Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
ATN Sights #7178987 05/24/18 09:13 PM
19car69 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
I am hoping for some input on smart scopes. I have never used smart scopes, night vision or anything other than red dots, glass or open sights.

I do like to hunt, but don't get out for that very often. I mostly go to the range with rifles at ranges between 50 and 300 yards or shoot pellet rifles at up to 150 yards.

The ATN scopes look like fun and with the ballistic program built in would let me switch it between guns and shoot to different ranges. The night vision is more of a plus than a real want. The ability to record video again just sounds like fun.

I am hoping to get some input from people who tried these successfully or unsuccessfully. Is the video through the scope clear enough for target shooting? How well does the ballistic program work? Does it really switch from one gun to another with the profiles well? Are some models good and other you need to avoid? The advertising makes them look like the best thing since sliced bread, but that may just be good advertising.

I know that is a lot to ask, but I am not rich man and I don't want to waste my money on something that is more frustration than fun.

Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7179084 05/24/18 11:04 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
i don't know of any other days scopes that do recording through the lens, if that is most important to you, then OK. If you have any interest at all in Night Vision, you'll be much better served with a Pulsar product. ATN is so well thought of here, even their resident forum shill has given up on them.

Rifle switching a scope (if it allows for multiple profiles) is best done with a good mount like a Larue which does hold the zero.

If funds are tight, never be afraid of a good used buy. All of my optic gear was used.

<edit>

So I just read the other thread, where you were going to start this one, so I'll be more specific. I owned an X-Sight ! and one of their Thermals. They're not worth having, based on my experience, experience of many others on here and moreso by their "former" shill (you're a shill when you tirelessly defend in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, because you're getting "consideration' for your statements) and the other vendor commenting he has stopped selling them as well.

People don't do that for good products.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7179096 05/24/18 11:18 PM
19car69 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Night vision is honestly the part I would use the least. I actually asked the question here to get the opinions of people that would be honest about the bad parts.

Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7179099 05/24/18 11:26 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If you're not wanting it for night hunting, then you'd be much better off with one high quality conventional scope with solid and repeatable adjustments (this is practical if your rifles all have picatinny rails---but if not, then it is NOT practical). I can think of several reasons, and a couple of them would be image quality and reliability. Plus, no batteries required.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7179120 05/24/18 11:47 PM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I have the x sight II and use it just for night use only. There is honestly no reason to target shoot during the day with one. I am always at 3x at night; however, during the day if you zoom out just a little the image quality really goes to hell quickly and it's very grainy. The recording feature is alright and works pretty well. I have never used the ballistic calculator function and have very little faith that it is accurate.

[Linked Image]
Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7179200 05/25/18 01:17 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
I have an X-Sight and it's too glitchy to use. Even after all the firmware updates I've installed. Biggest POS I've ever wasted money on. I don't trust their ballistic program either. You can download a ballistics calculator on your phone and use it for any and every traditional rifle scope.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7179264 05/25/18 02:23 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
There is no other scope on the market right now that has the color, clarity and contrast of the recorded video than the ATN X-Sight II or 4K. That was the hardest part for me to step down fromt heir pro staff. That is my favorite feature on these scopes Their ability to record in HD video in the day time. The ballistic calculator works well, but you can find that on other scopes, such as the Burris Optics Eliminator series, but then again it does not record video. But other options are on the market to record video through any scope.. Such as the cell phone adapters.. One good one I think has potential is the Phone Scope.. Your phone connects to the scope to record but does not obstruct the lens.. So this is a good option if you are looking for day time recording on your current glass scope.

However the ATN X-Sight 4K is a good overall scope, there are other options that will fit your needs. I have been using them exclusively for the past 2 years, and I am excited to expand my options.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: ATN Sights [Re: TXGH] #7179324 05/25/18 03:14 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
There is no other scope on the market right now that has the color, clarity and contrast of the recorded video than the ATN X-Sight II or 4K. That was the hardest part for me to step down fromt heir pro staff. That is my favorite feature on these scopes Their ability to record in HD video in the day time. The ballistic calculator works well, but you can find that on other scopes, such as the Burris Optics Eliminator series, but then again it does not record video. But other options are on the market to record video through any scope.. Such as the cell phone adapters.. One good one I think has potential is the Phone Scope.. Your phone connects to the scope to record but does not obstruct the lens.. So this is a good option if you are looking for day time recording on your current glass scope.

However the ATN X-Sight 4K is a good overall scope, there are other options that will fit your needs. I have been using them exclusively for the past 2 years, and I am excited to expand my options.

And you're the only one that has all this good to say about it.

I can bolt on my Nightforce ATACR to one of your rifles, and you'll love the clarity, love the way the turrets feel, loce the lack of need to adjust focus very far, and how damn tough the scope is to accidental impacts.

But don't zero it, after I dialed in 10 Mils down impact, and 5 Mils windage impact, and it is worthless on the rifle.

See the parallels?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: ATN Sights [Re: J.G.] #7179475 05/25/18 11:59 AM
T
TXGH Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie

And you're the only one that has all this good to say about it.

I can bolt on my Nightforce ATACR to one of your rifles, and you'll love the clarity, love the way the turrets feel, loce the lack of need to adjust focus very far, and how damn tough the scope is to accidental impacts.

But don't zero it, after I dialed in 10 Mils down impact, and 5 Mils windage impact, and it is worthless on the rifle.

See the parallels?

I understand.. This is why I am expanding my options. for the past 2 years I have been strictly on one optic. It will be nice to explore the world of night vision and see first hand everything on the market

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7180153 05/25/18 10:36 PM
19car69 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Thank you for the input.

Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7180294 05/26/18 01:52 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
For most people I don’t see the value in recording video. The only scenario I would consider it a feature is in training someone.

I could see a version were I use it at a know hunting distance with a kid. That way I can see what he is looking at and provide feedback for a higher chance of a successful hunt.

If you are going to want to hunt a distance you are better with an optical,scope and good turrets. To me mechanical systems will always be more reliable then electrical ones

Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7180298 05/26/18 01:58 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Only reason I use the record feature is because my suppressor is still in jail and I cannot shoot. Once I get that the x sight becomes a toy to use around the neighborhood looking for dillos.

[Linked Image]
Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7185307 06/01/18 01:47 AM
F
fr3db3ar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
The nicest thing about video is being able to see what you may have done right or wrong during the shots, and sharing with all your friends later.

Re: ATN Sights [Re: 19car69] #7185386 06/01/18 04:18 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Or laughing at friends but my buddy did not throw me under the bus on that deal thank God roflmao

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide