Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201410 06/18/18 10:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Our landowner could get quite a bit more than we pay. He was offered double years ago and turned it down. He rather deal with us who don't ask him for a thing and don't expect anything. Probably talked to him 3 or 4 times in 8 years. We aren't on a trophy lease so that helps.

Our land owner isn’t involved at all. We deal with the ranch foreman/manager. Most the hunters have never met or even seen the owner.

Yes, that's exactly what I pointed out was a risk in my first post. As a landowner, if you put someone between you and your customer, you are inviting exactly what you described. The landowners intermediary accepting bribes in exchange for hiding what could be valuable information (and at least letting the landowner who has a bigger stake decide). There are landowners who don't care how much they lose as long as someone else is handling the headaches. But those are few and far. And based on the fact that in your case the manager decided NOT to tell the landowner, your landowner ain't one of them.

If you have had the same leasees for the past 20 years, are they at the mercy of having to always be the highest bidder?

Some ranchers are ran by board of directors, they set the price. Rancher/Operations Manager is there to make sure that price is met, while insuring the “liabilities” are kept to a min.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Lease Boss [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7201468 06/18/18 11:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Our landowner could get quite a bit more than we pay. He was offered double years ago and turned it down. He rather deal with us who don't ask him for a thing and don't expect anything. Probably talked to him 3 or 4 times in 8 years. We aren't on a trophy lease so that helps.

Our land owner isn’t involved at all. We deal with the ranch foreman/manager. Most the hunters have never met or even seen the owner.

Yes, that's exactly what I pointed out was a risk in my first post. As a landowner, if you put someone between you and your customer, you are inviting exactly what you described. The landowners intermediary accepting bribes in exchange for hiding what could be valuable information (and at least letting the landowner who has a bigger stake decide). There are landowners who don't care how much they lose as long as someone else is handling the headaches. But those are few and far. And based on the fact that in your case the manager decided NOT to tell the landowner, your landowner ain't one of them.

If you have had the same leasees for the past 20 years, are they at the mercy of having to always be the highest bidder?

Some ranchers are ran by board of directors, they set the price. Rancher/Operations Manager is there to make sure that price is met, while insuring the “liabilities” are kept to a min.

It depends. If I have a good relationship with them I’ll decide based on that, as well as current values ((surely you know values change over time), and other criteria.

My point is that the LO needs to be given the information on the income source that is the biggest money earner on most places in good deer country.

And for the fourteenth time we aren’t talking about the handful of ranches owned by Jeff bezos types. We are taking about the vast majority of ranches, that include trexs one.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201480 06/18/18 11:17 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A ranch run by a Board of Directors. Count me out. Owning, serving on the board, leasing...whatever.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201485 06/18/18 11:20 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
So BoBo, say you’re away on a sheep hunt in Mexico and you leave a hand in charge of selling your cotton crop. Your hand decides since you care more about a sheep hunt than being there to sell it yourself, that you don’t really care how much you get for cotton. He gets chummy with the buyers rep and sells your crop for 20% less because well.. the buyers rep is a nice guy and takes your hand on a gulf fishing trip.

Pretty dern near exactly what went on in Kansas. The names have been changed to protect the “innocent”. Lol

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Creekrunner] #7201486 06/18/18 11:21 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
A ranch run by a Board of Directors. Count me out. Owning, serving on the board, leasing...whatever.

You can count them on one hand. Even ted turners isn’t run that way.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201567 06/19/18 12:32 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
So BoBo, say you’re away on a sheep hunt in Mexico and you leave a hand in charge of selling your cotton crop. Your hand decides since you care more about a sheep hunt than being there to sell it yourself, that you don’t really care how much you get for cotton. He gets chummy with the buyers rep and sells your crop for 20% less because well.. the buyers rep is a nice guy and takes your hand on a gulf fishing trip.

Pretty dern near exactly what went on in Kansas. The names have been changed to protect the “innocent”. Lol

That’s dumb and weird example market sets the elevator price not the buyer. Plus most guys contract out for a certain amount...

If I empowered him with the selling ability, then it comes with perimeters. If his sell price fell with in those perimeters, then not getting maximum price is on me. If it fell below those perimeters, I would suspect he would be gone before I got home.

If I wanted maximum money, I’d bonus him on total NET profit

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201574 06/19/18 12:33 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

You can count them on one hand. Even ted turners isn’t run that way.

Well that one hand is represented on this thread... so might me more then you think.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7201586 06/19/18 12:43 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

That’s dumb and weird example market sets the elevator price not the buyer. Plus most guys contract out for a certain amount...

Actually I can kind of see that on cotton, due to how it’s sold but then again, market price is so visible it’s hard to fathom it.

Any way, none the less I’m not for sale on my cash leases. I have turned down higher offers many of times. I’ve also had some of the same families cash lease farming for going on three generations. Some of those relationships aren’t for sale. Thier price and stewardship follows with in a threshold I think equals fair ROI while meeting my stewardship objectives

Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201615 06/19/18 01:26 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Man, I thought this thing died along time ago. Somebody must have broken a tooth while biting on one of his gold coins.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7201649 06/19/18 02:15 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

If I empowered him with the selling ability, then it comes with perimeters. If his sell price fell with in those perimeters, then not getting maximum price is on me. If it fell below those perimeters, I would suspect he would be gone before I got home.

It was a hypothetical knucklehead. Don’t get lost in the fine points that don’t matter. Just remember the facts. A ranch hand was bribed to hide a better offer to YOU. And you never had the opportunity to accept or reject the offer.

And you’ve made it clear that profit is important to you. BTW, that’s nothing to be ashamed of, is more common by 90+%, and is the biggest driver in a capitalistic free market. You aren’t against that are you??

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: jetdad] #7201651 06/19/18 02:15 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jetdad
Man, I thought this thing died along time ago. Somebody must have broken a tooth while biting on one of his gold coins.

It ain’t dead til I say it’s dead. Or a mod decides to flex.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201654 06/19/18 02:21 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Bunch of high school drama in here...

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201660 06/19/18 02:26 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

What if you were offered a steak and a round of golf?

Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201665 06/19/18 02:31 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Somehow I had a feeling that the bribing the ranch hand thread would come back around.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Lease Boss [Re: jetdad] #7201681 06/19/18 02:49 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

What if you were offered a steak and a round of golf?

Uh, it’d have to be a steak and golf round worth 10 or 15 grand. And then it would be my decision. If I found out that the steak and golf were being given to hide another dollar per acre... someone would lose their job.

Last edited by therancher; 06/19/18 02:52 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7201682 06/19/18 02:51 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Obviously ranch hands are underpaid... at least my buddies hand sold illegal hunts to earn real money. Lol.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: Simple Searcher] #7201683 06/19/18 02:52 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Cleric
Bunch of high school drama in here...

Think it is more Summer time boredom. Most of us are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Somehow I had a feeling that the bribing the ranch hand thread would come back around.

It was fun enough the first time for a second go at it rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Txduckman] #7201687 06/19/18 02:54 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Obviously ranch hands are underpaid... at least my buddies hand sold illegal hunts to earn real money. Lol.

Ha! And trexs only took bribes.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201689 06/19/18 02:55 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Uh, it’d have to be a steak and golf round worth 10 or 15 grand. And then it would be my decision. If I found out that the steak and golf were being given to hide another dollar per acre... someone would lose their job.

And so goes the way of the world...mans word, loyalty, friendship, proper management of land, improvements to the land, and increased value of certain assets all contributed to another mans property aren’t worth a dollar an acre to a land owner. Should be sold out from under them for $1/acre to a random off the internet cheers

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201690 06/19/18 02:56 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Ha! And trexs only took bribes.

Mine got screwed!!! A round of golf and a cheap steak rofl

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201695 06/19/18 03:06 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

It was a hypothetical knucklehead. Don’t get lost in the fine points that don’t matter. Just remember the facts. A ranch hand was bribed to hide a better offer to YOU. And you never had the opportunity to accept or reject the offer.

And you’ve made it clear that profit is important to you. BTW, that’s nothing to be ashamed of, is more common by 90+%, and is the biggest driver in a capitalistic free market. You aren’t against that are you??

Don’t get mad at me about you bad hypocritical...lol farmer

You arguing with out all facts. Not my place or lease although I know it well.

I look at a dinner and golf as a thank you more so then a bribe, especially in this case.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: txshntr] #7201718 06/19/18 04:17 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

And so goes the way of the world...mans word, loyalty, friendship, proper management of land, improvements to the land, and increased value of certain assets all contributed to another mans property aren’t worth a dollar an acre to a land owner. Should be sold out from under them for $1/acre to a random off the internet cheers

Nice try nimrod, but that’s not at all what I said. I said if an employee lied by omission I’d fire him/her. I said it should be my decision. Every rancher with my tenure has had and probably turned down offers for more money. But it always needs to be my decision. I don’t need employees susceptible and willing to be bribed to hide information from me. Good employees are hard to find. And they’re valuable. Cause there’s always some “good ol boy” trying to get them to screw their boss for a little graft.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7201719 06/19/18 04:20 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Don’t get mad at me about you bad hypocritical...lol farmer

You arguing with out all facts. Not my place or lease although I know it well.

I look at a dinner and golf as a thank you more so then a bribe, especially in this case.

He told us all the facts. It is benchmark bribery. The steaks and golf kept the price of cotton from the guy making money off cotton. It’s as simple as that. It ain’t hard. Even you could figger it out.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201724 06/19/18 04:45 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

Nice try nimrod, but that’s not at all what I said. I said if an employee lied by omission I’d fire him/her. I said it should be my decision. Every rancher with my tenure has had and probably turned down offers for more money. But it always needs to be my decision. I don’t need employees susceptible and willing to be bribed to hide information from me. Good employees are hard to find. And they’re valuable. Cause there’s always some “good ol boy” trying to get them to screw their boss for a little graft.

rofl That is exactly what you said. As you told Bobo, caring more about profit is ok...just own it and let’s move on

And this isn’t about YOU as much as you think it is. Thankfully there are people that value the items I listed more than the almighty $1 and people that truly understand that a golf game and a steak aren’t a bribe when you have known someone for 25 years.

Now, if I had bought him the steak and round of golf in an effort to convince him not take the offer to the owner...you might have half a point.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7201725 06/19/18 04:50 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

He told us all the facts. It is benchmark bribery. The steaks and golf kept the price of cotton from the guy making money off cotton. It’s as simple as that. It ain’t hard. Even you could figger it out.

When did I ever say that I took the rancher golfing and cooked him a steak so he wouldn’t take the offer to the owner? I couldn’t care less what the rancher did with the offer and sure didn’t do it with the intention of maintaining my position on the ranch. rofl

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide