6107579 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7207015 - 06/24/18 09:32 AM Too old, crippled and poor
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: West Texas
As I find myself getting only older and more back issues etc. I keep thinking of what I could have done in years past as far as hunting. I still long for a elk hunts, a real elk hunt not a caged up one. I still irk for a true free range mule deer hunt.

When my body was capable I couldn't afford it. I always kept saying one of these days. I think my one of these days are gone but I can still dream up If you been there and done that you are blessed. I will watch from the sidelines and wish.

If your young and have the knick to do it, get after it. I learned only way to long ago there are many public and cheap hunts to be had outside of Texas. Kick rocks and say you did it, or at least tried.

Carry on.

#7207028 - 06/24/18 09:49 AM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
Cast Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
The best advice I ever got was -

ĎIf you wait Ďtill you can afford it, youíll never buy it.í

I have a short attention spa

#7207029 - 06/24/18 09:49 AM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
wow, this is exactly me, two back surgeries and Dr. says the only chance of reliving pain is to try again

#7207043 - 06/24/18 10:17 AM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Of late, I've been wondering if I should have committed to an Axis hunt this month. The price is great, but that money sure could be used on my land and rifle range.

This thread helps me not regret committing to the hunt. I'll go, and hopefully harvest a beautiful buck.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#7207050 - 06/24/18 10:29 AM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
hawk Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: San Angelo, TX
Yep, so true.

#7207051 - 06/24/18 10:29 AM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Love that advice.

I got started in western hunting late (mid-30s) but have tried to make up for lost time ever since.

I would advise any young hunter to go and do the hunts they want while they are still young. I certainly realize finances are a big issue for most, but thereís a heckuva a lot of hunting that can be done for reasonable cost.

OTC/General draw elk, deer, and pronghorn, some Canadian bear hunts, heck even some plains game Africa hunts will not break the bank. Itís a matter of priorities. I have never put myself in a financial bind to make a hunt, but I have made some sacrifices in other areas to do so.

It is true that you are only young once. Itís also true that tomorrow is not guaranteed. Take the hunts while you can - the memories last forever.

#7207061 - 06/24/18 10:58 AM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
The body can heal at any age. Look into holistic health. It takes an iron will to get your diet right but the inflammation caused from certain foods can really shut you down. Food isn't made the same as it was in the past and all the changes in our food ingredients is slowly poisoning our body. Its tough but if you can cut the foods that cause inflammation and strengthen your liver and digestive system to detox the toxins you've fed yourself in the past, your body can heal at any age. Its much cheaper in the long run. I also believe in having faith in God or at minimum a positive attitude. Holding negative emotion taxes your nervous system and our nerves are how we recharge and create energy, heal,deal with pain, motivate ourselves it goes on and on....our nerves are how our brain and body communicate. A great example is if you've ever spent a day with someone who is always mad or depressing...at the end of the day your whole body wants to shut down. Prime example of Nerves at work.

I have an 84 year old man Ive been working with whoes been living a very boring life until recently. He fell and fractured his hip and was bed ridden a few weeks. After that he was talking to his family about wanting to die cause he felt tired all the time and sick. They brought him in and we changed his diet and did acupuncture and massage for a few weeks. A month later he was out walking every morning. Now, another month later this same 84 year old man who was ready to die is jogging every morning. His Faith and Diet and therapy were game changers for him. Look into holistic health.

Edited by Wacm (06/24/18 10:59 AM)

#7207125 - 06/24/18 12:17 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
QMC(SW/EXW) Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: 7mag
As I find myself getting only older and more back issues etc. I keep thinking of what I could have done in years past as far as hunting. I still long for a elk hunts, a real elk hunt not a caged up one. I still irk for a true free range mule deer hunt.

Don't let that stop you. You can go to the northwest section of CO around the town of Craig and hunt both elk and mulies in country that is mostly rolling sagebrush and cedar ridges. Not to hard to get around and not hard to get game out. You won't kill a monster there but the herds are really healthy. Getting a cow elk there is pretty much a gimme if you don't care about antlers.

#7207154 - 06/24/18 12:56 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
colt.45 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: wondering about the woods
cheers 7mag
Took a couple antilope, got close ta several mulies that were bedded part way up hill, bang no shots were fired, before hit texas.
Planned trip ta Colorado for elk, got with friend, plan got switched ta an elk hunt in Arizona, draw hunt, payed in, bang didnt get drawn, got money back, wish would have went on the Colorado hunt while had the money.

Still broke old & decrepit, saving for me poormans food stamp for here. Been seeing lots of deer, some turkey, & pheasent, lots of ducks & geese. Just gotta get shoulder built up so can hold rifle, gun. Archery tis out, but 60+ can use cross bow.
Would truely enjoy some more hog hunten, scratch they gots lots held up in big hog barns, nidea thought bout busten few loose rofl got hooked on it.
Not dead yet, so...
Best wishs ta all, just gotta over come & adapt.
flag

i'm postaddic

#7207165 - 06/24/18 01:15 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
CitySlickerHunter Online   happy
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Tarrant County,TX
Originally Posted By: 7mag

When my body was capable I couldn't afford it. I always kept saying one of these days. I think my one of these days are gone but I can still dream up If you been there and done that you are blessed. I will watch from the sidelines and wish.

If your young and have the knick to do it, get after it. I learned only way to long ago there are many public and cheap hunts to be had outside of Texas. Kick rocks and say you did it, or at least tried.

Carry on.
I hope/Pray your way of thinking IS incorrect. You are in far Better condition then me. And I look forward to sharing MANY more hunt camps w/ you and the little guy. Also I really think that mule deer hunt is doable SOONER then later. GOD BLESS my friend! cheers

#7207178 - 06/24/18 01:29 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I have been very lucky with health and hunting. I have always had good health and still in pretty good shape. I have always hunted a lot and now I hunt even more than I did 30 yrs ago. I was lucky enough to manage ranches where I got to hunt every day also just not for myself as much as I would have liked. I was still able to balance work with a Mule Deer lease of my own. Been lucky enough to be to hunt Mule Deer in West Texas, Alberta and Kansas. Hunted WT all over Texas and a few years in Kansas. I am able to hunt almost every day of the WT season from archery to the end of MLD if I choose. The only bucket list hunt would be for Moose in the Yukon. These days I prefer to hunt my own place and just enjoy seeing wildlife, taking a few pics then shooting something when I like it.

#7207206 - 06/24/18 02:17 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
txtrophy85 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Biggest thing that kept me from starting western hunting earlier was no one to go with.

If your not from there and donít have any contacts going to OTC is a daunting task if you havenít done it before.

I got with a group of guys and that made a huge difference.

Western hunting (including my trans pecos lease) is my favorite type of hunting now.

If itís a one time shot for you...spend the money and go hunt a mule deer or elk. Budget for it and make it happen

#7207247 - 06/24/18 03:10 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
majekman Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Tha Rock
In last 5yrs ive had more heart attacks than Fred Sanford. Ive been paddled back to life twice and in a coma for 9 days....Iíve got 3 stents, a difibulator, pacemaker and LE implants. Iím a walking, babbling wonder. My point being it has slowed me down but I still charge as hard as I can. Never will stop. Iíve been very fortunate to take many trophy whitetail and a good bull elk. Always been my dream to hunt big Canadian whitetail and working on that for next year if I can get my old fart huntin bud outta his rocking chair and my batteries on my implants keep working. If not itís cool. Seen a lot, done a lot and whenever my creator calls me home Iím ready but Iíll go kicking and screaming.
Yes!! Make things happen while your young or youíll regret it

#7207323 - 06/24/18 04:46 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Heck of a post 7mag. Thanks for the reminder.
I have some scheduling to do.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#7207329 - 06/24/18 04:54 PM Re: Too old, crippled and poor [Re: 7mag]
tlk Online   content
Veteran Tracker

I have been blessed to go on hunts all over the world - some of them pretty rough. Will keep going as long as I can.

To OP - there are elk hunts out there that are not canned but also not super expensive or physically challenging.

Edited by tlk (06/24/18 07:50 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide