Print Thread
Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? #7197794 06/14/18 08:03 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Sorry for the long read I actually wanted to put more detail but if yall need more info I’m happy to supply it

I have been having some issues with my shooting since last year and it has messed with my confidence, to the point where some weekends I decided to not bow hunt because whenever I have been practicing leading up to the weekend I don’t feel confident.

I think it’s mostly mental but this is what I got going on, I feel like I am constantly micro adjusting something every time I shot. All of a sudden I noticed my anchor point changed so I try and fix that and it’s like I have forgotten where it was

All of a sudden the fighting gravity is harder, I can’t hold as steady as I once did so then I figure maybe it’s my form did that change? So I start trying to fix that

Its like every time I practice I find a issue or maybe I'm creating a issue but instead of fixing anything I'm second guessing and making it worse

To try and fix these things I start looking up different attachments and stuff but I don’t know if any of it really works or if it is just going to make this metal thing I got going on worse by adding more to it.

What I am thinking is maybe going back to the basics, I think maybe getting a kisser will help maybe even lowering my poundage but I don’t know the pros or cons of these 2 ideas

I’m at the point I would love some advice, maybe something you changed that has really helped or any advice to get me back to comfortable.

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7197825 06/14/18 08:35 PM
T
TexasTURhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I've been bow hunting for less than 1 year (so I am certainly no expert) but switching to a thumb release has been the most beneficial thing I've done. I had inconsistent anchor point problems also. I was putting pressure on the 'wrist strap style' release in a variety of different ways, and was having left and right issues because of it. The thumb release fixed this problem for me. I'm shooting a Carter Wise Choice and also have a target 3 model.

watch some of John Dudley's instructional videos. You might hear him talk about something that clues you in on what you're doing wrong.

Also, post a picture of yourself at full draw - the other (more experienced) archers on this forum can check your stance and equipment fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQaSsfnXMPE

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7197839 06/14/18 08:49 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Quote:
What I am thinking is maybe going back to the basics, I think maybe getting a kisser will help maybe even lowering my poundage but I don’t know the pros or cons of these 2 ideas

When things go wrong go back to the beginning. If you have an experienced shooter they might can help you with the basics and perhaps spot any issue.

identify and pick spot on target
grip
draw
anchor
sight
release
follow through

Repeat

it really isn't that hard and if done consistently arrows will go to the same place.

Poundage should be pretty easy really. I like one that I can sit on the floor and draw without sky drawing or any other gyrations or struggles to get to the anchor point location.

Practice with purpose. By that if any of the pre-release steps above does not feel right lower it down and back off for a little bit think about it and go through your routine again.

Do not worry bout how many arrows you shoot fewer is not necessarily a bad thing. Getting ready for season I often do not shoot more than 5 shots a day, but they all are the best shots I can make and if they go where intended I am done for that session. I might or might not shoot later that same day but if I do it is with the same attention to detail for each shot.

Once you develop YOUR routine it should not take long for a shot.

Very important do not forget to breath through the process, oxygenated blood helps the muscles draw, hold and follow through and when the oxygen level in the blood starts getting low vision is the first thing to be effected so there goes aiming.

Have gone through this many times with many people. Hope it helps a little.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7198670 06/15/18 05:55 PM
T
TxHunter87 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thanks for the advice guys

TexasTruHunter-i actually made the switch to a thumb release 2 or so years ago, it was a game changer, i use a carter whisper and love it, ill look into those videos see what i can find and do you really think a pic of me at full draw will help?

Kmon1-I like the idea of the experienced shooter but my problem is in my group that bow hunts i am by the most experienced, i have been shooting since i was 18 and turned 31 this year, as you can read that doesn't mean i am some expert most, of my experience is self taught or research or asking on here. i have tried to go to different archery shops but from 3 or 4 i have visited they all seem to almost contradict each other, it almost seems each shop has a personal opinion on something and that's all they will point you to,but from the sounds of it you may work at a bow shop is this true?

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7198709 06/15/18 06:34 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I am not working right now from health issues but have over 5 years of working bow shop and the way the ones working there now teach is mostly from me as I trained them. Have been out of work for 6 months and customers are still looking for me when they come in. many of which I worked with on shooting form at one time or another. Have helped some forum members a few times as well.

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7198753 06/15/18 07:17 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Talk about thumb releases I started with one in 1981 I think it was. Hot Shot release company in Rockwall Texas (no longer there) release still works

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7202905 06/20/18 12:28 PM
B
Billy02 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
i suggest instead of taking it so serious maybe enjoy it for sometime and don't plan to achieve a target, just do it. with time when you will enjoy you will get better at it and when you keep on trying to put your self under pressure to do better it will only destroy you confidence and not gain. so relax and make it fun to bow.

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7202922 06/20/18 01:05 PM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
repetition is the key. Once you figure out what anchor points work for you, ( nose, corner mouth, ear/jaw)
Never change. It will be in your preset ritual forever.

Stop changing your equipment. Any change ( peeps, string, draw length, lbs, releases, etc MESSES with EVERYTHING!!

*Have someone evaluate your form to provide you with confidence and correction if needed.
*Purchase equipment that suits you!!
*shoot daily ( 50-100 arrows)
* don’t buy into gimmicks, it’s all about your form
*shoot 3d/ 5spot/ etc.

Re: Confidence issue..maybe? Advice? [Re: TxHunter87] #7202946 06/20/18 01:27 PM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Change 50- 100 to just shoot when ever possible.

Your bow cannot even be properly set-up till you get your anchor points corrected. Once corrected you’ll have to tweet things again to make just right.

Most archers have a case of ocd ranging from severe ( the great archers), to mild ( average ).

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide