Forum Stats
64058 Members
45 Forums
421520 Topics
6106320 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7196764 - 06/13/18 02:24 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: 8pointdrop]
PKnTX Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Collin County
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
No falconer would ever fly his bird on another BOP. I was joking.

Just curious. Thanks.

Lucero

#7196779 - 06/13/18 02:42 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: 8pointdrop]
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Originally Posted By: therancher
Get a falcon, they hate hawks, eagles, and owls. Become a falconer fight fire with fire.

Even better, hire a falconer. Falcons are like swimming pools and horses.

Yeah currently have a red tail and Iím still an apprentice. Havenít taken the falcon jump yet. If I could trap a sub adult falcon Iíd have one already, because I canít afford to buy one. Not a big enough population of them to attempt to trap one locally, like red tails.

Had some buddies with hawks many moons ago when I was at A&M. Learned from them I wouldnít have the time or commitment it takes to own them. Love watching them work. In England since they outlawed guns many have turned to hawks for hunting.

I love watching the videos of the Kazakhstanis hunting deer, goats and wolves with theirs. Incredible.

#7196780 - 06/13/18 02:43 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: skinnerback]
SherpaPhil Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Dallas
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I also understand that Federal Law trumps State Law MOST of the time (not always)...but I'm a bit of a rebel I guess. I even rip the tags off of my mattresses and risk fines and imprisonment. grin

When would federal law ever not overrule state law?

#7196816 - 06/13/18 03:26 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: SherpaPhil]
DLALLDER Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Pittsburg, Texas
Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil

I also understand that Federal Law trumps State Law MOST of the time (not always)...but I'm a bit of a rebel I guess. I even rip the tags off of my mattresses and risk fines and imprisonment. grin

In dealing with pot and illegals!!!!!!!!

#7196817 - 06/13/18 03:26 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: SherpaPhil]
skinnerback Online   content
Gordon Ramsays Mentor

Loc: Rockport, Tx.

Start with marijuana.

#7196857 - 06/13/18 04:18 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher]
machine73 Offline
Woodsman

Federal regulations would not trump state law when it comes to things that take place entirely within the state. Theoretically. Pot sales that don't cross state lines aren't any of the Fed's business unless they really want to fight it out in the Supreme Court. I don't anyone in Washington wants to deal with the repercussions if they lose that fight.

#7196871 - 06/13/18 04:38 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher]
First_Chance Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: dfw
TPWD has a depredation permit process. I know first hand that the State can, will, and has issued permits for caracaras eradication for killing new born calves on a very large well known S. TX ranch (commercial cattle operation).

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/depredation/index.phtml

#7196882 - 06/13/18 04:51 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: First_Chance]
Gordon Ramsays Mentor

Originally Posted By: First_Chance
TPWD has a depredation permit process. I know first hand that the State can, will, and has issued permits for caracaras eradication for killing new born calves on a very large well known S. TX ranch (commercial cattle operation).

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/depredation/index.phtml

up

#7197052 - 06/13/18 07:15 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: skinnerback]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
My understanding is there is a big difference between going out and hunting them (which is a big no-no without a permit), and catching them in the act of actually killing your livestock. popcorn

And they had the carcasses and pics of eagles on their sheep/goats. Guess who won in court? There are good men who spent prison time believing the way you do.

I understand it's risky business. If someone really has an issue with raptor predation, best thing to do is apply for a permit to kill them. We were talking caracaras though. The law only mentions Bald & Golden Eagles by permit. I don't think most people care about shooting caracaras if they were causing problems. Unless you're with the Fed, of course. I've only had dealings with one Federal Warden, and he was a mofo.

Letís be honest, God created SCBís string rays in your country because of Feds.

#7197056 - 06/13/18 07:19 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Gordon Ramsays Mentor

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
My understanding is there is a big difference between going out and hunting them (which is a big no-no without a permit), and catching them in the act of actually killing your livestock. popcorn

And they had the carcasses and pics of eagles on their sheep/goats. Guess who won in court? There are good men who spent prison time believing the way you do.

I understand it's risky business. If someone really has an issue with raptor predation, best thing to do is apply for a permit to kill them. We were talking caracaras though. The law only mentions Bald & Golden Eagles by permit. I don't think most people care about shooting caracaras if they were causing problems. Unless you're with the Fed, of course. I've only had dealings with one Federal Warden, and he was a mofo.

Let&#146;s be honest, God created SCB&#146;s string rays in your country because of Feds.

Sorry Bobo you lost me, LOL.

#7197148 - 06/13/18 09:12 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Was a joke, kind of. Itís a 80mph flats bay boat. Hard to talk to them going 80

#7197438 - 06/14/18 08:40 AM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Gordon Ramsays Mentor

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Was a joke, kind of. It&#146;s a 80mph flats bay boat. Hard to talk to them going 80

Aaaahhhh LOL, gotcha.

#7198076 - 06/14/18 07:59 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher]
Simple Searcher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Some folks think popping buzzards, owls and roadrunners is okay too, but they are protected under the same laws that protect eagles and hawks, and cardinals, and finches, and...
Having a feather from any of the protected birds (pretty much every bird) is also a no-no.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#7198147 - 06/14/18 09:12 PM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher]
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker

Get a falcon, they hate hawks, eagles, and owls. Become a falconer fight fire with fire.

Even better, hire a falconer. Falcons are like swimming pools and horses.

Yeah currently have a red tail and Iím still an apprentice. Havenít taken the falcon jump yet. If I could trap a sub adult falcon Iíd have one already, because I canít afford to buy one. Not a big enough population of them to attempt to trap one locally, like red tails.

Had some buddies with hawks many moons ago when I was at A&M. Learned from them I wouldnít have the time or commitment it takes to own them. Love watching them work. In England since they outlawed guns many have turned to hawks for hunting.

I love watching the videos of the Kazakhstanis hunting deer, goats and wolves with theirs. Incredible.

Those videos are awesome have you seen the one where the massive golden carries the adolescent goat(id say 50-60lbs) probabaly.50 yards and drops it off the cliff to.kill it.

#7198359 - 06/15/18 08:36 AM Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: skinnerback]
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker

Start with marijuana.

Federal law still trumps the state on that one - they just have chosen to ignore the illegal activity in States that ok it.

JR

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide