Forums46
Topics538,005
Posts9,731,692
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: txtrophy85] #7205628 06/23/18 02:21 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: Scott W
With my 300WM I would have to "Kentucky" ~26" or 6.25 moa at 400 yards.

I'd rather have the ability to dial that or use a reticle than hold it and that's not even accounting for wind.

That said, I don't think Firemans comments are off base. 2 decades and never tracked an animal is probably more off base, unless you didn't shoot anything in that time.

200 yard zero my 180 grain accubonds will be 19” low at 400. 6 1/2” low at 300.

Those are easy numbers. My .257 wby is only 12” low at 400.

I’ll take a lot more 200 yard shots than 400 yards. Aside from coyotes and stuff I’ve only taken one shot approaching 400 yards and because of the angle I was shooting over the animal.

I don’t like shooting stuff at long range. Too much stuff can happen. A 400 yard shot for me is a worst case scenario for me where there is no choice to get closer. I’m a 200-300 yard guy and most of my animals have been killed at 200 yards or less

That describes 95% of hunters across the globe.

All the paper-punching mindset does for that group is introduce a bunch of unnecessary swing thoughts. KISS is always the best way in the field.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: txtrophy85] #7205629 06/23/18 02:22 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’d buy something with tactical turrets, it’s just going to be a lot easier in the long run. Your drop will change with elevation, temp, and pressure. Why risk the shot? Why risk wounding the animal or losing the animal when simply learning a new technique can significantly reduce those chances?

Everybody talks about being an ethical hunter. We pick the right caliber, the one we believe will be a 1 shot kill and knock him off his feet. We pick the right bullet, the one we think will best achieve that 1 shot catastrophic kill. Why not invest in a system that allows you to take the “guessing” out of how high to hold over? That being a scope with adjustable turrets.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: txtrophy85] #7205631 06/23/18 02:24 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Because it ain't necessary. That is all.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7205633 06/23/18 02:25 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

I'd rather have the ability to dial that or use a reticle than hold it and that's not even accounting for wind.

That said, I don't think Firemans comments are off base. 2 decades and never tracked an animal is probably more off base, unless you didn't shoot anything in that time.

I’ll take a lot more 200 yard shots than 400 yards. Aside from coyotes and stuff I’ve only taken one shot approaching 400 yards and because of the angle I was shooting over the animal.

I don’t like shooting stuff at long range. Too much stuff can happen. A 400 yard shot for me is a worst case scenario for me where there is no choice to get closer. I’m a 200-300 yard guy and most of my animals have been killed at 200 yards or less

All the paper-punching mindset does for that group is introduce a bunch of unnecessary swing thoughts. KISS is always the best way in the field.

I disagree with the KISS analogy. Go Prepared. Cash me outside, how bout dat?

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: RiverRider] #7205634 06/23/18 02:26 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: RiverRider

Then he might as well sling a 223 at it with that attitude

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: BigPig] #7205636 06/23/18 02:27 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: BigPig

We'll see if you're prepared tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: txtrophy85] #7205637 06/23/18 02:27 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
What's wrong with BDC reticls? I don't remember.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: BigPig] #7205639 06/23/18 02:29 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I’d buy something with tactical turrets, it’s just going to be a lot easier in the long run. Your drop will change with elevation, temp, and pressure. Why risk the shot? Why risk wounding the animal or losing the animal when simply learning a new technique can significantly reduce those chances?

Everybody talks about being an ethical hunter. We pick the right caliber, the one we believe will be a 1 shot kill and knock him off his feet. We pick the right bullet, the one we think will best achieve that 1 shot catastrophic kill. Why not invest in a system that allows you to take the “guessing” out of how high to hold over? That being a scope with adjustable turrets.

At 400 yards and in there’s no ethical considerations or “risk” of wounding or missing if one simply knows the basics of shooting and some rudimentary ballistics. None. Zero.

You don’t need a scope with adjustable turrets for hunting at ranges of 400 and under. In fact, they can be a hindrance. Which you may encounter one day if you can’t get on an animal fast enough while dialing or finding the right reticle mark to use as an animal walks or runs out of your life. All of which was unnecessary to begin with.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: KRoyal] #7205642 06/23/18 02:30 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

We'll see if you're prepared tomorrow.

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: BigPig] #7205645 06/23/18 02:32 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

Nailed it. Some people just love to chit on threads like this and act like they know what the [censored] they are doing, but I am not spending 5-10k to go kill an elk and make a SWAG as to where my bullet is going to end up when I pull the trigger. Obviously it has worked well for however long but we will agree to disagree.

[Linked Image]
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7205647 06/23/18 02:34 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

At 400 yards and in there’s no ethical considerations or “risk” of wounding or missing if one simply knows the basics of shooting and some rudimentary ballistics. None. Zero.

You don’t need a scope with adjustable turrets for hunting at ranges of 400 and under. In fact, they can be a hindrance. Which you may encounter one day if you can’t get on an animal fast enough while dialing or finding the right reticle mark to use as an animal walks or runs out of your life. All of which was unnecessary to begin with.

I’ll remeber that and pass it along to our snipers the next time they have a hostage situation. I’ll tell them to put down the tactical turret and use the simpler duplex instead. I mean, it’s only 400 yards. Hopefully it’s not your daughters head next to the hostage taker. I mean, it’s only 400 yards

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: BigPig] #7205648 06/23/18 02:34 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Folks hunted successfully with some pretty primitive optics for a long time before FFP and all this turret twisting came along and did fine. A plain old 4x, 6x, or 3-9x still works just as well as it ever did whether or not you want to believe it. Shoot the way you like. I urge everyone to shoot the way they like, including with iron sights (yes, those still work too, and at impressive ranges in the hands of an accomplished rifleman), Weaver 4x Micro-Tracs, and Nightforce ATACRs. Stop trying to pushthe LR agenda on folks who aren't interested.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7205650 06/23/18 02:36 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Sight in 3” high at 100 and you don’t even need to hold off hair on an elk at 400 with a .300 Win Mag. As said above, it ain’t rocket science.

Wind drift is wind drift - has to be accounted for and is an artful estimation no matter the reticle used.

right on NP. Did it that way for 40 years with a 7mag and duplex reticle.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Bee'z] #7205653 06/23/18 02:37 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Nailed it. Some people just love to chit on threads like this and act like they know what the [censored] they are doing, but I am not spending 5-10k to go kill an elk and make a SWAG as to where my bullet is going to end up when I pull the trigger. Obviously it has worked well for however long but we will agree to disagree.

Right! 400 yards is no big deal, yet I’ve never seen him drag his know-it-all [censored] to the Hunters Rifle Match. It’s only 300 yards. Should be a walk in the park for him.

“Kentucky windage” you are literally aiming at the world in most cases. Aim Small, Miss Small.

Last edited by BigPig; 06/23/18 02:40 AM.
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: RiverRider] #7205654 06/23/18 02:38 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Folks hunted successfully with some pretty primitive optics for a long time before FFP and all this turret twisting came along and did fine. A plain old 4x, 6x, or 3-9x still works just as well as it ever did whether or not you want to believe it. Shoot the way you like. I urge everyone to shoot the way they like, including with iron sights (yes, those still work too, and at impressive ranges in the hands of an accomplished rifleman), Weaver 4x Micro-Tracs, and Nightforce ATACRs. Stop trying to pushthe LR agenda on folks who aren't interested.

Nobody is pushing the “long range” agenda, we are simply saying there is a better solution than Kentucky windage.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: BigPig] #7205655 06/23/18 02:38 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

And the fallacy with this mindset, and the mindset of lots of turret spinners, is assuming the LR shooter can dope wind, and nobody can do that every time. Not Tubb, Nodnett, nobody.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: txtrophy85] #7205657 06/23/18 02:39 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
How about a Burris Eliminator scope?

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Bee'z] #7205660 06/23/18 02:40 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

The only ones chitting on this thread are all the paper-punchers basically either insulting him or insisting he get something that he specifically said he didn’t want simply because they think they know better because they have complex scopes and must justify their necessity.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Jgraider] #7205662 06/23/18 02:42 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Jgraider

Sight in 3” high at 100 and you don’t even need to hold off hair on an elk at 400 with a .300 Win Mag. As said above, it ain’t rocket science.

Wind drift is wind drift - has to be accounted for and is an artful estimation no matter the reticle used.

right on NP. Did it that way for 40 years with a 7mag and duplex reticle.

No, no, NO! Wrong! That won't work anymore. But we don't get it.
roflmao

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: txtrophy85] #7205663 06/23/18 02:42 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I seem to remember there were no takeres on a kentucky windage experiment we were looking to conduct last year at Fireman's. Just to see what happened and what the results were confused2

[Linked Image]
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7205664 06/23/18 02:43 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R

The only ones chitting on this thread are all the paper-punchers basically either insulting him or insisting he get something that he specifically said he didn’t want simply because they think they know better because they have complex scopes and must justify their necessity.

Exactly. And I don't get this need to push this stuff on other people. That's horsesh!t.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Jgraider] #7205667 06/23/18 02:43 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

And the fallacy with this mindset, and the mindset of lots of turret spinners, is assuming the LR shooter can dope wind, and nobody can do that every time. Not Tubb, Nodnett, nobody.

You are correct in regards to the wind, that’s my biggest enemy. So I elected to have a scope that assists me with it. It doesn’t eliminate the wind, or tell me where to hold, but this little hash marks give me a better idea that a flat line does.

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Jgraider] #7205668 06/23/18 02:44 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Truth.

I grow so weary of all the LR paper-punchers lecturing others as unethical and/or incompetent on hunting threads at normal ranges. It’s laughable.

Turrets, turrets, turrets. All God’s chillun gots to use turrets. Or they suck. grin

Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7205670 06/23/18 02:45 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

Justify what?

[Linked Image]
Re: My forever rifle is here!....now which scope? [Re: Bee'z] #7205671 06/23/18 02:45 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I seem to remember there were no takeres on a kentucky windage experiment we were looking to conduct last year at Fireman's. Just to see what happened and what the results were confused2

You are correct. They didn’t want to look bad in front of others. We all miss targets, even with the twisty turrets, some of us are ok with that, others apparently not so much.

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide