Forum Stats
64158 Members
45 Forums
419968 Topics
6109828 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7185921 - 06/01/18 03:48 PM What to use for thermal sight-in.
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Gonzales, Texas
I have ice cubes. Anyone else use something else this time of year. What distance?
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

#7185923 - 06/01/18 03:50 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
Eat the ice to stay cool

I use Foil on a plain colored backboard or poster board.

100 yards

#7185926 - 06/01/18 03:55 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Have always used the small disposable hand warmers. Aluminum foil works great as well. I have sighted mine in at 75-100 yards.

#7185933 - 06/01/18 04:01 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
Pig_Popper Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth

#7185942 - 06/01/18 04:07 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Great! I will try the foil idea. Im predator hunting for coyotes/bobcat on my place. Saw two inside when we were chasing with dogs but the dogs got wore out. The fence is buttoned up tight with all holes filled. I want to sit out there late tonight and just scan for coyotes because they may be on the move to try to get out. Too many kills this year and I need to get rid of this pair.

#7186247 - 06/01/18 10:12 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
I've tried ice in beer or soda cans and other stuff too. The iced cans is visible enough, but you hit it once and your target is gone. Makes refining the sight-in difficult and a downright PITA.

I finally had a good idea, and just the other day in fact. Next time I want to sight in my thermal I will stop along the way and pick up a small quantity of dry ice. I will stuff as much as I can into whatever large empty rifle brass is handy, and poke them into cardboard backers so that the headstamp is facing me at the firing line. Should be large and cold enough to see well in the thermal, stay cold a good while, and it's a small enough target that once you hit it you should be satisfied with your sight-in..

I'm here to give and receive knowledge, not affirmation or adoration. If you don't like it, mierda dura. Intellectual honesty is not for fragile egos.

#7186425 - 06/02/18 10:07 AM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
It depends on which thermal scope you have. For example, the FLIR units (RS32) will not see the foil. My Pulsar unit will see the foil very bright. If your unit will see the foil, use that. For my FLIR unit, I used a water bottle (standard 16.9 oz) heated in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute with about an inch or two of water in it. Staple the top portion of the water bottle to your target, with a large white paper backer to see your misses. Start about 25-50 yards, and move back to 100 when you get it close enough on paper. The water would be warm enough for a while to sight in. If you pop the water bottle, get another one, or an empty beer can filled with warm water. (Just don't heat the beer can up in the microwave!!)

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7186588 - 06/02/18 01:57 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
I always have trouble taping the ice cubes to the target.

Seriously, most of the time I just use a steel target.

#7186602 - 06/02/18 02:07 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: ChadTRG42]
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
It depends on which thermal scope you have. For example, the FLIR units (RS32) will not see the foil. My Pulsar unit will see the foil very bright. If your unit will see the foil, use that. For my FLIR unit, I used a water bottle (standard 16.9 oz) heated in the microwave for about 30 seconds to 1 minute with about an inch or two of water in it. Staple the top portion of the water bottle to your target, with a large white paper backer to see your misses. Start about 25-50 yards, and move back to 100 when you get it close enough on paper. The water would be warm enough for a while to sight in. If you pop the water bottle, get another one, or an empty beer can filled with warm water. (Just don't heat the beer can up in the microwave!!)

Zeus 640 2-12 50mm
Love it so far just using as a monocular. Been too busy chasing life to get it sighted in. I will have to try tonight.

#7186640 - 06/02/18 02:47 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
der Teufel Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Central Texas
I've used an ice cube in a zip=loc bag, but once you hit it you're done with that target. Of course, if you hit it perhaps you can consider it as 'mission accomplished"!

I just thumb tacked the bag to the target so that the corner containing the ice cube hung over the target center. There are probably better methods, but it worked.

#7187098 - 06/03/18 12:38 AM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I sometimes take an ice cube and put it in a small zip lock bag. Staple one corner so the ice cube goes and stays at the bottom. I like it bc it’s more defined the heat doesn’t radiate off of it like a hand warmer and it’s a smaller target. Have also used foil but not a fat in the heat at 100 yards. Also some of those black shoot and see targets stand out really well in the sun.
I did build a cabin. Aka “the brokeback shack”.

#7187250 - 06/03/18 08:58 AM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
jtprocaddie Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Austin Texas
I like the foil tape for AC units.. when its how outside I will put ice cubes on the roll of tape where I am going to use for about 1-2 mins.. Then put a 2 inch pice of tape on your target and switch to black hot.. it will light up white like a christmas tree. Here is a video of what it looks like at 100 yards..

www.TXgamehunters.com/partners.html

#7188243 - 06/04/18 11:56 AM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: Curtis]
GLC Online   content

Loc: BenBrook Texas
Not to hijack the thread but then what would you use for night vision zeroing in the daytime?

#7188261 - 06/04/18 12:11 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: GLC]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: GLC
Not to hijack the thread but then what would you use for night vision zeroing in the daytime?

You don't use night vision in the day time. Night vision amplifies the low light at night time. During the day, it would be too bright and damage the sensors.

Thermal is different than night vision. Thermal sees heat, and can easily be used during the day time. The problem with using thermal in the day time when the sun is out is thermal "clutter", as I call it. The sun heats everything up, and causes everything to want to glow with heat. But you can sight in a thermal scope the same way during the day or the night.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7188271 - 06/04/18 12:26 PM Re: What to use for thermal sight-in. [Re: ChadTRG42]
GLC Online   content

Loc: BenBrook Texas
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Originally Posted By: GLC

You don't use night vision in the day time. Night vision amplifies the low light at night time. During the day, it would be too bright and damage the sensors.

Thermal is different than night vision. Thermal sees heat, and can easily be used during the day time. The problem with using thermal in the day time when the sun is out is thermal "clutter", as I call it. The sun heats everything up, and causes everything to want to glow with heat. But you can sight in a thermal scope the same way during the day or the night.

Yes sir I understand but night vision still has to be zeroed. I recently picked up a Sightmark Photon RT 4.5x42S. I took it to the range to sight in a t 100 yards and really could not see any definition enough to make consistent zero. I then zeroed at the 50 yard range. Just wondering if there was something I could use in the daytime that I could see easier to zero at 100 yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide