Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Jgraider] #7183853 05/30/18 06:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
The vast majority of tag holders on public land aren't shooting anything.

With out outfitters majority aren’t shooting anything in premium units also...

But you are right everyone should just stay at home until you get that once in a lifetime tag... assuming you even draw it....

Or follow your advice and go on the usual public land hunt (IF you can get a tag) and see 20 hunters for every deer/elk/sheep you see. Antelope on public land offers the only reasonable chance anymore.

Weird I hardly saw any hunters past the trailhead in Idaho, NM or CO. Certainly not a sea of orange.
One should definitely follow your advice and just not hunt.

The “If you can get a tag” is dumb again I can get a tag in AZ, NM, CO, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming etc every year.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7183864 05/30/18 06:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
[

Why do you always make the silly “straw man” assumption that guys who go on hunts in quality areas are “sitting out” hunting for 20-25 years?

I haven’t “sat out” hunting out west in almost 20 years. Over that span, I have drawn several quality tags over the years and had great hunts that don’t compare to any general/OTC “pumpkin patch” hunt out there. I’ve also had fun hunts with friends on OTC/general tag hunts in the years I didn’t draw. Killed a nice bull on one, but that’s darn sure the exception and not the rule. I’ve also been on some great hunts in Canada that can’t compare to anything else on the planet. And I’m just 54 and hopefully ain’t near done yet.

If one likes the “challenges” of OTC/general tag hunting, that’s great. Go for it. But there are other ways to skin the hunting cat than just relegating oneself to easy-to-get public tags. Your bias for “your way and your way only” can almost be cut with a knife.

What? Are you illiterate? Obviously just trolling since it’s your normal made up BS.

First -I said 15-25 years depend on unit. AZ strip 13b tags like Jgraider has suggested takes 20 years JUST to get out of <1% odds.

Second- recommending people go hunt instead of “just” sitting at home building points like Jgraider inferred is hardly my way or the hwy or ground breaking for that matter. I thought the point of hunting was going by hunting. My bad

Third - did you buy or draw a tag last year? And also what did you do while building points? Bought hunts/tags? Not everyone can buy landowner/outfitter tags, apparently so much for them hunting out west.

Fourth I’ve got a double digit points in many states, but I’m still hunting even when I don’t draw a tag, hunted elk, mule deer and pronghorn last year OTC/100% draw. In past I’ve bout vouchers and LO tags in addition, but not all my hunting buddies can drop money on high end LO vouchers

Point of Hunting is going Hunting.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7183879 05/30/18 06:40 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Weird I hardly saw any hunters past the trailhead in Idaho, NM or CO. Certainly not a sea of orange.

The “If you can get a tag” is dumb again I can get a tag in AZ, NM, CO, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming etc every year.

Sure you have. I'm sure you've also hunted the AZ strip, Paunsagunt, NM 34/36, Utah CWMU's as well. My advice is to "not hunt"? That's your own asinine assessment, not mine.

Let's see some pics.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7183895 05/30/18 06:51 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
[

Why do you always make the silly “straw man” assumption that guys who go on hunts in quality areas are “sitting out” hunting for 20-25 years?

I haven’t “sat out” hunting out west in almost 20 years. Over that span, I have drawn several quality tags over the years and had great hunts that don’t compare to any general/OTC “pumpkin patch” hunt out there. I’ve also had fun hunts with friends on OTC/general tag hunts in the years I didn’t draw. Killed a nice bull on one, but that’s darn sure the exception and not the rule. I’ve also been on some great hunts in Canada that can’t compare to anything else on the planet. And I’m just 54 and hopefully ain’t near done yet.

If one likes the “challenges” of OTC/general tag hunting, that’s great. Go for it. But there are other ways to skin the hunting cat than just relegating oneself to easy-to-get public tags. Your bias for “your way and your way only” can almost be cut with a knife.

What? Are you illiterate? Obviously just trolling since it’s your normal made up BS.

First -I said 15-25 years depend on unit. AZ strip 13b tags like Jgraider has suggested takes 20 years JUST to get out of <1% odds.

Second- recommending people go hunt instead of “just” sitting at home building points like Jgraider inferred is hardly my way or the hwy or ground breaking for that matter. I thought the point of hunting was going by hunting. My bad

Third - did you buy or draw a tag last year? And also what did you do while building points? Bought hunts/tags? Not everyone can buy landowner/outfitter tags, apparently so much for them hunting out west.

Fourth I’ve got a double digit points in many states, but I’m still hunting even when I don’t draw a tag, hunted elk, mule deer and pronghorn last year OTC/100% draw. In past I’ve bout vouchers and LO tags in addition, but not all my hunting buddies can drop money on high end LO vouchers

Noticed you took the quote out, because that’s exactly what you said. As usual, now you have to back off, spin, and misdirect.

You just spill words on the page and act like everyone you are talking to is an idiot who just stepped off the boat. I don’t need your silly lectures about what the “point” of hunting is - I have been hunting since before you were born and put plenty of days in the field in various places every year. I damn sure don’t apologize for working hard, knowing the app game, having some luck and thus being able to go on quality hunts from time to time. You’re the only one with a hangup about it.

The sad thing is you know all this, but it doesn’t matter - giving lectures to others who don’t do it “your way” is all you’re about. All the while calling everyone else “elitists”. Are you envious, angry, or just that committed to having to maintain your “know-it-all” aura so you can lecture everybody else? (If it’s the latter you should probably type less and read more, because the more you type it becomes apparent the less you actually know.)

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7183906 05/30/18 06:59 PM
D
DirtNapTET Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Man, what do you think it would take to get BoBo and NP in a deer blind together? Asking for a friend...

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7183917 05/30/18 07:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[

Noticed you took the quote out, because that’s exactly what you said. As usual, now you have to back off, spin, and misdirect.

You just spill words on the page act like everyone you are talking to is an idiot who just stepped off the boat. I don’t need your silly lectures about what the “point” of hunting is - I have been hunting since before you were born and put plenty of days in the field in various places every year. I damn sure don’t apologize for working hard, knowing the app game, having some luck and thus being able to go on quality hunts from time to time. You’re the only one with a hangup about it.

The sad thing is you know all this, but it doesn’t matter - giving lectures to others who don’t do it “your way” is all you’re about. All the while calling everyone else “elitists”. Are you envious, angry, or just that committed to having to maintain your “know-it-all” aura so you can lecture everybody else? (If it’s the latter you should probably type less and read more, because the more you type it becomes apparent the less you actually know.)

WHat the hell is wrong with you?

I cut it out because it was 4 replies and forum won’t allow four quotes

Like I said why would someone tell others not to hunt anywhere but units that take 20 plus years to draw

I see your the new keyboard tough guy

Originally Posted By: txcornhusker
Nevada is the only hard state.

Almost every state out west has an OTC or multiple 100% draw odds units

Very true.

I guess I should have been more specific. Draw odds for any of the best mule deer units (especially Arizona) are next to impossible, or require multiple points, elk is the same. You know, places where you won't see way more hunters than game.....not easy to do.

I get irritated by this rationale. If people only want to hunt elite units based off trophy potential and success rates, then they essentially quite hunting.

The truth is By the time most guys buy enough points thier physical ability is gone. On top of that most can’t afford the Carters or A3’s of the outfitting world. Add in that the vast majority of tag holders are shooting 160-170” deer.. it’s not worth setting out of hunting for 15-25 years. Especially when you factor in some of those hunts are 65% success... which includes the outfitters killing the majority of that success %.

Some of AZ OTC hunts are over 20% success for deer.

You can hunt 170+- deer every year on OTC or 100% draw tags.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7183928 05/30/18 07:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Nobody is telling anybody “not to hunt anywhere but units that take 20 plus years to draw”. Nobody.

That’s just another “straw man” you have to throw up so you can go on one of your patented THF “lecture” tours. The classic “keyboard cowboy” approach.

I have hunted all ways one can hunt in North America (OTC/general, quality draw tags, OIL draw tags, and outfitted hunts). I have killed every animal you have and many you haven’t. Bow and gun.

Your way is fine for you, and I’m proud you like it. But the line stops when you start lecturing others on stuff like what “the point of hunting” is - because you simply don’t have that right. Period. The point of hunting is personal to each hunter. “What’s wrong with me” is I’m tired of listening to it.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7183945 05/30/18 07:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Nobody is telling anybody “not to hunt anywhere but units that take 20 plus years to draw”. Nobody.

That’s just another “straw man” you have to throw up so you can go on one of your patented THF “lecture” tours. The classic “keyboard cowboy” approach.

I have hunted all ways one can hunt in North America (OTC/general, quality draw tags, OIL draw tags, and outfitted hunts). I have killed every animal you have and many you haven’t.

Your way is fine for you, and I’m proud you like it. But the line stops when you start lecturing others on stuff like what “the point of hunting” is - because you simply don’t have that right. Period. “What’s wrong with me” is I’m tired of listening to it - pure and simple.

You don’t get it do you. It’s not about a way..... it’s about just hunting. I never said not to buy LO/outfitter tags. Why would I tell someone not to do what I do on occasion

I stop posting dead pics for a reason, it’s not about that for me, I essentially never took my bow off my pack this year while elk hunting. I was trying to call in a Elk for a buddy that was his first trip out west. We saw elk and got close to a great bull.

Go back and read Jeraiders posts. And deciefer exactly what he is saying. Do you stand by exactly what he is saying

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7183957 05/30/18 08:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I “get it” just fine, and have for quite some time now. smile

I’m glad you enjoy your hunts. I hope everyone does. Otherwise, what’s the point?

P.S. I wasn’t addressing jgraider and won’t presume to speak for or “stand by” him one way or the other. As he has shown, he is fully capable of doing that for himself.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7183958 05/30/18 08:08 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It's very easy to understand what I was saying. The comment was made that it is cheap to hunt public lands. I said that often times it was hard to get a public land tag, especially in the really good areas unless you have multiple preference points. I made a a comment that in the places where you can get OTC deer tags often times you see more hunters than game, and success rates are very low. That's basically it.

Last edited by Jgraider; 05/30/18 08:09 PM.
Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: DirtNapTET] #7183961 05/30/18 08:09 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Man, what do you think it would take to get BoBo and NP in a deer blind together? Asking for a friend...

It's fun just reading along. This is one of their better spats. clap

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Jgraider] #7183963 05/30/18 08:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Sure you have. I'm sure you've also hunted the AZ strip, Paunsagunt, NM 34/36, Utah CWMU's as well. My advice is to "not hunt"? That's your own asinine assessment, not mine.

Let's see some pics.

I don’t have 20 plus years of AZ and Utah points so no I haven’t hunted those two units. Have you? Been through both and have friends that have. Mean time I’ve blown plenty of opportunities on respectable 170 plus deer on OTC/100% draw tags, including a 80” antelope last year.

CWMU’s are irrelevant to draw because you can buy you tag for 6k plus. If that’s an option for you then all means buy it and then go get an elk tag also. But that not an option for most guys.

So basically the example above are 20 plus years of points or big money to hunt mule deer correct?

I hunted NM 17 this past year. Spent some time in 36 and will be most likely running bear there in Aug. you do realize both those units are 100% for deer with an outfitter number right? And 40-57% just as a NR deer . So basically you can hunt either unit every other year.

Like I said you can hunt OTC or 100% in every western state but Nevada.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Choctaw] #7183965 05/30/18 08:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Next show at 11. Y’all don’t forget to tip your waiters and waitresses. grin

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7183973 05/30/18 08:30 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Maybe Bozo will have taken his anti-anxiety meds by then.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Jgraider] #7183982 05/30/18 08:48 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Maybe Bozo will have taken his anti-anxiety meds by then.

Lol, nope just find it funny

Lots of OTC opportunities from those building points. Quality on top of that. Sorry you don’t see it that way.
Hopefully others arent discouraged by it.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7183983 05/30/18 08:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I love Axis I must admit. Best tasting venison there is. Majestic looking animals as well. I think any landowner can control them if they decide to make it a priority to balance out the native game on their property. If I had them on land I owned, I would make room for them but not let them dominate.

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 05/31/18 12:58 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7183996 05/30/18 09:09 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I love Axis I must admit. Best tasting venison there is. Majestic looking animals as well. I think any landowner can control them if they decide to make it a priority over the native game on their property. If I had them on land I owned, I would make room for them but not let them dominate.

Agree completely.

Much like having livestock that you control in harmony with the whitetail, but better.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: ErnestTBass] #7185186 05/31/18 11:23 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I love Axis I must admit. Best tasting venison there is. Majestic looking animals as well. I think any landowner can control them if they decide to make it a priority over the native game on their property. If I had them on land I owned, I would make room for them but not let them dominate.

Agree completely.

Much like having livestock that you control in harmony with the whitetail, but better.

cheers
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: 1860.colt] #7185623 06/01/18 02:39 PM
W
whtbeard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Wondering if Axis can get CWD as some areas of Tx have?
Could be the reason, in the CWD areas of Tx., that WT numbers are down in those areas.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7186239 06/02/18 03:01 AM
T
TXRobTRX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I guess I am jealous that we dont have any exotics on our East Texas lease. Seems to me this is a good problem to have, but I will tell you more if it ever becomes a problem.

I havent hunted axis yet, but would like to soon so maybe I need to head west toward the rest of the state where they just roam wild like street gangs.... grin

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: whtbeard] #7186255 06/02/18 03:40 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: whtbeard
Wondering if Axis can get CWD as some areas of Tx have?
Could be the reason, in the CWD areas of Tx., that WT numbers are down in those areas.

There arnt a ton of free ranging axis in the CWD quarantine zone.

Some around tarpley/utopia and concan but not near in numbers like Boerne/Fredericksburg/bandera area

Plenty of whitetail in the above areas too

I live in Boerne and see axis almost daily but there are plenty of whitetail here...I would say whitetail is still the dominate species here locally

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7186316 06/02/18 11:49 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
In town"Bandera" there are mostly WT. When you go across the river toward the Mayan Dude Ranch there are more Axis than WT. I have counted as many as 75 in one herd. And when they start crossing the road you better stop. If you don't they will run into you.

Re: Too many axis/exotics? [Re: Simple Searcher] #7186317 06/02/18 11:51 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Oh, and Axis are not the smartest deer around when it come to crossing roads. Seems like 90% of the road kills are Axis.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide