Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7182527 05/29/18 12:57 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Love my A7 in 300 wsm !! Carries nice in the mountains.

Thanks for the info Bbear.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7182575 05/29/18 01:53 PM
P
Precision_Shooter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
It’s been said by many, but from what I know is the biggest difference is fit and finish, but I also seem to recall that the Sako uses a steel receiver where the Tikka uses an aluminum receiver.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7182598 05/29/18 02:30 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
When I bought my CTR, the dealer also had a Sako A7 Long Range in 6.5. It was going to be over $300 more to get the Sako. It was an impressive rifle, though, and at times I wish I'd sprung for it.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Precision_Shooter] #7182601 05/29/18 02:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Precision_Shooter
It’s been said by many, but from what I know is the biggest difference is fit and finish, but I also seem to recall that the Sako uses a steel receiver where the Tikka uses an aluminum receiver.

From what I can recall the A7 has an aluminum bolt shroud, a plastic magazine with metal “lips” added, and other plastic parts i.e. trigger guard. I’m sure there are other differences.

That’s why I think of it as a Tikka/Sako hybrid.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Precision_Shooter] #7182667 05/29/18 03:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
the Sako uses a steel receiver where the Tikka uses an aluminum receiver.

Negative.

Tikka offers blued or stainless steel.

I am not aware of any center-fire action in the world made out of aluminum.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: J.G.] #7182682 05/29/18 03:56 PM
P
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Negative.

Not a bolt gun, but AR15’s and AR10’s are aluminum.

Last edited by Precision_Shooter; 05/29/18 03:59 PM.
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7182718 05/29/18 04:28 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
NP has is about right from what I see in mine. I do really like the 60* bolt throw though. Mags are expensive too.
I have the A7 Tecomate; stainless, fluted barrel and composite stock. Very accurate for my 165 gr handloads, likes lots of bullets too. Recoil is not noticeable to me for a 300 wsm.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Precision_Shooter] #7182798 05/29/18 06:35 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Negative.

Not a bolt gun, but AR15’s and AR10’s are aluminum.

Ah yes. That's right, I forgot about the ARs.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Wytex] #7182821 05/29/18 06:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Wytex
NP has is about right from what I see in mine. I do really like the 60* bolt throw though. Mags are expensive too.
I have the A7 Tecomate; stainless, fluted barrel and composite stock. Very accurate for my 165 gr handloads, likes lots of bullets too. Recoil is not noticeable to me for a 300 wsm.

up

I love my Finnlight in .300 WSM too. Recoil not noticeable to me either.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7182822 05/29/18 06:55 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Benelli Shotguns, ARs, Anzio Iron Works 50 BMG all have aluminum receivers with the commonality being bolt lockup with barrel not the receiver

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: kmon11] #7182862 05/29/18 07:33 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kmon1
Benelli Shotguns, ARs, Anzio Iron Works 50 BMG all have aluminum receivers with the commonality being bolt lockup with barrel not the receiver

A .50 with aluminum? eek

Now I know, thank you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: J.G.] #7182900 05/29/18 08:14 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: kmon1

A .50 with aluminum? eek

Now I know, thank you.

Their 20mm and 50/20 are also made that way. The 50/20 will shoot a 750gr A-Max at 3650fps if you are looking for not much wind drift but the steel plates better be very serious stuff

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7182948 05/29/18 09:09 PM
C
Chris42 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I've been wanting a Finlight for a while.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7183006 05/29/18 10:05 PM
P
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
For what it’s worth, I have a Tikka T3x CTR and don’t regret it over a Sako.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7183341 05/30/18 05:28 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Sakos may be a bit more refined but that isn't the only difference. The actions are different designs. The Tikka is a push feed, the Sako 85 has a claw extractor. Scope mounts are not interchangeable.

The newish Sako A7 is different than the Sako 85. I don't know a lot about it, but I know it's a push-feed action and the price isn't as high as the 85. It may be just a better-finished Tikka. The OP wasn't clear on which Sako they looked at.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: gusick] #7183463 05/30/18 12:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: gusick
Sakos may be a bit more refined but that isn't the only difference. The actions are different designs. The Tikka is a push feed, the Sako 85 has a claw extractor. Scope mounts are not interchangeable.

The newish Sako A7 is different than the Sako 85. I don't know a lot about it, but I know it's a push-feed action and the price isn't as high as the 85. It may be just a better-finished Tikka. The OP wasn't clear on which Sako they looked at.

Sako actions are simply better. Tikka actions are functional, but nothing special. IDK all the spec details, but the differences in the “feel” and functionality are readily apparent. As several have pointed out, what makes Tikkas good shooters is the barrel, not the action.

When I see folks buying Tikkas and putting new stocks, sometimes barrels, re-working this or that - it always makes me wonder why they didn’t just save the time and expense and buy a Sako.

I have owned and hunted with Sakos for almost 40 years. They are quality through and through. When I bought my first Finnlight I knew I would never carry another rifle in the mountains. And I had spent more on others - sometimes much more.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7183486 05/30/18 01:10 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Sako actions are simply better. Tikka actions are functional, but nothing special. IDK all the spec details, but the differences in the “feel” and functionality are readily apparent. As several have pointed out, what makes Tikkas good shooters is the barrel, not the action.

When I see folks buying Tikkas and putting new stocks, sometimes barrels, re-working this or that - it always makes me wonder why they didn’t just save the time and expense and buy a Sako.

I have owned and hunted with Sakos for almost 40 years. They are quality through and through. When I bought my first Finnlight I knew I would never carry another rifle in the mountains. And I had spent more on others - sometimes much more.

Are you suggesting a sako is as good as a semi custom tikka?

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: wp75169] #7183501 05/30/18 01:25 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: wp75169
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Are you suggesting a sako is as good as a semi custom tikka?

Yes, if not better. If for no other reason because of the better action. I’m pretty sure the guys over in Finland know how to build and put together a rifle as well or better than the majority of “semi-custom” folks. Of course, there are exceptions and not every rifle will be created equal.

I get people love to tinker and have fun plumbing on rifles and say “good for them”. Not trying to step on toes.

(To clarify, I’m talking hunting rifles, not specialty rifles for paper-punching.)

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7183509 05/30/18 01:30 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
[quote=Nogalus Prairie

I have owned and hunted with Sakos for almost 40 years. They are quality through and through. When I bought my first Finnlight I knew I would never carry another rifle in the mountains. And I had spent more on others - sometimes much more. [/quote]

I've owned Sako's for a long time too, and agree that they're probably one of the best factory produced rifles ever made, particularly the L61's. However, you're dead wrong on the Tikka actions. They are "special" in that they are very, very stiff, aided by the comparatively small ejection port that some people gripe about. They are a very high quality piece of work that are very much a part of why Tikkas shoot as good or better than any Sako ever made, and most anything else for that matter.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7183518 05/30/18 01:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That’s why everyone gets to have an opinion I guess. smile

Working and shooting a Tikka action shows me there’s no comparison to a Sako action. Just another push-feed action that’s not very smooth or sturdy to me. Push feed vs CRF, correct action length on Sakos vs. one action length with a bolt “stop”, aluminum bolt shroud, one less lug, longer throw......to me the differences are apparent.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7183533 05/30/18 01:42 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
NP, check out this guy's opinion. He happens to test optics, rifles, etc for the USDOD.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...uy#Post12882609

Having used every rifle mentioned, most quite extensively, except the Sauer; it takes a very specific reason for me not to go Tikka T3.

Now I may use rifles and equipment different than most, but they get used heavily and a barrel on any individual rifle seldom lasts a year.

With seeing multiples of identical rifles shot side by side the Tikka T3/x offers-

1) The best factory barrel available. Even on match guns for PRS/sniper matches we haven’t replaced the factory barrel until it’s shot out.

2) The smoothest action, with very good extraction and ejection that is consistently not as effected by blowing sand and dust as most others.

3) Great triggers out of the box. Not only in weight and feel, but again in bad conditions with dust and freezing slush they do not suffer the reliability problems that most others do (Remington 700 based triggers).

4) Factory synthetic stocks that are entirely usable, and FAR stiffer than any Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc factory plastic stock.

When laid out side by side there just isn’t an objective reason from a function standpoint to choose most others. For instance the Weatherby Vanguard suggestion. I have shot and seen shot several Vanguards and we have a Howa Alpine (which was the best version of it). And while solid rifles, none of them have been as accurate or as easy to find loads for as the worst of a couple dozen T3’s. Barrels not as good, triggers decent with only minor issues so far, action is nowhere close, and stock design/shape not as good.

For the Ruger 77- barrels haven’t been as accurate, though they have been decent and others have seen great precision, triggers OTB not as good, action is extremely rough, less options and compromised options for rails unless you want the factory setup, stocks good but not better. The Ruger American... no. They can shoot good to great, but stocks are garbage, mags show issues.. just the stocks alone... It’s a cheap gun.

Remington 700- quite possibly the worst major manufacturer. Actions not machined square, base screw holes miss-aligned, the worst trigger design, barrels are extremely variable- some good, some horrible, stocks not as stiff, etc.

As an objective view if I (and I have) need to pick a rifles setup for 20-30 guns that will just work and show excellent precision, excellent reliability, ease of use, and just generally no problems- the T3 is an easy choice. I’ve done the same with Remington. I’ve done the same with Winchester. I’ve done the same with Ruger. We’ve had considerably more problems with all of those than any of the Tikkas.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7183538 05/30/18 01:46 PM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Again, let me say that the Tikka was a T3X, and that I did not ask what model number the Sako was. And the reason i asked the Tikka/Sako question was that they were both push feed and looked and felt exactly the same. I might have missed 10 degrees of bolt lift.

Except for the stock, they looked and felt identical. Which is why I asked what the diff was. Since the question was asked, I have learned from ya’ll that the Sako barrel minimum accuracy is slightly better than the Tikka.

Probably, and I’m guessing, the Sako I held was not their ‘top of the line’ model. It certainly did not compare to my CRF long action Sako from the 1980’s. Hold that rifle and you know you have quality in your hands.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: 603Country] #7183550 05/30/18 01:55 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You undoubtedly handled the Sako A7.

Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Jgraider] #7183558 05/30/18 02:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I agree with his assessment.

For anyone claiming a Tikka isn't smooth, is handling an action right out of the box. In my experience they are almost void of any oil. On a brand new action I will wipe down the bolt, and inside the action, cleaning. Then add my preferred gun oil to the bolt, and run it back and forth a few times. Runs like a Singer sewing machine. Unlock the bolt, point the muzzle toward the sky, and the bolt will fall to the rear, with no assistance.

The hardest test I've put a Tikka action through is each year in July. The Heatstroke Open PRS match. 10 to 30 mph winds driving NE Oklahoma sand into everything, including the action. Saturday holds 120 to 150 rounds, and the action never locks up, that night I'll wipe it down, and re-oil. Sunday holds over a hundred more rounds, action never locks up. Not to mention, I've never had to address any issues with a Tikka trigger. One trigger has 3500 rounds, and unknown dry fires on it, trigger 2 has about 2000 rounds, including dry fires, and the newest one is up to 600 rounds in the last 8 weeks.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Tikka/Sako what’s the diff? [Re: Jgraider] #7183568 05/30/18 02:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
NP, check out this guy's opinion. He happens to test optics, rifles, etc for the USDOD.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread...uy#Post12882609

Having used every rifle mentioned, most quite extensively, except the Sauer; it takes a very specific reason for me not to go Tikka T3.

Now I may use rifles and equipment different than most, but they get used heavily and a barrel on any individual rifle seldom lasts a year.

With seeing multiples of identical rifles shot side by side the Tikka T3/x offers-

1) The best factory barrel available. Even on match guns for PRS/sniper matches we haven’t replaced the factory barrel until it’s shot out.

2) The smoothest action, with very good extraction and ejection that is consistently not as effected by blowing sand and dust as most others.

3) Great triggers out of the box. Not only in weight and feel, but again in bad conditions with dust and freezing slush they do not suffer the reliability problems that most others do (Remington 700 based triggers).

4) Factory synthetic stocks that are entirely usable, and FAR stiffer than any Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc factory plastic stock.

When laid out side by side there just isn’t an objective reason from a function standpoint to choose most others. For instance the Weatherby Vanguard suggestion. I have shot and seen shot several Vanguards and we have a Howa Alpine (which was the best version of it). And while solid rifles, none of them have been as accurate or as easy to find loads for as the worst of a couple dozen T3’s. Barrels not as good, triggers decent with only minor issues so far, action is nowhere close, and stock design/shape not as good.

For the Ruger 77- barrels haven’t been as accurate, though they have been decent and others have seen great precision, triggers OTB not as good, action is extremely rough, less options and compromised options for rails unless you want the factory setup, stocks good but not better. The Ruger American... no. They can shoot good to great, but stocks are garbage, mags show issues.. just the stocks alone... It’s a cheap gun.

Remington 700- quite possibly the worst major manufacturer. Actions not machined square, base screw holes miss-aligned, the worst trigger design, barrels are extremely variable- some good, some horrible, stocks not as stiff, etc.

As an objective view if I (and I have) need to pick a rifles setup for 20-30 guns that will just work and show excellent precision, excellent reliability, ease of use, and just generally no problems- the T3 is an easy choice. I’ve done the same with Remington. I’ve done the same with Winchester. I’ve done the same with Ruger. We’ve had considerably more problems with all of those than any of the Tikkas.

I’m talking Sakos vs. Tikkas, not Tikkas vs. other similar price-point models.

Again, to me, the differences are obvious. The only difference at all between a Tikka vs. a Sako rifle is the ejection port on the action. Everything else on a Sako (other action specs set out above, stock, trigger, materials, barrel, fit and finish) is either the same or better overall quality on a Sako. That’s just the simple fact. So, almost by definition, the Sako is a better rifle.

There is no real comparison between my Finnlights and T3s as far as quality is concerned. Again, to me, that’s obvious from the first moment you pick one up and becomes even more obvious as you shoot them. Of course, that quality comes at a price, and I certainly understand the popularity of Tikkas. As I said above, Tikkas are probably hands down the best bang for the buck in the rifle world.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide