6107229 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7201200 - 06/18/18 01:58 PM Silencer
snake oil Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Graham
I'm sure there has been some threads on this but what is the best in your opinion...ÖÖ.

#7201213 - 06/18/18 02:03 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
define best? quietest, lightest, smallest, cheapest? What caliber are you suppressing? There's lots of factors here.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7201217 - 06/18/18 02:07 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
BigPig Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Forney, Tx
SilencerCo Omega300 for rifles. Lightest and quietest

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#7201227 - 06/18/18 02:13 PM Re: Silencer [Re: BigPig]
skinnerback Offline
Gordon Ramsays Mentor

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
Originally Posted By: BigPig
SilencerCo Omega300 for rifles. Lightest and quietest

#7201231 - 06/18/18 02:15 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
Happy Birthday Matt Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: The Colony
I have the Omega300 from SilencerCo. Works GREAT. I wouldn't say quietest. But, it is very light, very quiet, and has a great tone. I use it on 308, both bolt action and AR, 6.5 creedmoor, and 5.56. No complaints at all. It uses their ASR quick attach system that I can put on any rifle I want to use it on and makes it a breeze to move from one to another.

For a handgun can, I have a Rugged Obsidian45. It's super quiet and pretty light.

Thanks!!
Matt

#7201233 - 06/18/18 02:19 PM Re: Silencer [Re: Matt]
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Greenville, TX
Originally Posted By: Matt
I have the Omega300 from SilencerCo. Works GREAT. I wouldn't say quietest. But, it is very light, very quiet, and has a great tone. I use it on 308, both bolt action and AR, 6.5 creedmoor, and 5.56. No complaints at all. It uses their ASR quick attach system that I can put on any rifle I want to use it on and makes it a breeze to move from one to another.

For a handgun can, I have a Rugged Obsidian45. It's super quiet and pretty light.

Thanks!!
Matt

Which one do you think is the quietest?

#7201268 - 06/18/18 02:55 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
What is the "best" really does depend on what you are looking for, as others have alluded to. However, assuming you are looking for an all-around rifle can to use on multiple hosts, I agree that the SilencerCo Omega is the way to go.

My Favorites:

Rifle - SilencerCo Omega
Rimfire - SilencerCo Spectre II or Q El Camino
Pistol - Rugged Obsidian or SilencerCo Osprey

#7201392 - 06/18/18 04:55 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker

I test a few a month.. frankly, if they are the same size, there isn't THAT much difference in loudness between any of them..

weight, length, accuracy and attachment method are what matter most

Disclosure statement
Affiliated with Silencer Shop, Steiner Optics,Trijicon and Wilson Combat. Dealer for Steiner, Flir and Pulsar.

#7201412 - 06/18/18 05:11 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Some of it depends on your budget. The Omega is fairly affordable and given it's size and weight, quite a good value. If you can afford more, Crux are supposed to be pretty outstanding. If you can't swing the Omega, there are some good buys on AAC 762 and similar. I like the Omega; I also have the Harvester that is still light but a bit longer and doesn't have all the capacity of the Omega-but I don't need it to as it's a dedicated bolt-rifle can. Depending on what you need yours to do, though, it is plenty of can and very affordable. Quite a few people like GA, YHM, and a couple of other brands.

CCoker gave good advice above. If you are looking for an AR can, then weight and length are pretty important. If it's just a rifle can and you typically hunt from a box over a feeder, they become less so (expect for getting it out the window!).

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

#7201414 - 06/18/18 05:16 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
cxjcherokec Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Azle, TX
My definition of "best" is customer service and repeatability. Therefore I chose thunderbeast the 2nd time around. On my original 51T AAC brake I had no "wiggle", 2 others had the wiggle which caused stringing and erratic poi shifts when it did lock up. The thunderbeast reputation in the precision scene was the best, subsequently my last 3 purchases have been from them with 0 regrets.

#7201592 - 06/18/18 07:54 PM Re: Silencer [Re: Matt]
_Lee Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Round Rock tx
Originally Posted By: Matt

Thanks!!
Matt

Matt, Iím waiting on my Omega 300, should get it this month or next hopefully so Iím not
Familiar with them yet. Whatís the benefit of the ASR quick attach system vs just using the direct thread?

#7201634 - 06/18/18 08:59 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
Midwaytmm Offline
Tracker

Best is relative term that will start lots of arguments.... Iíve got
Omega
Dead air sand man (great mounting system)
Sig (good mounting system)
Q. (DT)
Sico harvester DT Iíve got 5 of them . They are by far the least expensive. I bought 2, then bought 3 more after Iíd bought the others. Theyíre my personal favorite . Cool kids donít use them, so theyíre old news . ....

Make a list of whatís most important to you. Find one that fits that . Buy 2 of them. It makes it easier while youíre waiting on your next 3 or 4

#7201693 - 06/18/18 09:58 PM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
Korean Redneck Offline

Loc: Houston
I'd say right now, at this very moment, the Silencerco is by far the best!

https://silencerco.com/summer-kickoff-promotion/

I think now is the time for me to pull the trigger, pop in intended.

#7201802 - 06/19/18 07:06 AM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
snake oil Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Graham
Chad it's going on a .22 creedmoor, not really worried about price and would like the quietest.

#7201827 - 06/19/18 07:57 AM Re: Silencer [Re: snake oil]
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker

if you want the quietest, get a full sized can.
The hard part about saying which one is the quietest is that unless you test them in identical conditions with a very expensive DB meter (over $10k) you don't know for sure. There is no standard that all manufactures adhere to in their published specs. Even doing reviews on them it is hard, I spent $300 bucks on a mic for my camera to hopefully capture the sound better, but it's impossible to really capture and demonstrate on a YT video the difference in loudness due to compression.

I would take absolute accuracy and return to zero every time over a can that is slightly quieter.
I love my Crux cans, two shorties, Nemesis30 and an Archangel. I can switch between any of them have the bullets cutting the same hole.
The short ones aren't as quiet of course but they are fine for hunting, especially on a longer barrel.

The Q and Sig cans sound good, same can really.
I have a Deadair Sandman Ti (full size, direct thread) on my desk right now, it is no where near as light as my Crux cans but I bet it sounds good.

Griffin makes good cans and I like their taper mount system, that type of interface is to me the best, I prefer it over direct thread as it is concentric and provides for a repeatable mount and thus return to zero. Gives you flexibility and even run hard on an AR won't back off like direct threads can.

I am a huge fan of lightweight cans so I definitely like Ti and the ones I have are SBR and full auto rated. For hunting, things like the Griffin Sportsman that are aluminum are good.

I tend to categorize them as short, medium and long. I think the midsize cans are a great balance between size, weight and sound reduction. The Dead Air Sandman-S and the Griffin Reece7 are both good examples and they are priced well.

Get what you want, it's kind of a lifetime purchase.

Disclosure statement
Affiliated with Silencer Shop, Steiner Optics,Trijicon and Wilson Combat. Dealer for Steiner, Flir and Pulsar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide