Print Thread
Binary Triggers #7159904 05/04/18 01:32 PM
B
Bow hunter 91 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
It appears that I am late to the game. I just learned about binary triggers. I was wondering if any one here has used them and their thoughts. While the binary option is really cool, it is important to me that I can still have a crisp trigger in the semi-auto mode.

Also any concerns on the policy side? with all the talks on bump fires, could these be next?

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7160013 05/04/18 02:55 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The binary trigger is a fun trigger to shoot. It works well. You can use it like a normal trigger, and when you don't want to shoot the second round, move the safety to safe and let off the trigger. If you want to do a mag dump and send a lot of rounds quickly, you have to make sure your finger doesn't go faster than the cycling of the action. If it does, the trigger will not reset. It's a fun trigger to play with.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Binary Triggers [Re: ChadTRG42] #7160025 05/04/18 03:05 PM
B
Bow hunter 91 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The binary trigger is a fun trigger to shoot. It works well. You can use it like a normal trigger, and when you don't want to shoot the second round, move the safety to safe and let off the trigger. If you want to do a mag dump and send a lot of rounds quickly, you have to make sure your finger doesn't go faster than the cycling of the action. If it does, the trigger will not reset. It's a fun trigger to play with.

Thanks for the input chad, if it performs well in semi auto I was planning on putting it in my main lower that currently has a geissele trigger. It is stamped and occasionally I put different uppers on it and use it for different purposes.
Do you recommend putting it on that lower or another that I only use with 16" upppers?

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7160077 05/04/18 03:38 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I guess that's up to you. The binary triggers, IMO, are for firing more rounds quickly. If precision is the goal, I would keep a standard trigger. But if lots of rounds quickly is what you want, then the binary would certainly do that.

Another thing about shooting AR's I've noticed. I have seen many shooters run high end AR's in competition where most shooters run a bolt gun. The good AR shooters run the AR about the same speed as the shooters with a bolt gun (speed, as in how quickly they shoot). Most AR shooters have trouble shooting an AR because they fire rounds too quickly. In a nut shell, they just miss quicker. So, I recommend a system that will allow you to shoot accurately vs a system where you shoot more rounds, but those rounds are not accurate. You are taking a semi auto system that shoots fast already, and making it shoot even faster. The mentality to S L O W - D O W N when shooting an AR to be accurate can be difficult. Most shooters know they have a semi auto and a 20-30 round mag, and just launch more rounds instead of making that one round count. I think it would be even harder with a binary trigger, especially on the second shot when you have to release the trigger backwards.

If you had one lower with the binary trigger to play with, it certainly would be fun to mess around with, though.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Binary Triggers [Re: ChadTRG42] #7160103 05/04/18 04:04 PM
B
Bow hunter 91 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I guess that's up to you. The binary triggers, IMO, are for firing more rounds quickly. If precision is the goal, I would keep a standard trigger. But if lots of rounds quickly is what you want, then the binary would certainly do that.

Another thing about shooting AR's I've noticed. I have seen many shooters run high end AR's in competition where most shooters run a bolt gun. The good AR shooters run the AR about the same speed as the shooters with a bolt gun (speed, as in how quickly they shoot). Most AR shooters have trouble shooting an AR because they fire rounds too quickly. In a nut shell, they just miss quicker. So, I recommend a system that will allow you to shoot accurately vs a system where you shoot more rounds, but those rounds are not accurate. You are taking a semi auto system that shoots fast already, and making it shoot even faster. The mentality to S L O W - D O W N when shooting an AR to be accurate can be difficult. Most shooters know they have a semi auto and a 20-30 round mag, and just launch more rounds instead of making that one round count. I think it would be even harder with a binary trigger, especially on the second shot when you have to release the trigger backwards.

If you had one lower with the binary trigger to play with, it certainly would be fun to mess around with, though.

Fair point. I think you are right. I am going to put it on another lower. Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7160472 05/04/18 09:24 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
A friend recently put a binary trigger on his AR and there was no way to fire just one shot. Trying to put the safety on after the first shot fired the weapon. Absolutely the dumbest accessory I have ever seen.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7160520 05/04/18 10:23 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Feeding it will take you to the poor house.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: The Dude Abides] #7162556 05/07/18 01:08 PM
B
Bow hunter 91 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
Feeding it will take you to the poor house.

That's what I am afraid of.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7162620 05/07/18 02:11 PM
T
That 1 GUy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I put the Fostech GenII in my 9mm SBR and it is a blast. You will probably eat up 1k rounds just getting your finger used to the new trigger (timing, break...etc) but once you get it just right, she runs like a dream.

And if you want to shoot semi, put it in semi, binary, well switch to binary and of course, you can put it in safe if you don't want the second shot while in Binary...it works on the gen II.

Only think I will mention is that for this to work on a bolt other than M16 you will have to do some shaving on metal somewhere. My 9mm bolt, and most I think have extra material where the hammer slides inside the carrier. I shaved down a little on the sides of my trigger sear to help it fit, did not affect function on bit.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: That 1 GUy] #7163104 05/07/18 09:27 PM
B
Bow hunter 91 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: That 1 GUy

Only think I will mention is that for this to work on a bolt other than M16 you will have to do some shaving on metal somewhere. My 9mm bolt, and most I think have extra material where the hammer slides inside the carrier. I shaved down a little on the sides of my trigger sear to help it fit, did not affect function on bit.

Good point. Yeah That can be an issue. I have heard about that. While in the topic of 9mm upper on an SBR, did you get a dedicated Lower to receive 9mm mags? or are you running a conversion kit? Thanks for your help.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7163113 05/07/18 09:38 PM
T
That 1 GUy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Bow hunter 91
Originally Posted By: That 1 GUy

Good point. Yeah That can be an issue. I have heard about that. While in the topic of 9mm upper on an SBR, did you get a dedicated Lower to receive 9mm mags? or are you running a conversion kit? Thanks for your help.

I am running a dedicated glock mag lower from joe bobs called "spartan". The bolt catch does not work but I have become quite good at counting rounds.

For accuracy reference...i run a octane 45 on a 5" barrel. With 147gn subsonic ammo i can put 17 rounds in a 1" hole...when running the binary function it expands to about 5" with 2-3 flyers

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7163115 05/07/18 09:39 PM
T
That 1 GUy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Still dont regret the $500 or additional ammo cost so yeah...merica

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7163162 05/07/18 10:20 PM
S
shumpertdavid Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
My only experience is with Franklin Armory's Binary trigger. I've shot both the original (pre BFS III not sure if there was a BFS I and BFS II) and the BFS III. The most recent version (BFS III) has 2 different sets of fire control group springs and 2 different buffer springs. I swapped the older unit out for the BFS III for a friend and the III has a much crisper and lighter trigger in semi mode. The original was heavy and notchy. Our first impressions were that the original ran better in binary mode, it had a smoother rhythm and feel to it. I believe the heavier springs attributed to that but didn't spend enough time behind the trigger to confirm. We also left the original buffer spring that was in the rifle (it's a Franklin Armory AR 15) rather than installing either of the springs that came with the trigger group. The plan was to see how function was between the 3 springs we had and leave the best performing (time has not allowed for that testing yet).

The BFS III would fire binary mode with my .22 Dedicated upper installed as well (uses CMMG barrel and Bolt assembly) where the older BFS would not function correctly. I believe the older version needed a full auto bolt or a modified bolt if memory serves correct.

For the price difference between the other options and the Franklin, I felt the Franklin was the way to go. To the point that I ordered 2 for myself along with 5 for my friend.

Optics Planet had them last for $389.00 and free shipping.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7163166 05/07/18 10:22 PM
B
BCJ Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I have a few of the BFSIII and Echo triggers, as well as true machine guns. I will say the binary triggers are fun and great for double taps. I will let a new shooter play with a binary long before handing them a machine gun - if you clench up on a binary it doesn't keep shooting...

This is the Echo in a blowback 9mm AR with integral suppressor.

Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7163249 05/07/18 11:32 PM
B
biggerD Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Saw one a 22 and think looked like a ton of fun. That ammo will not break you if that’s what you are afraid of.

Originally Posted By: djones

Not sure if I'd call you a machine, but you are definitely a tool.
Re: Binary Triggers [Re: Bow hunter 91] #7163305 05/08/18 12:28 AM
B
BCJ Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Here is the BFSIII with a CMMG 22lr upper and a belt fed 5.56

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide