Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,584
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7220227 07/10/18 03:37 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy
Step 6
Now I look confused at the range and don't know what to do. Maybe the Factory lot I got was bad from the manufacturer.

Question- why would the ammo be bad from the mfg? Factory ammo is generally ok ammo. There are better and worse one's for sure. Factory ammo is loaded on large progressive machines cranking out thousands of rounds an hour. Often times these fast rates on big machines are not known for high precision. But when you load ammo single stage, one at a time weighing out the powder, this process doesn't compare to factory ammo. It's 2 different ways to make the same product, but one has much tighter tolerances.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7220237 07/10/18 03:49 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Are we assuming accurate shooting when the person is benching sitting on a sand bag or is this shooting been done with zero equipment? I am just making sure these hunters saying the "my rifle don't like that round" that problem could be them and their inability to shoot versus the rifle.

Yes, it could certainly be the shooter. That's why I provide the service of dialing in rifles with good ammo. But when you shoot enough and can tell that a certain lot of ammo doesn't shoot that well, you know. I offer some 308 Win with a 168 grain Hornady BTHP for $69 per 100 rounds on my site. It's from my BULK line of ammo, meaning it's loaded on a progressive press at about 500 rounds an hour. I'm using once fired brass, commercial grade ball powder, Winchester primers, and Hornady bullet. I shoot this ammo out to 800 yards all the time in my 308. Yes, $.69 a round ammo to 800 yards. Is it going to perform the same as my match grade 308 Win ammo loaded single stage with new brass and Federal 210 M (match) primers, no. But it's $1.60 a round. So, that's the difference.

Another topic.. guys ask me all the time, "so how tight will your match ammo shoot in my rifle?" I don't know, how good of a shot are you, what scope and rifle are you shooting, etc, etc. If you have a $200 rifle with a package 3-9 scope on the top, it may be difficult to shoot a .25" group at 100 yards. But if you have a high-end, full custom rifle build with a 15 lb bull barrel on it and a 5-22 Nightforce scope on it, a .25" group might be very easy to do and common for that rifle. I don't like to guarantee anything on accuracy without testing it first. But what I tell shooters is, I will guarantee it be the best ammo you can buy loaded to the tightest tolerances possible, and loaded to the best accuracy node I know from testing previous rifles with match grade components. Think of custom ammo as like getting your street hot rod engine dialed in and tuned up by a custom engine builder and tuner for max power and speed.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: Scott W] #7220253 07/10/18 04:19 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: Scott W
Another example, I shot a long range match this weekend using a gun Chad let me borrow and ammo he loaded specifically for that gun, a .308 shooting 180 grain Berger Elite Hunter at 2700 fps. With that ammo, I was able to get 4 hits in a row at 1,100 yards. The only misses (first 3) were figuring out the wind. Once I figured out the wind, the consistency of the ammo allowed me to get 4 in a row on a 18" target. That was the farthest I've ever shot and I had all the confidence in the world in the ammo (and the gun), just need to get better at reading wind.

Thanks again Chad!

And Kyle will not claim he cheated still!!! roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: Bee'z] #7220397 07/10/18 01:23 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Originally Posted By: Scott W
Another example, I shot a long range match this weekend using a gun Chad let me borrow and ammo he loaded specifically for that gun, a .308 shooting 180 grain Berger Elite Hunter at 2700 fps. With that ammo, I was able to get 4 hits in a row at 1,100 yards. The only misses (first 3) were figuring out the wind. Once I figured out the wind, the consistency of the ammo allowed me to get 4 in a row on a 18" target. That was the farthest I've ever shot and I had all the confidence in the world in the ammo (and the gun), just need to get better at reading wind.

Thanks again Chad!

And Kyle will not claim he cheated still!!! roflmao

So you're saying Scott cheated because he used a buddies gun and that buddy just so happens to be an ammo manufacture that made ammo specifically for that gun?

I really don't see a problem with it. No worries I have my own gun and ammo made by my own hand this year sucker.

[Linked Image]

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #7220529 07/10/18 03:22 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Are we assuming accurate shooting when the person is benching sitting on a sand bag or is this shooting been done with zero equipment? I am just making sure these hunters saying the "my rifle don't like that round" that problem could be them and their inability to shoot versus the rifle.

Yes, it could certainly be the shooter. That's why I provide the service of dialing in rifles with good ammo. But when you shoot enough and can tell that a certain lot of ammo doesn't shoot that well, you know. I offer some 308 Win with a 168 grain Hornady BTHP for $69 per 100 rounds on my site. It's from my BULK line of ammo, meaning it's loaded on a progressive press at about 500 rounds an hour. I'm using once fired brass, commercial grade ball powder, Winchester primers, and Hornady bullet. I shoot this ammo out to 800 yards all the time in my 308. Yes, $.69 a round ammo to 800 yards. Is it going to perform the same as my match grade 308 Win ammo loaded single stage with new brass and Federal 210 M (match) primers, no. But it's $1.60 a round. So, that's the difference.

Another topic.. guys ask me all the time, "so how tight will your match ammo shoot in my rifle?" I don't know, how good of a shot are you, what scope and rifle are you shooting, etc, etc. If you have a $200 rifle with a package 3-9 scope on the top, it may be difficult to shoot a .25" group at 100 yards. But if you have a high-end, full custom rifle build with a 15 lb bull barrel on it and a 5-22 Nightforce scope on it, a .25" group might be very easy to do and common for that rifle. I don't like to guarantee anything on accuracy without testing it first. But what I tell shooters is, I will guarantee it be the best ammo you can buy loaded to the tightest tolerances possible, and loaded to the best accuracy node I know from testing previous rifles with match grade components. Think of custom ammo as like getting your street hot rod engine dialed in and tuned up by a custom engine builder and tuner for max power and speed.

Thank you very much ChadTRG42,

Great explanation.

So even if I buy the Savage hunter 11 trophy 308, you can guarantee it's accuracy per your shooting (my shooting probably not good right now)? Do I ship the rifle to you?

Basically what I need is no spending extra time at the range trying numerous different factory ammo with my rifle to see which one works and is accurate from 50 to about 300 yards. For me, I have the time to practice, but I don't have the time for trial and error tryin to fine tune ammo to rifle and scope . I want to be sure my rifle can shoot accurate with the scope and rifle and the rifle it was professional tested for. After the rifle is tuned with the right ammo and accuracy comfirmed. Then I just buy that ammo and go to range and practice on me being a better shooter.

Basically, I want to remove me out the equation for now, and get the right rifle, scope and ammo right for now. Thank you

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #7220558 07/10/18 03:44 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Basically, that's it. But even my standard match grade 308 ammo will easily shoot sub moa. The 308 is not a finicky round, and I personally shoot a lot of 308 myself. So I have that one dialed in. But to tune the ammo to your rifle, I would need to shoot your rifle with the bullet of your choice and dial it in. Here's some videos I've put together to show some info on what I do.

Also, this is how we play at the gun range! Here's my 12 yr old son with his first range session with me with his new Tikka 308, all factory rifle. He's shooting my 308 Win 168 grain A-max bulk ammo. He is shooting this without dialing the scope and only holding for elevation in the reticle. 1 round each at 200-600 yards, all first round hits. The targets are 2/3 IPCS at 2-4, and 2 moa in size at 500 and 600 yards. If I can teach my 12 yr old to do this, anyone can!

Here's some other fun videos we made.

My 308 rifle

Factory Tikka 300 WM:

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #7220622 07/10/18 04:45 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Thank you ChadTRG42 for responding and the examples of videos. I will watch your videos shortly.

So I basically have 2 choices.

1. Buy your ammo (of my factory choosing) that you reloaded towards 308. Then I go to range and shoot feeling confident in my ammo. Then the only issue could be my capabilities of shooting. But I will need to practice.

2. Bring my rifle to your company and you tune it towards the best ammo for hunting hogs and deer up to 300 yards.

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #7220625 07/10/18 04:47 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
In a nut shell, correct.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #7220636 07/10/18 05:01 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
GTB,

A day of instruction will greatly speed up progress towards proficiency, and is money very well spent starting off.

Fireman JG is up near Chad and has a private range, which is a more pleasant learning environment for trying to listen, learn, and focus.

They work together, so they make be able to combine the load work up and instruction into one trip for you.

Not sure, but worth asking them.

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: jeffbird] #7220669 07/10/18 05:44 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
GTB,

A day of instruction will greatly speed up progress towards proficiency, and is money very well spent starting off.

Fireman JG is up near Chad and has a private range, which is a more pleasant learning environment for trying to listen, learn, and focus.

They work together, so they make be able to combine the load work up and instruction into one trip for you.

I actually have 2 ranges. Chad can use one to develop a load, while I use the other one to instruct.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: jeffbird] #7221289 07/11/18 02:39 AM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
GTB,

Thank you jeffbird,

This is really good idea I will consider for sure as it will definitely increase my learning and get me to hunting faster and make sure I do good practice each time I practice with the right ammo and the right shooting technique.

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet!!! [Re: ChadTRG42] #7221601 07/11/18 03:27 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Have to agree w/ Chad on this one. I wanted to shoot the Nosler 64gr BSB in my Tikka T3. It took my 7 or 8 different powders to find one that gave me what I was looking for.
Sometimes, being stubborn about it pays off.

Though now I have 7 or 8 different powders to try with some other 223 loads for my AR. grin

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide