J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
... sounds like that Kentucky country boy is NOT asleep at the wheel, and understands how to be agile as a litle guy playing against the chain guys with deeper pockets & heavy debt loads in fixed overheads...Good On Him for playing the hardball game with the vendors to maintain his cash flow....IMO he'll survive when the big guys are gone.
Ron
I agree.

I agree as well. Darrick and Co are top notch, run a great operation, and not renegade sellers like Bozo's crying and whining made them out to be.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7195400 06/12/18 02:29 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: ckat
I realize that there are two sides to every story, but here is Darrik's (from Whittakers) latest post on the pricing...

"And that’s what they’re ignoring. We sell the Bergara B14 Hunters from $569 to $599 depending on the direct deal at the time. Stainless 700 are in the low 500’s and the blued ones are right around 400 (ADL’s). Weatherby Vanguards are in the mid 500’s. There are several others (Savage Axis, RAR, XPR, etc.) in the 350-450 range. They’ve put the Tikka at the same price point with Model 70, Ruger Hawkeye, and some others. Simply put, they’ve dropped the Sako A7 and slid the T3x into that price point.

Our numbers show three distinct sporter rifle markets.
Sub $400
$400-$675
$1000 and up.

$675 to $1000 is no mans land right now. Sales are super slow in that category. We’ll see what the market does in the next few months. I’ve canceled all of our backorders (excluding T1x’s) and requested a call tag for our current inventory (almost $300K). They changed the rules midstream and gave us 5 days notice. They can hold the dead inventory instead of us."
He's 100% right. I didn't consider Tikka when I started looking around for a LR target gun. I only started considering them when I found Whittaker's and realized what a good value they were. At MAP prices, I probably would've got a Savage, Ruger, or Howa and figured out how to live with the downsides. People in the budget/non-custom arena aren't typically in that mode of paying twice the price for 20% more performance. The people with that mentality are already buying custom guns.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: Jgraider] #7195677 06/12/18 02:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
... sounds like that Kentucky country boy is NOT asleep at the wheel, and understands how to be agile as a litle guy playing against the chain guys with deeper pockets & heavy debt loads in fixed overheads...Good On Him for playing the hardball game with the vendors to maintain his cash flow....IMO he'll survive when the big guys are gone.
Ron
I agree.

I agree as well. Darrick and Co are top notch, run a great operation, and not renegade sellers like Bozo's crying and whining made them out to be.

Lol, If you don’t like the rules don’t agree to them and don’t be distribution point. Whitkkers can send thier inventory back, Whitkkers knows legally they can’t be made sell for a certain price. The can sell for what every they want. They also know if thier account in turn gets terminated that’s on them. With out the MAP program the big guys would of already crushed them playing same game

I find it harious you call that innovative. Find it even funnier calling me names because you don’t understand the responsibilities when you become a vendor for a product, regardless what that product is.

Sorry the truth upset your precious feelings.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7195729 06/12/18 03:35 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Ron
I agree.

Lol, If you don’t like the rules don’t agree to them and don’t be distribution point. Whitkkers can send thier inventory back, Whitkkers knows legally they can’t be made sell for a certain price. The can sell for what every they want. They also know if thier account in turn gets terminated that’s on them. With out the MAP program the big guys would of already crushed them playing same game

I find it harious you call that innovative. Find it even funnier calling me names because you don’t understand the responsibilities when you become a vendor for a product, regardless what that product is.

Sorry the truth upset your precious feelings.

I've been running my own businesses for almost 30 yrs now. I understand competition, contracts, etc very well. I also understand every Tikka vendor could have sold these rifles at the same prices Whittaker's sold them for, but chose not to. Instead, they, along with guys like you, cry and moan about what's "fair". It's laughable.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7195749 06/12/18 03:51 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Crying and moaning now that’s funny. Learned something new today, pointing out they weren’t following MAP is crying and moaning? Lol

So Tikka never had MAP in place roflmao

Obviously you don’t get it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7195750 06/12/18 03:58 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Crying and moaning now that’s funny. Learned something new today, pointing out they weren’t following MAP is crying and moaning? Lol

I'll send you some Kleenex.

Companies like Whittaker Are destroying most brick and mortar store and eventually will even make them selves go belly up. If Cabelas did the same thing as Whittaker, Whittaker would go under along with all the small brick and mortar stores.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: Jgraider] #7195761 06/12/18 04:16 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I'll send you some Kleenex.

Companies like Whittaker Are destroying most brick and mortar store and eventually will even make them selves go belly up. If Cabelas did the same thing as Whittaker, Whittaker would go under along with all the small brick and mortar stores.

Lack of empathy is not crying, nor is stating the truth. I want to see specialty retail survive, but not at the expensive of all specialty.

A friend of mine just got cut last year from a major sportsware company. He was gripping that he now will lose 300k in revenue, well he was selling below MAP on amazon 3rd party and in store.. that’s not even trying to be covert about it. Didn’t have empathy for him either.

Tikka already had a MAP program in place all they did was send out a wake up call.

If Tikka’s sales faulter it’s on their pricing model.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7196349 06/13/18 05:53 AM
C
ckat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
...Tikka already had a MAP program in place all they did was send out a wake up call...

Not according to Darrik...
"...They changed the rules midstream and gave us 5 days notice..."

So why isn't Beretta all over Sportsman's Warehouse and others who are still selling for way less than MAP???

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7196457 06/13/18 01:18 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
...Tikka already had a MAP program in place all they did was send out a wake up call...

So why isn't Beretta all over Sportsman's Warehouse and others who are still selling for way less than MAP???

Looks like they are, after reviewing their site. I'm sure there are caveats for SOME sale-pricing in the MAP rules, just not clearing them all out at bargain-basement $. Most of the rifles on SW site are at MAP.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7196474 06/13/18 01:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Tikka always had a MAP program just not enforced to same degree it is going forward. Obviously laissez-faire in Whitkkers eyes. Think about it, any forum nation wide if you asked best price on tikkas and you would get Whitkkers 99% of the time. Why?

Is sportsmen’s advertising all calibers or just a few? Sportsman’s probably has margin support for calibers that are slow moving. Mfg support to move old stock. Monthly sale fliers from Basspro/Cabelas, Academy etc are based to push slower moving items but have mfg approval and margin support.

Retail dealers have two options on MAP, you can demand products be on rollers so Mfg gives sale discounts if moving slow or come pick it up, or package deals.

When you get a flyer for Memorial Day Etc a lot of times those items are special run or built in national margin support so it has a lower retail price specifically for that sale day.

Contrary to what JGraider says, I’m not crying over people not staying within MAP. It’s the opposite I’m saying you can’t cry when you finally get called out on it. Whitkker had a great thing going, they where the go to Tikka internet dealer, like I said ask on any forum and that’s where you get pointed. Note there is a reason why you only got pointed there.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7196527 06/13/18 02:38 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover

Tikka always had a MAP program just not enforced to same degree it is going forward. Obviously laissez-faire in Whitkkers eyes. Think about it, any forum nation wide if you asked best price on tikkas and you would get Whitkkers 99% of the time. Why?

Is sportsmen’s advertising all calibers or just a few? Sportsman’s probably has margin support for calibers that are slow moving. Mfg support to move old stock. Monthly sale fliers from Basspro/Cabelas, Academy etc are based to push slower moving items but have mfg approval and margin support.

Retail dealers have two options on MAP, you can demand products be on rollers so Mfg gives sale discounts if moving slow or come pick it up, or package deals.

When you get a flyer for Memorial Day Etc a lot of times those items are special run or built in national margin support so it has a lower retail price specifically for that sale day.

Contrary to what JGraider says, I’m not crying over people not staying within MAP. It’s the opposite I’m saying you can’t cry when you finally get called out on it. Whitkker had a great thing going, they where the go to Tikka internet dealer, like I said ask on any forum and that’s where you get pointed. Note there is a reason why you only got pointed there.

The money is made in buying properly, and protected in the T&C with the mfg. If whitakers has the right deal, they can return the inventory. It may or may not have a % loss on return as well. Same goes for defective/returns, is it RTV or dealer loss. Crap like this is why I won't touch Nikon unless you as a customer demands it. They are the worst for us to deal with over 32 years.

One way around all this is "Call or E-Mail for Pricing"...

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7196534 06/13/18 02:46 PM
C
ckat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C

Fair enough.

I still keep my original stance... This new "enforcement" will keep me from buying Tikkas "at will" like I used to.

For me, they were a "no brainer" or "can't go wrong" at Whittaker's prices. Tack on another couple hundred bucks, and my itch can wait a while longer to be scratched...

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7196575 06/13/18 03:20 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
FromDarrik at Whittakers, 3/26/18 PRIOR to the latest changes from Baretta.

"....are going up April 1st. The dealer programs end and everything will be adjusted. If you want anything we have in stock, I'd advise you to put it on layaway or purchase the rifle now. No changes on existing layways or preorders.

Just an FYI so you guys wouldn't think we were gouging when you see some of the changes".

Also from 3/26/18

"Tikka isn't actually raising their price. The dealer programs are ending. We receive incentives during the program period and pass those savings on to our customers. Not all dealers do that. Some elect to keep the additional margin. We simply pass it along when the guns net out less expensive than normal."

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7196617 06/13/18 04:03 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Fair enough.

I still keep my original stance... This new "enforcement" will keep me from buying Tikkas "at will" like I used to.

For me, they were a "no brainer" or "can't go wrong" at Whittaker's prices. Tack on another couple hundred bucks, and my itch can wait a while longer to be scratched...

I don’t disagree, think Whittaker is right about market and tikka pricing themselves in to a flat segment, but that’s on Tikka to adjust, thier product their program. If sales flatten out Tikka will now be required to incentivize sales.

Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: ckat] #7196627 06/13/18 04:17 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
'puter's been down thanks to Century Link again...LOTS of Emails to delete this morning...including one from Midway announcing that they now have Guns in stock to sell....looked at the Remington/Mossberg/ Browning-Winchesters and prices appeared to be about like Bud's...and NO Beretta/SAKO-Tikka's. Dinnit look at the handguns or shotguns.

Ah Yes ....the fun begins again to see who can survive the OnLine Retail Wars...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Tikka Pricing [Re: WileyCoyote] #7196640 06/13/18 04:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
'puter's been down thanks to Century Link again...LOTS of Emails to delete this morning...including one from Midway announcing that they now have Guns in stock to sell....looked at the Remington/Mossberg/ Browning-Winchesters and prices appeared to be about like Bud's...and NO Beretta/SAKO-Tikka's. Dinnit look at the handguns or shotguns.

Ah Yes ....the fun begins again to see who can survive the OnLine Retail Wars...
Ron

It’s not just guns. Amazon has really shaken things up. But Amazon even fights its self as a retailer vs it’s 3rd party side.

Be interesting to see how MFG adjusts to the new media company type market.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide