facebook
Forum Stats
63579 Members
45 Forums
450705 Topics
6228033 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#7172470 - 05/17/18 04:05 PM Hunting Backpack in Houston?
JB1316 Offline
Woodsman

Im planning to expand my hunting out of state this year and am looking to get a hunting backpack that will get me and gear 4 or 5 days in the woods & carry game out. Im looking at all the popular brands, Stone Glacier, Mountain Hardware, Eblestock, packs etc. But want to try them on first vs blindly buying online. Does anyone know stores around the Houston area that sell these? REI just sells traditional hiking/backpacking gear, Academy doesnt really have anything like this either. Does Basspro in Katy or the Cabelas down in League City? Any other places that sell this kind of hunting equipment around Houston I may not know about?

#7172587 - 05/17/18 06:22 PM Re: Hunting Backpack in Houston? [Re: JB1316]
Cleric Offline
Veteran Tracker

IMO of the three best brands for bags like this (kuiu, exo, and mystery ranch) donít have much retail space. In fact 2 of them donít do retail. I would try to find someone that has one or two of them to try on.

#7172629 - 05/17/18 07:15 PM Re: Hunting Backpack in Houston? [Re: JB1316]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: JB1316
Im planning to expand my hunting out of state this year and am looking to get a hunting backpack that will get me and gear 4 or 5 days in the woods & carry game out. Im looking at all the popular brands, Stone Glacier, Mountain Hardware, Eblestock, packs etc. But want to try them on first vs blindly buying online. Does anyone know stores around the Houston area that sell these? REI just sells traditional hiking/backpacking gear, Academy doesnt really have anything like this either. Does Basspro in Katy or the Cabelas down in League City? Any other places that sell this kind of hunting equipment around Houston I may not know about?

I get Mountain hardware for free or at the very least wholesale and I run EXO.

Unfortunately in TX packs are like trekking and alpine boots... pick a company with a good return policy and get to ordering

Exo, Stone, Kifaru, MR and Kuiu all have good return policies

If I was on a very limited budget I would buy a frame(exo, kifaru etc) and just run a big dry bag over the other options you listed, In my experience thier is a very big difference once over 50lbs, and some even 40lbs

#7172707 - 05/17/18 08:13 PM Re: Hunting Backpack in Houston? [Re: BOBO the Clown]
JB1316 Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: JB1316

I get Mountain hardware for free or at the very least wholesale and I run EXO.

Unfortunately in TX packs are like trekking and alpine boots... pick a company with a good return policy and get to ordering

Exo, Stone, Kifaru, MR and Kuiu all have good return policies

If I was on a very limited budget I would buy a frame(exo, kifaru etc) and just run a big dry bag over the other options you listed, In my experience thier is a very big difference once over 50lbs, and some even 40lbs

Yea, itís kind of like looking for snow shoes around here. Just not our style.

#7172734 - 05/17/18 08:25 PM Re: Hunting Backpack in Houston? [Re: JB1316]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Itís hard to phantom spending that much money one a pack, but it makes a difference when under load.

EXO and kifaru have really good CS. Just call them.

Also you can caught a few used packs every now and then on different forum classifieds.

I hear Alps Is a decent udget pack, but I havenít personally hauled with it so canít say.

#7172842 - 05/17/18 10:10 PM Re: Hunting Backpack in Houston? [Re: JB1316]
TLew Offline
Light Foot

I am a big fan of my Sitka. I have several hiking and backpacking packs that Iíve used from Colorado to Alaska, but none of them was particularly good for doing 10-15 Miles a day with a gun. Sitkaís amd other packs are meant to carry firearms, quartered animals, etc.

There will be compromises whichever way you go, so you just have to figure out what your non negotiable items are.

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide