Forums46
Topics537,694
Posts9,727,865
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: ErnestTBass] #7209708 06/27/18 02:30 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
So, pardon my ignorance here (longtime Texas hunter; never gone west)...

Do you just sign up for these tags online? Then, if you get one, you just drive to that area with camping stuff and hunting equipment and get after it? Stated differently, how do you know where to go and what the hell you are doing?

I'm having a little trouble wrapping my mind around this public land thing.

We have lots of resources to help with that hunt in Wyoming. Our Biologist and GW readily give advice on where to hunt and how herds are doing. National Forest allows dispersed camping in lots of areas. Just pull in and set up camp.
For Wyoming you need at least 1 preference point now to draw a good hunt, but there is a set aside number of tags for the random draw.
Public land hunting up here is very good. Most of out true trophy areas are LQ tags on public land. You can fish , hunt game birds, shoot predators all on public lands.
Respect the weather and you'll be fine.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7209712 06/27/18 02:36 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
A great way to learn the ropes is get yourself some doe tags and/or cow elk tags. They are reduced price and a great way to put meat in the freezer while learning an area for a future buck or bull hunt.

Help with apps is only a click away, I'll give advice and many others will as well. The folks at WG&F also are very willing to help out, just give them a call.
Check out some western hunting forums too, Eastman's, Hunt talk, Monster Mulies etc. They have tons of advice and tips for western hunting.
You also have lots of folks on here that can answer your questions.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7209741 06/27/18 03:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
OK, whatever. You are still putting words in my mouth I never said while backing off of/changing may of your own erroneous ones made earlier. Again, no matter. It’s all out there for anyone to read at this point and reach their own conclusions. So it’s all good.

BTW, there is no such thing as a “premium” general tag. The word “general” describes them because they are available to all right away (most) or some within a short time (usually a year or two). There are good ones and, of course, some are better than others (most all are better than any OTC tag, which is common knowledge). But none are “premium” and none are “long term” as far as plans go. “Premium” is a word of art in the draw game that refers to OIL tags and or very hard to draw tags like Paunsagant in Utah or The Strip in Arizona, to name just two examples. Just FYI.

You are talking in circles-
Didn’t say there was a premium general tag. I consider general/ 100% draw and OTC the same, and they are.

I’m very aware of what premium is, thus why I still haven’t drawn my WY, UT, NV, AZ tag, or wasted all my CO pts. Like I said Limited entry doesn’t mean it’s any better then General/100% draw and OTC. There are also Limited entry units for NR but not Res.

I’m not setting home while waiting to draw a premium tag, I’ll keep hunting three states a year on 100% draw/OTC tags.

Like I said for a new outwest hunter with a limited budget I’d buy tags over gear and gear over PP. I’d spend $200 on new boots over buying points in multiple states. I havent deviated from this in the entire thread.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7209768 06/27/18 03:32 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Now that we have our daily dose of recreational outrage...

People could and have written pages explaining each of the states and how their draws work, the pros and cons of each etc. and still omit important information. There is literally more information than most anyone can process. I have to refresh myself every spring and learn new things every year. Not to mention most of the states make slight changes every year that change costs and fees, how to apply and so on. For example: somehow I didn't know that you kept your points if you didn't draw first choice in Wyoming. I know that some states burn points even if you draw 4th choice and some that you only burn with first, but I had never even thought to look that up in Wyoming.

The point most of the guys here are trying to convey is that if you want to try it, TRY IT! You don't need to and shouldn't necessarily just jump head first into applying for 8+ states before you have gone on your first DIY western hunt. If I spent what I did a year on tags and apps my first year and then decided that I didn't like it, it would be a tough pill to swallow.

You can apply most species in AZ for a total of $230 (I skip Bison and Javelina apps in AZ, don't pay for point guard if just starting out), Utah for $195 (14-15 species), around $240 for everything in Nevada (9 species). Colorado only cost me $31 for 7 species this year, wouldn't surprise me if they raise the application fee slightly next year. New Mexico is straight lottery, no points, you don't have to apply for everything every year, I usually apply for 1-3 tags and use WTA TAGS to cover the fee because I don't like fronting the tag fees. Idaho has a similar setup, but they limit what you can apply for (i.e. if you apply for Sheep, you can't apply for deer, elk, or antelope, and vice versa).

I grew up hunting whitetails from blinds over feeders. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and I still do it when I get the chance. I started hunting mule deer in high school when my dad got a deer lease that had mule deer and whitetails. I enjoyed chasing the mule deer outside of the blind and eventually decided that I wanted to start thinking out of the Texas box. In 2015 I paid a trespass fee for a Pronghorn tag in the Texas Panhandle, up by Stratford. I had a blast and went on a cancellation moose hunt in Alberta later that year.

I started applying in Western states in 2016. I began with AZ, AK, UT, CO (deer only), and New Mexico (using WTA TAGS). I drew 5 tags that first year, only ended up hunting 3 of them, and only harvested on one of those tags. It is very easy to get down on yourself on these hunts when you aren't seeing the game animals you expected. I also eventually bought points in Wyoming that fall as well.

In 2017, I started applying in Nevada and added points only in Montana and South Dakota. Last year I only drew two tags. I harvested a Coues deer in AZ and struck out on elk in NM, but I stuck out 6 days trying to dig one up, just couldn't find a bull. Found cows and lots of mule deer, and put over 30 miles on my boots.

Then this year I bought a point in Kansas and Iowa, as well. So after this year's apps, I have no more than 3 points for any one species in any state. For the most part I drew every tag that I expected to other than not getting first choice in Wyoming, with the only real surprise being my NM antelope tag (4% draw odds). I ended up with 3 antelope tags without using a single preference/bonus point (CO, NM, & WY), a CO mule deer with 2 points, and should end up with a cow elk tag in Utah that would cost me 2 points as well. Hoping to "bat" closer to 1000 this fall. I'm not picky on many of my hunts, but may be by the time I get to Wyoming if I already have a couple nice Pronghorn bucks in the freezer.

The Wyoming leftover draw is open until Friday June 29th, these applications don't gain or lose points to draw. The cheapest Western hunt you can do is a Wyoming doe antelope hunt. Even with the long drive, you are only $40 into a tag, and can pick up multiple tags. Around the same pricing in Utah for doe antelope, with world class fly fishing around most every corner as well.

There's a lot of opportunity in the east as well (Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc).

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7209786 06/27/18 03:52 PM
F
Fitzwho Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Anybody that has any questions is more than welcome to PM me and I will help you out with what I can.

Permian_Skullworks on Instagram
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7209824 06/27/18 04:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is my experience, even though it is almost all 2 decades old it still applies. Start when you are young, get the itch scratched while you can physically do everything. I had an advantage, being a military dependent and veteran I knew people in every state. We got together and planned the hunts so that we could hunt together, them being local meant I had not only a guide but a friend to hunt with. Not only elk, deer and antelope, but also pheasant, quail, dove and the waterfowl. From Oklahoma, to South Dakota, to Idaho and Arizona, throwing in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Montana. I also reciprocated, they came to Texas to hunt.

One day you will wake up and be too old, then it will be too late.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: dogcatcher] #7210329 06/27/18 11:38 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My biggest problem is I do not have anyone serious enough from my neck of the woods to go. I have a bunch of "heck yeah, let's do it! ................BS". Talked to a couple of guys from here via telephone. They are quite a bit harder hard core then I could stay up with.

Secondly, I don't know squat as I have never tackled these type of hunts. I don't know where to go area wise and scares me to think of trespassing on non public land.

Equipment? not much. Physical ability? discussed already. I wouldn't put any of you through a dilemma for a hunt.

Kinda talked myself out of it I guess??????

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: 7mag] #7210373 06/28/18 12:32 AM
S
shea.mcphail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: 7mag
My biggest problem is I do not have anyone serious enough from my neck of the woods to go. I have a bunch of "heck yeah, let's do it! ................BS". Talked to a couple of guys from here via telephone. They are quite a bit harder hard core then I could stay up with.

Secondly, I don't know squat as I have never tackled these type of hunts. I don't know where to go area wise and scares me to think of trespassing on non public land.

Equipment? not much. Physical ability? discussed already. I wouldn't put any of you through a dilemma for a hunt.

Kinda talked myself out of it I guess??????

I’m right there with you. Hell, I have a hard time finding anyone to go hunting public lands in Texas. I’m still young (28), but have a six month old at home. I need to get back in shape too. I just need to commit and do it. Otherwise, I’ll keep coming up with excuses.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7210377 06/28/18 12:34 AM
D
DOD Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Three years ago I made the decision that I was getting to old to wait much longer. I was 54 years old, horrible shape and had no clue of where to go and what to expect. I made my mind up to just go.

Honestly that was the hardest point. Once that decision was made I went to work deciding how I was going to make that happen. For me I figured mule deer would be the easier game to handle. I had hunted central New Mexico on a guided hunt on private property, but knew nothing of DIY public land.

Being from north central Texas, I began looking at New Mexico mule deer. I looked at available tags and applied per the instructions. Low and behold I drew a tag in Unit 30 and that began more research. I pieced together some equipment and my wife made me take my BIL along in case I fell into a ditch off the beaten path and off we went. I found that there is plenty of people that will offer sound practical advise for what you need and realist expectations. As said before the state of your choice fish and game department are great resources. I have gone twice to New Mexico and once to Colorado since I made that initial decision and glad I did. Those hunts are what I think about setting in stands here in Texas, the planning the fact it is DIY on public land are a different feeling and reward and I for one am glad I made that hard simple decision to go.

Just do it.

Founding Member of the 7MM STW Club
Member Cull Hunting Association
Best times that I have had has been fishing/hunting with my wife and daughter
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: Fitzwho] #7210378 06/28/18 12:34 AM
S
shea.mcphail Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Fitzwho
Now that we have our daily dose of recreational outrage...

People could and have written pages explaining each of the states and how their draws work, the pros and cons of each etc. and still omit important information. There is literally more information than most anyone can process. I have to refresh myself every spring and learn new things every year. Not to mention most of the states make slight changes every year that change costs and fees, how to apply and so on. For example: somehow I didn't know that you kept your points if you didn't draw first choice in Wyoming. I know that some states burn points even if you draw 4th choice and some that you only burn with first, but I had never even thought to look that up in Wyoming.

The point most of the guys here are trying to convey is that if you want to try it, TRY IT! You don't need to and shouldn't necessarily just jump head first into applying for 8+ states before you have gone on your first DIY western hunt. If I spent what I did a year on tags and apps my first year and then decided that I didn't like it, it would be a tough pill to swallow.

You can apply most species in AZ for a total of $230 (I skip Bison and Javelina apps in AZ, don't pay for point guard if just starting out), Utah for $195 (14-15 species), around $240 for everything in Nevada (9 species). Colorado only cost me $31 for 7 species this year, wouldn't surprise me if they raise the application fee slightly next year. New Mexico is straight lottery, no points, you don't have to apply for everything every year, I usually apply for 1-3 tags and use WTA TAGS to cover the fee because I don't like fronting the tag fees. Idaho has a similar setup, but they limit what you can apply for (i.e. if you apply for Sheep, you can't apply for deer, elk, or antelope, and vice versa).

I grew up hunting whitetails from blinds over feeders. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and I still do it when I get the chance. I started hunting mule deer in high school when my dad got a deer lease that had mule deer and whitetails. I enjoyed chasing the mule deer outside of the blind and eventually decided that I wanted to start thinking out of the Texas box. In 2015 I paid a trespass fee for a Pronghorn tag in the Texas Panhandle, up by Stratford. I had a blast and went on a cancellation moose hunt in Alberta later that year.

I started applying in Western states in 2016. I began with AZ, AK, UT, CO (deer only), and New Mexico (using WTA TAGS). I drew 5 tags that first year, only ended up hunting 3 of them, and only harvested on one of those tags. It is very easy to get down on yourself on these hunts when you aren't seeing the game animals you expected. I also eventually bought points in Wyoming that fall as well.

In 2017, I started applying in Nevada and added points only in Montana and South Dakota. Last year I only drew two tags. I harvested a Coues deer in AZ and struck out on elk in NM, but I stuck out 6 days trying to dig one up, just couldn't find a bull. Found cows and lots of mule deer, and put over 30 miles on my boots.

Then this year I bought a point in Kansas and Iowa, as well. So after this year's apps, I have no more than 3 points for any one species in any state. For the most part I drew every tag that I expected to other than not getting first choice in Wyoming, with the only real surprise being my NM antelope tag (4% draw odds). I ended up with 3 antelope tags without using a single preference/bonus point (CO, NM, & WY), a CO mule deer with 2 points, and should end up with a cow elk tag in Utah that would cost me 2 points as well. Hoping to "bat" closer to 1000 this fall. I'm not picky on many of my hunts, but may be by the time I get to Wyoming if I already have a couple nice Pronghorn bucks in the freezer.

The Wyoming leftover draw is open until Friday June 29th, these applications don't gain or lose points to draw. The cheapest Western hunt you can do is a Wyoming doe antelope hunt. Even with the long drive, you are only $40 into a tag, and can pick up multiple tags. Around the same pricing in Utah for doe antelope, with world class fly fishing around most every corner as well.

There's a lot of opportunity in the east as well (Arkansas, Alabama, Tennessee, etc).

These are the types of posts that I enjoy. Seeing what exactly someone else has done to get into the game is very helpful. Anybody else want to break down what they applied for year by year?

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7211617 06/29/18 01:33 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I have PP for colorado but did not use them this year, I'll burn them next year on an area close to Wyoming that I can get into pretty easy.
We apply for LQ elk and deer every year along with antelope. Also put in for doe deer, doe antelope, and cow elk.
We have apps in for moose and Mt. goat along with bighorn sheep on years we can apply, 5 year wait once you draw a tag for some species.

The Hunt PLanner on the WG&F website has great info: a map that shows public lands, area boundaries, drawing odds and harvest statistics.
For Wyoming key is get some PP, you can buy them each year if you don't apply for a tag.
Wyoming, also, is half public land in our state, it's not hard to find good ground to hunt.
We're a far drive for many but with our very low population and NR quotas on licenses hunting is great up here, not near as many folks as Colorado OTC areas in our general elk and deer areas.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7211776 06/29/18 05:40 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Making the decision to go is the hardest part. We had our share of rodeos and failures everyone told us we were crazy, maybe they are right. Just go do it don't over think it. You will either love it and plan to go every year or hate it and never go back.
you will get frustrated with everyone that is there with you after a few days so choose who you go with wisely. When you see elk, you will forget about all of that.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7211786 06/29/18 06:07 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
would like to do an antelope hunt this year, if possible. looked up Wyoming and looks like their general over the counter tags end today... don't really have any clue what to do, look for, or locations. any input would be greatly appreciated. just starting with antelope to get a feel for the west, open to other states as well. pm me if you have any input or advice. thank you.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: Nitro27] #7211847 06/29/18 07:55 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Nitro27
Making the decision to go is the hardest part. We had our share of rodeos and failures everyone told us we were crazy, maybe they are right. Just go do it don't over think it. You will either love it and plan to go every year or hate it and never go back.
you will get frustrated with everyone that is there with you after a few days so choose who you go with wisely. When you see elk, you will forget about all of that.

A lot of truth in this. I am still at this stage and the mistakes are part of the experience for me. Choosing who you go with is huge!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7211859 06/29/18 08:11 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Western hunting for NR is all centered around budget and time.If you can afford it and have the time, hunt the same “premium”/LE every year and figure the herds out. Do the same on OTC/low Point units to figure them out if funding is tight. Every year won’t go as planned, but you at least learn something by what you see while you’re there.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: rifleman] #7211888 06/29/18 08:59 PM
C
clarkfork Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Weather can be an issue for non-residents heading up for rifle season...., it can make or break a hunt where you are committed to a certain area and have limited time. If you're able/up to it, consider a bow hunt in early Fall - nice weather and the bulls are rutting.

I'm from western MT and have lots of family still there in prime elk, muley, and whitetail areas..., we do a lot of bow hunting and hardly see another hunter during archery season other than a few other locals. There's great archery deer/elk hunting within earshot of I-90 on public land. Rifle season is a different story....., non-stop road hunters cruise the logging roads early in the season so you gotta get back in aways off the beaten path.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txshntr] #7211916 06/29/18 09:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Nitro27

A lot of truth in this. I am still at this stage and the mistakes are part of the experience for me. Choosing who you go with is huge!!

I have to say, they may have gotten plenty frustrated with me, but on the inaugural, THF, Sneaky #1, OTC, DIY, "OMG you're going on a hunt with a bunch of guys you met on the internet!" hunt, I honestly can say I didn't get frustrated one bit with a single guy. And, you can ask my wife, or my analyst, that is extremely rare. And I just smelled elk. Once. Okay, I saw a cow's arse as she fled my presence towards the end of the hunt. 'Most fun I've had with my clothes on in a long time.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: Whack n stack] #7212346 06/30/18 02:06 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted By: Whack n stack
would like to do an antelope hunt this year, if possible. looked up Wyoming and looks like their general over the counter tags end today... don't really have any clue what to do, look for, or locations. any input would be greatly appreciated. just starting with antelope to get a feel for the west, open to other states as well. pm me if you have any input or advice. thank you.

Everything is a draw for NR in Wyoming until all the leftover drawings are finished. There may be some tags for OTC but I'm betting not for antelope. Buy you a PP this coming July for next year. You really need a couple of PP or more for a great area but the lower point areas are not terrible, just have little public land for access.
Go to the Hunt Planner on the hunting page of the WG&F website. It has great info, a map that shows all the areas and land status, private and public. You can get drawing odds and harvest odds on the webpage too.
Look for areas that have good accessible public lands and look at the drawing odds for licenses.
Public lands are where you want to hunt antelope, no need for private trespass fee.

This year Wyoming had a price increase and it looks like odds went up for lots of animals, next year or two it will level off and odds should get settled back down. Colorado had tons more applicants with their changes so perhaps some will look there instead of Wyoming in the near future and lower the odds a bit.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: maximus_flavius] #7212912 07/01/18 10:08 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Pass. I kill everything I want to right here in Texas.

+1

Doesn’t west Texas count as western hunting?

I love traveling & exploring the western US, but I’m not applying for a permit/tag BS just to be denied.

My SIL and I applied this year and were drawn for cow elk the first year. We had talked about going and finally pulled the trigger to go. We are headed there in mid Oct for the 2nd rifle. I look forward to the country and plan on enjoying it whether I kill or not.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: 7mag] #7214027 07/02/18 07:25 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
My biggest problem is I do not have anyone serious enough from my neck of the woods to go.

Equipment?

Same here. Nobody to go with - experienced or not.

I'll get whatever equipment I need that I don't have so that's not an issue.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7214475 07/03/18 12:22 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I remember reading an article written by Randy Newberg that when he first started out Elk Hunting he went something like 7 years before actually getting one. Western hunting is fun, but it takes a commitment to do and funds, gear as well. I've gone two years in a row now and last year I finally saw elk, so that was a plus. Now just have to figure out how to see them in range and the proper time/setting.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: txtrophy85] #7214518 07/03/18 01:21 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
For a start bring your family up for a camping trip some summer, maybe stay in a FS cabin somewhere in hunting country. Get to know what you're up against.
I would try to get 2-3 guys, or gals, together for a hunt.
Do research on harvest stats and drawing odds, all right on the G&F website. You can also look up, the total number of PP holders and how many in each point pool.
Buy a PP this year and every year you don't apply.
Maybe get your feet wet on a drop camp hunt.
You can rent equipment in Denver for camping, trailers and wall tents with everything you need. You don't have to drive it all up the first time.
General elk tags can be drawn with few PP and they are not bad areas. Remember Wyoming has a low population and restricts NR hunters so it's not like OTC areas in Colorado, lots and lots of hunters.
Antelope is the best first time western hunt for anyone. Get a decent areas for access and come enjoy. You should have time to check out some other spots.
Doe and cow tags are cheap, and random draw so apply for some in good areas to come check it out.

Re: Lets talk about Western Hunting for the Newbs.... [Re: Mickey Moose] #7214519 07/03/18 01:21 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
My biggest problem is I do not have anyone serious enough from my neck of the woods to go.

Equipment?

Same here. Nobody to go with - experienced or not.

I'll get whatever equipment I need that I don't have so that's not an issue.

Like it's already been said. The hardest part is deciding that you are gonna go. After that you'll do the research and take up the offers already given out even in this post.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide