Forums46
Topics537,783
Posts9,729,076
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7189334 06/05/18 06:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
My first deer was killed with my uncle's Rem. 700 in .243. He is not going to have any grandkids that are outdoor enthusiasts (hell, my 2nd cousins will barely be Texans); perhaps the rifle I'm looking for is already in the family.

I would suggest you approach your uncle and offer to buy the rifle from him at a fair price that a stranger might offer him, not looking for any favors because he's your uncle. Or, offer to buy him a new rifle as a replacement that you might end up owning as well. And don't delay in doing it.

IMO, people make a huge mistake waiting for a relative to give them an old firearm. If the gun means that much to you, don't hesitate to buy it before someone else in the family takes a liking to it. If you pay a fair price, no one is in any position to cry foul.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7189434 06/05/18 08:24 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H

As to speculation of what my intent was with the question, I was thinking of a NEW firearm that would start with me this year and have that as the beginning of the 'heirloom'. Something that was 'mine' and gets handed down to MY subsequent generations.

Simply a good quality shooter that looks nice and will stand the test of time for the coming decades and generations. Not talking calibers, just manufacturers and models; and probably something pretty mainstream.

What model and mfg. would you buy today and say, "I hope my grandson thinks of me when he takes this hunting."

Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7189450 06/05/18 08:42 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I've got my Dad's Savage 99 .243, blonde wood, wearing an El Paso Texas Weaver, fine cross hair. He got it from Grandad.

What's that worth on the market? $1500 maximum, to the right collector. Would I take three times that? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

In heirloom firearms, market value doesn't matter. The story and the history matters.

^ This how I see it^. My commentary about a firearm that is an heirloom: it usually says something about the original owner, and that is the most treasured aspect of an heirloom. Now if it is a fine firearm all the better but that is not where the true value lies in the two that have been passed down to me.
I have an old colt single action army modified artillery model revolver that my sons great great grandfather carried as a member of the 1st volunteer Calvary (Rough Riders). My son is named after him and understands its significance. We occasionally shoot it. One day the pistol will be his to pass down to his son.
The second is an old double barrel Winchester model 21 that my grandpa bird hunted with. Papa used to get me after school and take me bird hunting 2-3 days a week. He taught me a lot about shooting and bird dogs. The walnut stock is pretty beat up from years of hard use and the blue is pretty worn. Every year atleast once, even though I can't hit for beans with it, I take the old side by side out. Just the dog and me and remember...
Both of those could be considered collectible but it's irrelevant....Neither will ever be sold. In that same vein, hopefully when I am gone, my son will find something special about one of my firearms....time will tell but ultimately that will be up to him.
If you want a nice gun, go get it and enjoy it. In the meantime, take full advantage of every opportunity to make memories with that six year old. It will be those memories that the heirloom he chooses, will link him to you, after your gone.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7189722 06/06/18 12:46 AM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
My heirlooms are a post 64 Winchester 94, grandpa bought it new for my dad when he was 16 (1976) and my dad gave it to me when I turned 16. I also have my dad's pistol that is the first gun I remember shooting when I was 5 or so, a colt trooper original (not mk2 or 3) 4inch in 22lr. Wouldn't trade either for the world. They will go to my son one day along with his single shot savage I bought him when he was 1. It's an old pull clock single shot. Not sure of year, pre dates serial numbers. Was the first gun I let him shoot, second was the trooper. Same day though.

As far as a modern heirloom rifle it looks like you have more than a huge pile of good suggestions. Good luck with your search.

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7189880 06/06/18 03:40 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I'm pondering the same thing currently. I think I'm going to go with something with a Mannlicher stock. So classy. Probably a Ruger K77RSI that Lipseys puts out in small batches. Or maybe a CZ.

Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: machine73] #7190034 06/06/18 01:35 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: machine73
I'm pondering the same thing currently. I think I'm going to go with something with a Mannlicher stock. So classy. Probably a Ruger K77RSI that Lipseys puts out in small batches. Or maybe a CZ.

I’ve never owned a CZ but have handled a few. They sure seem like good rifles for the money, presuming they shoot well. A lot of guys who hunt Africa like them (especially Europeans) so I’m betting they do.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7190674 06/07/18 01:10 AM
machine73 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I only have a CZ rimfire and scattergun, currently, and building up a little carbine on a 527 action. As you say, NP, good rifles for the money. Which I don't have an excess of.

Last edited by machine73; 06/07/18 01:10 AM.
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7191063 06/07/18 01:41 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I have great grandfathers 1903 colt hammerless pistol , 20 ga double barrel side by side ,
and all of my Dad's guns. Most special is Dad's Steven's crackshot model 26. He used this
rifle to feed his family during the depression. He carried it while running a trapline that
earned much needed $$$. Some nights he would earn as much as his Dad made working on
WPA programs. It is a true heirloom in my opinion.

good luck
MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7195038 06/11/18 07:39 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Apparently my grandfather left me all of his guns when he passed a few weeks ago. None are really worth anything monetarily to anyone else, especially with his love of engraving his name and DL# into them. Now they're really worthless on the market. But to me, I know when I receive them, I'm gonna cry like a little baby. He has a LLama that he hand carved his own wood grips for and an old Mauser that he built his own stock for as well. Granny's little .25. I didn't even know she carried. lol

It's the damndest thing though. I used to think I wanted them SO bad when I grew up and spent so much time with him. Talking about them. Him showing me all the little things he did to them. But now, they're just things to remember him by. I'd trade it all to have them both back.

Those are heirlooms to me

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7195082 06/11/18 08:42 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D

As to speculation of what my intent was with the question, I was thinking of a NEW firearm that would start with me this year and have that as the beginning of the 'heirloom'. Something that was 'mine' and gets handed down to MY subsequent generations.

Simply a good quality shooter that looks nice and will stand the test of time for the coming decades and generations. Not talking calibers, just manufacturers and models; and probably something pretty mainstream.

What model and mfg. would you buy today and say, "I hope my grandson thinks of me when he takes this hunting."

So... based on your clarification Andy, I'd spend some time wandering a few gun shows/shops and see what speaks to you off of the tables. And suggest you take your little man along as you explain to him the different types of firearms. A couple decades from now you'll be able to tell him the story of helping you pick out the gun that will eventually be his, and his kid's. Heirlooms are about good times and memories. And there are so many good makes/models/calibers these days, it's hard to go wrong anymore. 2cents up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: Bullfrog] #7195093 06/11/18 08:54 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Apparently my grandfather left me all of his guns when he passed a few weeks ago. None are really worth anything monetarily to anyone else, especially with his love of engraving his name and DL# into them. Now they're really worthless on the market. But to me, I know when I receive them, I'm gonna cry like a little baby. He has a LLama that he hand carved his own wood grips for and an old Mauser that he built his own stock for as well. Granny's little .25. I didn't even know she carried. lol

It's the damndest thing though. I used to think I wanted them SO bad when I grew up and spent so much time with him. Talking about them. Him showing me all the little things he did to them. But now, they're just things to remember him by. I'd trade it all to have them both back.

Those are heirlooms to me

Agree with you on I would happly give those precious firearms up for another day with the previous owners of them.

Last edited by kmon1; 06/11/18 08:54 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: dkershen] #7195289 06/12/18 12:09 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: dkershen

So... based on your clarification Andy, I'd spend some time wandering a few gun shows/shops and see what speaks to you off of the tables. And suggest you take your little man along as you explain to him the different types of firearms. A couple decades from now you'll be able to tell him the story of helping you pick out the gun that will eventually be his, and his kid's. Heirlooms are about good times and memories. And there are so many good makes/models/calibers these days, it's hard to go wrong anymore. 2cents up

Awesome suggestion...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7195331 06/12/18 12:56 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
HNF,
I am going back to my first suggestion, Montana Rifle Company. It is reincarnation of the pre-64 Model 70 but with improvements to safe gas handling and very good accuracy. It is ready to go out of the box with really good quality of construction. It has a quality that feels like it will last a lifetime and longer.

Re: Looking for a heirloom rifle - suggestions [Re: HuntnFly67] #7196093 06/12/18 11:40 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
My choice was made for me when my Uncle brought home two Sako Pre-Garcia L61R Finnbear's from Germany in 1969. That is exactly what they are, heirloom rifles that have been passed from my Uncle and Father to both my boys and we hunt with them every year.

Earl

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide