Forum Stats
63661 Members
45 Forums
452617 Topics
6254018 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7193858 - 06/10/18 09:39 AM Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes!
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Rowlett, Tx
I'm craving some strawberry ice cream, but show what you make and how, would love to start a new family tradition this summer.

#7193860 - 06/10/18 09:49 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
stxranchman Online   content
Obie Juan Kenobi

In for the recipes. Nothing beats homemade ice cream. food HEB had there Texas Season's Poteet Strawberry in stock for a short time each year around May and it is dang good. Not homemade but still really good.

#7193861 - 06/10/18 09:50 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
fredeboy Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Burleson TX
Have you tried Strawberry Banana with the old Eagle Brand recipe? Been my all time favorite for over 40 years! banana

#7193865 - 06/10/18 09:57 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
jetdad Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Grayson county
I use a custard base and can make favorite flavors from there. It's a little more trouble and takes more time, but worth it to me.

#7193869 - 06/10/18 10:04 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
skinnerback Online   content
Gordon Ramsays Mentor

Loc: Rockport, Tx.
Love homemade ice cream! Grew up making it with my parents & grandparents, lots of good memories there even though I about cranked my arm off. I'm 41 yrs old and have never made it as an adult, and I even have an electric ice cream maker someone gave me. Great thread, I'm gonna start making it with my little ones now. Watching for recipes. up

#7193890 - 06/10/18 10:28 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
chalet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Side of the Metromess
5 quart machine
1 can eagle brand milk
1 can condensed milk
6 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar
add milk to the fill line
Rock salt and ice in the bucket obviously before you turn it on.

That is the one I use, got it from my Mom. You can add whatever you want, if its fruit make sure you cut it small because it will freeze solid in the mixer. We don't make it much anymore, the favorite was to dump in a can of Hershey's syrup. Best chocolate ice cream you will eat...

#7193907 - 06/10/18 10:48 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: chalet]
NewGulf Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: New Gulf, Texas
Originally Posted By: chalet
5 quart machine
1 can eagle brand milk
1 can condensed milk
6 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar

That is the one I use, got it from my Mom. You can add whatever you want, if its fruit make sure you cut it small because it will freeze solid in the mixer. We don't make it much anymore, the favorite was to dump in a can of Hershey's syrup. Best chocolate ice cream you will eat...

this is the one my mother uses plus she adds peaches. cant get enough of it

#7193924 - 06/10/18 11:09 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
Always ready 2 hunt Online   content
Pro Tracker

sounds good. I recently had a widow mention missing the old ice cream socials and everyone hand cranking their machines and then waiting around to eat. I plan to invite her over and make some homemade (with electric 5 qt).

But my mom had a killer recipe for homemade snow ice cream on the rare occasions we got snow in E TX. I have her recipes in her handwriting before she passed and should probably have them laminated

#7193936 - 06/10/18 11:18 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
Cast Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Youíre getting frozen custard recipes. Ice cream is different.

To make six quarts of ice cream -

Two quarts half and half
Two cups sugar
Teaspoon of Mexican vanilla (two if itís gringo vanilla)
One quart of diced strawberries sweetened

Pour half and half into the container
Add sugar and stir until dissolved completely

Put the dasher back in the machine

Add the strawberries and stir

The mix will expand once frozen so it should be a little sweeter now, unfrozen

Cover it, ice it down and salt it. Once the electric stalls, remove it and use the hand crank to finish it. When itís finished, remove the damper and scrape it clean back into the machine. Dump ice and salt mix out to drain off water. Repack the ice cream in ice and salt it down. Cover with towel and let it firm up.

Research White Mountain ice cream machines.

I have a short attention spa

#7193940 - 06/10/18 11:24 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: NewGulf]
HuntnFly67 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: NewGulf
5 quart machine
1 can eagle brand milk
1 can condensed milk
6 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar

+1 add in some of that good Mexican vanilla and the summers of my youth come flooding back.

#7193955 - 06/10/18 11:38 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: HuntnFly67]
Cast Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Originally Posted By: NewGulf
5 quart machine
1 can eagle brand milk
1 can condensed milk
6 eggs beaten
1 cup sugar

+1 add in some of that good Mexican vanilla and the summers of my youth come flooding back.

This is a great recipe and Iíve made it and love it, but raw eggs have always been in my diet. Don't feed raw eggs to folks with weakened immune systems. If unsure, just warm this mix slowly to pasteurize it. Now itís custard and safe for them to eat. Itíll also be smoother and creamier.

I have a short attention spa

#7193985 - 06/10/18 12:38 PM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Cast]
chalet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Side of the Metromess
You know, never thought about the raw eggs til a few years ago a friend of mine asked for the recipe after one of the kids birthday parties and he pointed it out. All I can say is every aunt, uncle, grand parent, cousin, extended cousin, cousins kids, nephews, nieces, etc I have I've seen eat it and never had a problem.

Edited by chalet (06/10/18 02:16 PM)

#7194078 - 06/10/18 02:42 PM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
68rustbucket Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: San Marcos, TX
So the homemade ice cream was always kinda soft/runny. Then the next day it had to set out on counter for a while to dish out. It was rock hard. We always had vanilla, occasionally had some peaches added. Never had the chocolate.

#7194325 - 06/10/18 08:18 PM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: Gravytrain]
fredeboy Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Burleson TX
Just saying till you try the strawberry banana you have not lived!

#7194602 - 06/11/18 07:52 AM Re: Who makes homemade ice cream? Show us some pics and recipes! [Re: chalet]
NewGulf Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: New Gulf, Texas
All I can say is every aunt, uncle, grand parent, cousin, extended cousin, cousins kids, nephews, nieces, etc I have I've seen eat it and never had a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide