452913 Topics
6258919 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7181409 - 05/27/18 06:36 PM Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity

For those that have taxidermy collections, do you strive to fill your trophy room with record book caliber animals, representative class animals or just to compile a bunch of animals.

Taking sentiments out of it ( first kills, special hunts, etc) what is your goal for trophy rooms?

Taxidermy has become a lot more popular in recent years, growing up most hunters I knew only had 1 or 2 heads in a lifetime of hunting. Now larger personal taxidermy collections are becoming more in style.

Myself, although I havenít set any particular goals my collection runs more towards the representative side with animals not being small for species but not huge either. I only have one truly large for species mount the others run about average as far as trophy standards go. Nice heads but nothing spectacular.

As wall space shrinks with every passing year Iím going to have to get more selective with what I choose to mount, however.

#7181438 - 05/27/18 07:16 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Buy a bigger house.

Most of my collection is just good representative critters for the area taken. A few others are more for the memory of a special hunt, but all have good memories associated with them

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#7181478 - 05/27/18 07:55 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: kmon1]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Buy a bigger house.

Most of my collection is just good representative critters for the area taken. A few others are more for the memory of a special hunt, but all have good memories associated with them

This for me. Iíve been lucky on a few that were big specimens, but the taxidermy is about the beauty of the animals and the memories. One of my favorite bucks wouldnít score 120, but he was 9 when I shot him and elusive as a ghost. Almost didnít kill him on the day I finally got him. So heís up there where I can see him.

#7181774 - 05/28/18 09:38 AM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
DStroud Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: In the Right lane
My only ďbookĒ class trophies are archery kills and I did get them mounted of course. I never plan to shoot something with getting it mounted in mind. If itís a truly good animal and the hunt was awesome I tend to want to get it mounted to cherish the memory. My Nilgia is a good example. Could care less about shooting one. Got invited on the hunt and had a good guide killed a tank of an animal with a great stalk and long shot with a new 28 Nolser caliber .... got a beautiful mount.

Jack O'Connor 1963

#7182046 - 05/28/18 04:41 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
Palehorse Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
I'm thinking of getting this bad boy in my trophy room. Should I just do a shoulder mount or get the full body mount?
A rug might be cool too.

ďHe grouped his last five shots right in the center of the bullís-eye. Then I showed him my technique of scattering shots randomly around the target because, as I explained, you never know which way the deer might jump just as you pull the trigger.Ē

#7182058 - 05/28/18 05:05 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
Creekrunner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
I can't take the sentiment out of it. When I look at a trophy of mine, I'm standing back where I took the shot, with the people that were standing with me, if there were any there. Some of those people have left this earth by now and most of them taught me a ton about hunting. I don't believe I have a single mount that will make any book; I never had one measured. The one I'm most proud of is a mediocre west Texas muley that I spotted and stalked all by my lonesome on one of the most God-forsaken, beat-up oil patch ranches I've ever been on.

European (skull) mounts can go a lot more places, without deteriorating, than a regular shoulder mount can. (Porches, barns, etc.) Plus, they're a lot more economical.

Not having any taxidermy coming down the pipeline is lot less taxing on the annual budget and one less thing to worry about.

I do dread having to dust them all once or twice a year.

I've gone to mostly skull mounts on whitetails and muleys I shoot. I've grown to appreciate the simplicity and primal nature of them. Hopefully any others will be skull mounts too. Unless I go back for that dam cat with spots. He mocks me. realmad
...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28

#7182069 - 05/28/18 05:15 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
rexmitchell Offline
Veteran Tracker

Iíve got a little of everything. Big, average and/or sentimental. I donít go that deep with it though. If itís an animal I like and want to look at it for the next couple decades Iíll mount it. If not a euro is a good route or I give the skulls to my daughter to paint. Like most Iím running out of wallspace but thatís fine. I always wanted dead animals above my wifeís side of the bed smile

Edited by rexmitchell (05/28/18 05:15 PM)

#7182154 - 05/28/18 07:15 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
My house at the land doesn't have any more room for more animals. I guess it's time to hang up the guns. NOT! I'm more into the growing of the deer as well as hunting.
But mostly just like watching them these days.

Edited by Erathkid (05/28/18 07:16 PM)

#7182157 - 05/28/18 07:21 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Creekrunner, I'm into skull mounts more these days too. Lack of room is a big factor but also, like you said, less stress.

#7182174 - 05/28/18 07:33 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
hawk Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: San Angelo, TX
Memories....the main reason I have one mounted. To remember the hunt.

#7182225 - 05/28/18 08:19 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
Theringworm Offline
Tracker

Loc: Midland, TX
Purely about the memories and recognizing the beauty of the creatures on this Earth. Everyone of them has a story that is worth being retold, at least I think so. Most of what is on my wall are/will be once in a life time hunts. WT deer get hunted annually and since I have already killed my "buck of a life time" most everything is getting left for the kids to hunt or maybe a skull mount if I shoot it and it's unique enough. At the end of the day, do what you want. They are your memories. Remember them how you see fit as there is no right or wrong answer in my opinion.

#7182270 - 05/28/18 09:10 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
I have Euros and taxis on the wall, some nice specimens, but not a single "book" animal. I have many different breeds, but there isn't an animal on my wall that doesn't have a unique story/memory behind it. I had no intent on ever filling a room with animals, it just slowly happened over 30 years of hunting. When you think about it, an animal ever few years, you have a wall full.
My favorite is one of the smaller ones, a hill country 8 pointer that might make 120inches (never measured). It is my wife's first deer from when she started joining me on hunts.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#7182349 - 05/28/18 10:32 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: txtrophy85]
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker

We ran out of space so had to build. anew house, Africa will do that to you. I mount everything i shoot, i love it because all the hunts have a story.

#7182351 - 05/28/18 10:34 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: hawk]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: hawk
No doubt. Special hunts in your life need to be memorialized.

#7182782 - 05/29/18 12:53 PM Re: Trophy rooms/taxidermy collections [Re: Erathkid]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Originally Posted By: hawk
No doubt. Special hunts in your life need to be memorialized.

Yeah the ones I have mounted I find myself looking at them and I can remember in detail the hunts. The weather, the people, the place.. everything. I love that!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide