texas Dan (07/01/18 10:06 PM)

Spring, Texas

#7213352 - 07/01/18 05:45 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
Jimbo1 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Grand Prairie/ Moran, TX
Great write up. If I don't go to the lease at least every three weeks I feel off. Cutting the grass at camp, clearing mesquites out of the lanes, painting blinds, etc... just feels different there and not really like work. I ride a desk 8-12 hours 6-7 days a week, so "therapy" is the right description.

#7213378 - 07/01/18 06:25 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
Wilhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
I go up every 2 or 3 weeks, we have the typical things such as mowing grass, moving feeder pen and feeder. Had to do some plumbing work inside the house at the lease then more from a leak outside. The squirrels built a big nest inside a air conditioner on the trailer as well as chewing wires into that go to the compressor. Got that fixed and hope they cannot get in there again. Just spend some time looking at the pasture and our tank. Water level is going down fast...need some rain. It is just good therapy.

#7213396 - 07/01/18 06:40 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
stxranchman Online   content
Obie Juan Kenobi

I managed ranches for a living starting way back in 1989. So my work and "therapy" were one in the same. Never felt like I was going to work since I enjoyed what I did everyday. Now days I live on my own place and work at my own pace. Still enjoy it everyday just as I get older the heat gets tougher and tougher on me, so I work early or late now.

#7213543 - 07/01/18 10:13 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
llbts1 Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Aledo
We work our tail ends off. And love every minute of it.

#7213552 - 07/01/18 10:41 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
gusick Offline
Pro Tracker

I mostly only hunt on public land, so I just have to put out trail cameras and look around.

#7213585 - 07/02/18 12:14 AM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
Ox190 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Grapevine,TX
I'm fortunate to have a buddy with a family ranch. We all go down and cut trails, fill feeders, handle all the work around the house. We have an annual lumberjack trip in January, we cut and split 6-7 cords of oak so everyone has firewood for home and the ranch is stocked.

#7213635 - 07/02/18 06:31 AM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
don k Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bandera, Tx
Off season. On season. Weekdays. Weekends. It is all the same. I live here and love every minute of it.

#7213962 - 07/02/18 12:54 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
DUKFVR Offline
Woodsman

The Most satisfying physical work is what I do at my place in San Saba county. Cedar cutting, working on stuff, feeder filling ,etc. To see it come together makes me happy. Can't wait to move out there & do it more often.

#7214626 - 07/03/18 11:02 AM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
Flashprism Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Corpus & Dickens
Up for a week last week. Mowed trails and paths and around cabin due to great rains, Replaced Tractor fan / Generator belt after 6 years, Trimmed mesquite branches over trails and roads. Rebuilt feeder after hogs flipped over and improved by adding bolts through top legs, filled 2 feeders for hog hunting, replaced 6 year old solar on initial feeder, replaced ref/ freezer that went while we were their drove 75 mi to Lubbock used appliance store had lasted 7 years, hunted hogs 4 nights for 4th No July smoker no luck. Killed coyote while sitting and one rattler while mowing. Checked and reset 2 game cameras, Tied my last 1/8 mile of (25) ceders to barb wire 2 miles of fencing now complete. Relaxed and enjoyed my amazing hide away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7214658 - 07/03/18 11:26 AM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: DUKFVR]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: DUKFVR
The Most satisfying physical work is what I do at my place in San Saba county. Cedar cutting, working on stuff, feeder filling ,etc. To see it come together makes me happy. Can't wait to move out there & do it more often.

I've sometimes wondered if I would enjoy being in the country less if I lived there and did all the things I enjoy doing there if I was able to do them every day. Something makes me believe it's the break from the weekly routine that makes trip to the country such a pleasure. I know there times when I'm on the road teaching in another state or country and think how much I look forward to turning of the highway at that small community with just a single flashing caution light.

Spring, Texas

#7215066 - 07/03/18 04:55 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: don k]
270Sendero Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: don k
Off season. On season. Weekdays. Weekends. It is all the same. I live here and love every minute of it.

Iím jealous Don. Have a few more years of work before I could relocate to our place. But, itís fun to think about. The only difference between deer season and off season is we replace hunting with mowing and maintenance

#7215100 - 07/03/18 05:31 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
603Country Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central Texas
We live on our place, so fixing things is constant, though I donít often have to fix anything if I donít feel like it or itís too hot. We love it out here. Had one coon, one big possum, 5 doe and 2 sets of twin fawns in the yard last evening. And in the midst of all that was an enormous owl sitting on the ground. I think heís eating cicadas. The wife truly loves her critters, and I have been threatened with harm if I shoot the big buck when the season opens. Heís way out past the ears already. I think I got his dad last year, and he was a beaut.

#7215167 - 07/03/18 07:35 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Weekends at the ranch are tough this time of year, stinking hot. Thank goodness it is baseball season, it makes the time inside bearable.
My brother told me recently that "ranch" is an old Indian word that means "something is broke." I believe it.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#7215231 - 07/03/18 08:37 PM Re: The average off-season weekend at the place where you hunt [Re: Texas Dan]
Stratgolfer Offline
Tracker

Time at the lease is nirvana. Able to breathe again. I hope to have a place someday to have of my own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide