Forums46
Topics537,925
Posts9,730,749
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7197148 06/14/18 02:12 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Was a joke, kind of. It’s a 80mph flats bay boat. Hard to talk to them going 80

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7197438 06/14/18 01:40 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Was a joke, kind of. It’s a 80mph flats bay boat. Hard to talk to them going 80

Aaaahhhh LOL, gotcha.

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7198076 06/15/18 12:59 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Some folks think popping buzzards, owls and roadrunners is okay too, but they are protected under the same laws that protect eagles and hawks, and cardinals, and finches, and...
Having a feather from any of the protected birds (pretty much every bird) is also a no-no.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7198147 06/15/18 02:12 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Get a falcon, they hate hawks, eagles, and owls. Become a falconer fight fire with fire.

Even better, hire a falconer. Falcons are like swimming pools and horses.

Yeah currently have a red tail and I’m still an apprentice. Haven’t taken the falcon jump yet. If I could trap a sub adult falcon I’d have one already, because I can’t afford to buy one. Not a big enough population of them to attempt to trap one locally, like red tails.

Had some buddies with hawks many moons ago when I was at A&M. Learned from them I wouldn’t have the time or commitment it takes to own them. Love watching them work. In England since they outlawed guns many have turned to hawks for hunting.

I love watching the videos of the Kazakhstanis hunting deer, goats and wolves with theirs. Incredible.

Those videos are awesome have you seen the one where the massive golden carries the adolescent goat(id say 50-60lbs) probabaly.50 yards and drops it off the cliff to.kill it.

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: skinnerback] #7198359 06/15/18 01:36 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil

I also understand that Federal Law trumps State Law MOST of the time (not always)...but I'm a bit of a rebel I guess. I even rip the tags off of my mattresses and risk fines and imprisonment. grin

When would federal law ever not overrule state law?

Start with marijuana.

Federal law still trumps the state on that one - they just have chosen to ignore the illegal activity in States that ok it.

JR

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: sparrish8] #7198540 06/15/18 04:13 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Even better, hire a falconer. Falcons are like swimming pools and horses.
[/quote]
Yeah currently have a red tail and I’m still an apprentice. Haven’t taken the falcon jump yet. If I could trap a sub adult falcon I’d have one already, because I can’t afford to buy one. Not a big enough population of them to attempt to trap one locally, like red tails. [/quote]

Had some buddies with hawks many moons ago when I was at A&M. Learned from them I wouldn’t have the time or commitment it takes to own them. Love watching them work. In England since they outlawed guns many have turned to hawks for hunting.

I love watching the videos of the Kazakhstanis hunting deer, goats and wolves with theirs. Incredible. [/quote]

Those videos are awesome have you seen the one where the massive golden carries the adolescent goat(id say 50-60lbs) probabaly.50 yards and drops it off the cliff to.kill it. [/quote]

Yep

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: skinnerback] #7198551 06/15/18 04:18 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: First_Chance
TPWD has a depredation permit process. I know first hand that the State can, will, and has issued permits for caracaras eradication for killing new born calves on a very large well known S. TX ranch (commercial cattle operation).

https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/depredation/index.phtml

up

And no one questioned that. The thread was initiated because people were indicating they believed they were perfectly justified killing raptors just because they were predating or a threat to their livestock.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7198597 06/15/18 05:02 PM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
There's also something in Federal law about a state governor being allowed to proclaim a certain season where raptors can be shot.

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7199160 06/16/18 03:58 AM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
All of this talk about eagles and what not made me reach for a bottle of Eagle Rare bourbon for a night cap.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7199187 06/16/18 05:41 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Question - pigeon is on the MBTA but there is no bag limit or season for pigeon. What’s the right answer on the mile long list?

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: TLew] #7199419 06/16/18 04:58 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: TLew
Question - pigeon is on the MBTA but there is no bag limit or season for pigeon. What’s the right answer on the mile long list?

There are native pigeons, such as Red-billed Pigeons along the Rio Grande (called Paloma Morada in Mexico "Purple Dove"), and Band-tailed Pigeons in the mountain country out west, or White-crowned Pigeons in Florida, all of which are protected and subject to hunting regulations.

But, the species of pigeons occurring under bridges and around town are not protected in any way. They are in the same category as feral pigs.

The current common name for the non-native species is Rock Pigeon. They were called Rock Doves for a few decades, but moved back into the pigeon family which seems pretty obvious.

There is another non-native species of pigeon that has become very common in Texas, the Eurasian Collared Dove. As a feral non-native species, it too is the same as feral pigs and not protected.

Here is a link worth scrolling down to see other similar species.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rock_Pigeon/id

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: machine73] #7199423 06/16/18 05:11 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: machine73
Federal regulations would not trump state law when it comes to things that take place entirely within the state. Theoretically. Pot sales that don't cross state lines aren't any of the Fed's business unless they really want to fight it out in the Supreme Court. I don't anyone in Washington wants to deal with the repercussions if they lose that fight.

You don’t know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7199472 06/16/18 06:40 PM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Sure

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7199481 06/16/18 06:48 PM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Texas has it's own power grid to avoid Federal regulation. Perfect example.

Re: PSA for those who consider killing raptors to protect livestock. [Re: therancher] #7199727 06/16/18 11:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Most criminal acts are committed entirely within one state. That’s not the controlling issue.
It’s the migratory nature of the birds that brings them under federal jurisdiction in this case.
Could be any number of things for other laws, most of the time federal jurisdiction comes from the Commerce clause - which has been very broadly defined since just after WWII.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide