Forums46
Topics538,043
Posts9,732,291
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170727 05/15/18 08:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
violin crying

One day when you grow up you will understand why we are upset

Yeah, Chital, go put your recoil pad on that .30-30.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7170736 05/15/18 09:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Low participation rates? In 16 ‘ They issued 262 unlimited tags... only issued 126 ram tags is normal PP units.

Seriously??? It’s not viable because it’s tough hunting and not 100% success? It’s hunting, not shooting.

If you want to hunt big horn sheep, and can’t afford BC and entered drawing game late in life, and If you identify as sheep “hunter” why wouldn’t you?

Brandon is young, in shape and looking for an adventure. Why wouldn’t he?

Montana isn’t as high elevation as CO. So if you have hunted above tree line a bunch in CO, 8-12’ isn’t that big of deal. Steep is easier to deal with then steep and thin air.

The “why you wouldn’t” is clear. The stats above speak for themselves. Anyone who knows the first thing about sheep hunting knows the deal on the Unlimiteds. You have brought them up before as though they are simply another option for anyone. That is like saying “If you want to run a 4:00 mile, just start running and do it.”

It’s silly.

I’m not wanting to argue (particularly with you), but folks need to know the facts when they read forums like this. The facts are the Unlimiteds are only an option for the most hardcore folks with a lot of time - and even for them they are a sucky option if one really seeks to kill a ram.

All your arguing to the contrary won’t change that.

Not an argument in any form. Some people like to hunt.

You either only do high to 100% success sheep hunts via waiting years/maybe even never or drop major cash for BC or Gov tag........or you can go unlimited and Hunt year after year Until you kill out and have to take a 7 year break.

Facts aren’t hard for them to look up. Shocking... It’s not your typical 100% success Montana and Wyoming big horn hunts. It’s hunting.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170738 05/15/18 09:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
But I want to draw deer tags with 0 or 1 PP....

You can, that’s my point. Left over tags every year.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7170774 05/15/18 09:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Low participation rates? In 16 ‘ They issued 262 unlimited tags... only issued 126 ram tags is normal PP units.

Seriously??? It’s not viable because it’s tough hunting and not 100% success? It’s hunting, not shooting.

If you want to hunt big horn sheep, and can’t afford BC and entered drawing game late in life, and If you identify as sheep “hunter” why wouldn’t you?

Brandon is young, in shape and looking for an adventure. Why wouldn’t he?

Montana isn’t as high elevation as CO. So if you have hunted above tree line a bunch in CO, 8-12’ isn’t that big of deal. Steep is easier to deal with then steep and thin air.

The “why you wouldn’t” is clear. The stats above speak for themselves. Anyone who knows the first thing about sheep hunting knows the deal on the Unlimiteds. You have brought them up before as though they are simply another option for anyone. That is like saying “If you want to run a 4:00 mile, just start running and do it.”

It’s silly.

I’m not wanting to argue (particularly with you), but folks need to know the facts when they read forums like this. The facts are the Unlimiteds are only an option for the most hardcore folks with a lot of time - and even for them they are a sucky option if one really seeks to kill a ram.

All your arguing to the contrary won’t change that.

Not an argument in any form. Some people like to hunt.

You either only do high to 100% success sheep hunts via waiting years/maybe even never or drop major cash for BC or Gov tag........or you can go unlimited and Hunt year after year Until you kill out and have to take a 7 year break.

Facts aren’t hard for them to look up. Shocking... It’s not your typical 100% success Montana and Wyoming big horn hunts. It’s hunting.

I posted the facts - they’re right up there. Most hunters want to do more than glorified camping trips year after year with a bow or rifle on their pack. At least with the Unlimiteds for sheep, I guess one consolation is you’re in good company when you strike out - unlike a bunch of “0-fer” elk hunts.

So there’s that.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170816 05/15/18 10:28 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Facts? All you did was confirm what I had already said it’s a hunt, it’s not a glassing from the truck camp type hunt..

There are a lot of people that don’t want to have their hand held when they go out west, they want the entire experience for their hunt. There is also lots of people that enjoy taking others out and teaching them what they have been doing since birth also. It’s not all about the $60k worth of grip and grins on a Forum.

Again if someone is looking for an adventure and wants to hunt a big horn, and doesn’t have the money or infinite time, Montana Unlimited units have tags available, maybe you will be one of the sheep hunters that fill thier tags, maybe you won’t, but historically someone is going to most likely fill that quota. You sure as hell arent going to kill one if you don’t try.

Some people will take hunting 3–5 states a year via opportunity tags all day ever day over doing a once a 10 year hand held type shooter hunt just for a gripe in grin,

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170837 05/15/18 10:52 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
In addition to just talking to hear yourself talk, your old same ol’, same ol’ passive/aggressive stuff isn’t working. smile

Just wanted get the facts out there. That’s done.

Have a good one, BOBO.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7170869 05/15/18 11:24 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
In addition to just talking to hear yourself talk, your old same ol’, same ol’ passive/aggressive stuff isn’t working. smile

Have a good one, BOBO.

roflmao same old elitest NP, either hunt you way or no way. God forbid someone hunt out west on thier own, obviously you won’t ever understand it’s not about gripe and grin photo moments and forum bragging boards.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7170894 05/15/18 11:53 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Have a good one, BOBO.

roflmao same old elitest NP, either hunt you way or no way. God forbid someone hunt out west on thier own, obviously you won’t ever understand

First, you don’t have a clue about 1/10th of my hunts out west. (And I really don’t care if you ever do.)
Second, nothing on the subject of the Unlimiteds is about me.
Third, (as I said) kudos to all who hunt in any way they choose. Including you.
Finally, since you’re the one constantly dissing others’ hunts out west, I’m pretty sure the “elitist” is in your mirror. You can rag on my goat hunt this fall as you have with the rest. smile

Funny thing is, tomorrow you’ll be name-dropping your internet and TV “heroes” (who hunt almost exclusively bought big $$$ tags/hunts) to bootstrap your aura of knowing-it-all.

Do they know you don’t really think too much of them or their methods?

Oh, btw, please post up all your Unlimited rams since it’s such a viable option for badass DIYers such as yourself. I’d love to hear the stories so I can understand better. Thanks. up

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170982 05/16/18 01:11 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Fellas, Fellas,

Let’s not argue amongst ourselves.

Let’s turn back to the topic that I must have overlooked, that being chital needs a recoil pad on a 30-30....

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170987 05/16/18 01:15 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Fellas, Fellas,

Let’s not argue amongst ourselves.

Let’s turn back to the topic that I must have overlooked, that being chital needs a recoil pad on a 30-30....

Lol it’s on the Rifles Forum. Check it out. I wasn’t going to say a word - then the “poke” came. grin

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7170989 05/16/18 01:16 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Have a good one, BOBO.

roflmao same old elitest NP, either hunt you way or no way. God forbid someone hunt out west on thier own, obviously you won’t ever understand

Quote:

First, you don’t have a clue about 1/10th of my hunts out west. (And I really don’t care if you ever do.)
Second, nothing on the subject of the Unlimiteds is about me.
Third, (as I said) kudos to all who hunt in any way they choose. Including you.
Finally, since you’re the one constantly dissing others’ hunts out west, I’m pretty sure the “elitist” is in your mirror. You can rag on my goat hunt this fall as you have with the rest. smile

No body said anything about your hunts, you playing your stereo typical victim.
Only three options to hunt BIg Horns in Lower 48. Draw a tag, buy an auction tag or go hunt the unlimited. I simply let TTrophy know he has options. Sorry if that offends you that someone would suggest an option even if it’s out of your reach. Why would I rag on your goat hunt? It’s a goat hunt.

Quote:

Funny thing is, tomorrow you’ll be name-dropping your internet and TV “heroes” (who hunt almost exclusively bought big $$$ tags/hunts) to bootstrap your aura of knowing-it-all.

Do they know you don’t really think too much of them or their methods?

That’s randomly werid, but typical of the normal BS you post. I posted about Harrison ram hunt. Yelp he paid 350k for the tag. I posted it because I think it’s was cool he took his 10 year old son with him along every step of the way. I also posted about the 6 year old that killed a ram in NM. Guess posting about kids going hunting is taboo and now called “tv hero’s”. I Learned something new today

I’ve bought landowner tags, I’ve bought private land access, I own land and draw tags, I hunt DIY also, Ive also hunted out west for almost 30 years. I didn’t just start 13 years ago... I don’t hide anything about my hunts especially while talking crap about others. If any of my friends can’t handle someone making a corresponding parrall then maybe they should rethink their demeaning comments to others,

Quote:

Oh, btw, please post up all your Unlimited rams since it’s such a viable option for badass DIYers such as yourself. I’d love to hear the stories so I can understand better. Thanks. up

Forgot only you have ever hunted above tree line....

Badass DIYer such as myself??? Well maybe you should actually try it before you knock others. It explains your stance against unlimited tags now, except there are guides that guide it........

Damn all this for suggesting Brandon go hunt sheep in an unlimited units instead of waiting until he is 60

Brandon if you want more info let me know, if you truly want to hunt big horn sheep you have options.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7171000 05/16/18 01:29 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You’re just rambling dude....without knowledge or basis as always. Making it up as you go. You don’t have anything but bits and pieces on my experience-yet post as if you know it all. (IDK where your “13 years” comes from - maybe my first ram? Been hunting out west/up north longer. All methods, all types of hunts. Oh well, no matter.)

Unlike you, I don’t claim to be an expert or “know it all”. I’m decidedly not. But I do know what I don’t know. I also don’t presume to be an “advice guru” on an animal I’ve never hunted. And I damn sure wouldn’t send anyone to the Unlimiteds without full disclosure of what that entailed - as you were happy to do (almost certainly because you didn’t know yourself until this thread took its course - maybe with a little quick “Googling” thrown in, who knows?).

Shouldn’t be surprised though - it’s your usual pattern.

For the umpteenth time, I’m all for any way anyone wants to hunt out west. You included. My only “stance” is against ignorance. Especially ignorance disguised in a phony cloak of “expertise”.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7171036 05/16/18 02:08 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I'm devastated that I actually wasted my time reading this whole thread......

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: stxranchman] #7171042 05/16/18 02:12 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Hey, it’s better than TV. I’ve checked.... grin

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: stxranchman] #7171058 05/16/18 02:23 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

There was a fair bit of knowledge gained

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7171064 05/16/18 02:30 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
You’re just rambling dude....without knowledge or basis as always. Making it up as you go. You don’t have anything but bits and pieces on my experience-yet post as if you know it all. (IDK where your “13 years” comes from - maybe my first ram? Been hunting out west/up north longer. All methods, all types of hunts. Oh well, no matter.) Unlike you, I don’t claim to be an expert or “know it all”. I’m decidedly not. But I do know what I don’t know. And I don’t presume to be an “advice guru” on an animal I’ve never hunted. And I damn sure wouldn’t send anyone to the Unlimiteds without full disclosure of what that entailed - as you were happy to do (almost certainly because you didn’t know yourself until this thread took its course - maybe with a little quick “Googling” thrown in, who knows?).

Shouldn’t be surprised though - it’s your usual pattern.

For the umpteenth time, I’m all for any way anyone wants to hunt out west. You included. My only “stance” is against ignorance. Which is why we go round and round a lot. smile

Pattern and ignorance? Telling Brandon to check out the unlimited units is giving foolish advice???. if you really want to hunt BH sheep, foolish is telling someone to wait until you are 60 to hunt BH sheep, if BH is really what you really want to do.

I give advice mainly on what I have used equipment wise, I hunted out west last year almost 25 days in three states, and hunted four states total and that’s pretty regular for me. So ya I get out a lot, and I’m blessed to be able to purchase lots of gear to try out, I’m also blessed, to get to hunt 70 plus days a year. So ya if I can save someone some money, I will. I’ve also helped lots of guys with areas in states I’ve hunted or backpacked in. That’s not being an expert that just giving advice.

Again you don’t have to hunt sheep to be around them, typical of you to think only a sheep tag holder knows anything thing about sheep.

I didn’t say you only been hunting out west for 13 years I said I had been hunting longer then 13 years, over 30 to be exact. But you can twist anything

Your last line is pure BS, or we wouldn’t be having this discussion about unlimited being an option for Brandon, or any other able bodied hunter that truly wants to hunt BH Sheep. .

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7171105 05/16/18 03:23 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Brandon, the Unlimiteds are an option. To summarize and add a little to the above:

They issue all the tags hunters request (thus, the number can be anything - that’s why they are called the “Unlimiteds”, after all). Unlike all other sheep units in North America, that is no indication of sheep numbers (especially rams-which are all that’s legal) in the units.

Usually about 250 tags are requested. Because there are,again, unlimited tags issued - that’s a small number considering the tens of thousands of guys who do or would like to hunt sheep.

Usually about 150 of those tag holders actually hunt (many of those that don’t either just want to see a ram tag or get there and realize it’s not for them - probably didn’t know what getting into, maybe because some guy just told them it was an option but didn’t know/tell them the facts. smile )

It’s rough, unforgiving country with few sheep in it.

Only the hardcore guys (in shape, lots of time, low expectations) even attempt it.
Even so, success rates are low. Very low. A few rams are taken each year (usually smaller ones, but that’s OK,again, just full disclosure). Often quotas are not met all season in several of the units. When they are met, hunting stops in those units. Another factor to consider.

No one but the most woefully uninformed or the toughest of the tough would attempt it as their first sheep hunt. Because for anyone else (like me, for instance) it’s almost certainly folly (if one truly seeks to have some hope of actually taking a ram) barring a huge dose of lottery luck.

As a result of this thread, you do not fall into the former category. If you fall into the latter, and don’t mind putting in lots of time (months, years) for a small chance of success, then have fun and Godspeed. As with all who give it a go, you will be sheep hunting (whatever that means to you).

I’ll be the first to congratulate you on the attempt(s) and will absolutely party down with you if you kill a ram.

banana2

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7171166 05/16/18 07:15 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Brandon, the Unlimiteds are an option. To summarize and add a little to the above:

They issue all the tags hunters request (thus, the number can be anything - that’s why they are called the “Unlimiteds”, after all). Unlike all other sheep units in North America, that is no indication of sheep numbers (especially rams-which are all that’s legal) in the units.

Usually about 250 tags are requested. Because there are,again, unlimited tags issued - that’s a small number considering the tens of thousands of guys who do or would like to hunt sheep.

Usually about 150 of those tag holders actually hunt (many of those that don’t either just want to see a ram tag or get there and realize it’s not for them - probably didn’t know what getting into, maybe because some guy just told them it was an option but didn’t know/tell them the facts. smile )

It’s rough, unforgiving country with few sheep in it.

Only the hardcore guys (in shape, lots of time, low expectations) even attempt it.
Even so, success rates are low. Very low. A few rams are taken each year (usually smaller ones, but that’s OK,again, just full disclosure). Often quotas are not met all season in several of the units. When they are met, hunting stops in those units. Another factor to consider.

No one but the most woefully uninformed or the toughest of the tough would attempt it as their first sheep hunt. Because for anyone else (like me, for instance) it’s almost certainly folly (if one truly seeks to have some hope of actually taking a ram) barring a huge dose of lottery luck.

As a result of this thread, you do not fall into the former category. If you fall into the latter, and don’t mind putting in lots of time (months, years) for a small chance of success, then have fun and Godspeed. As with all who give it a go, you will be sheep hunting (whatever that means to you).

I’ll be the first to congratulate you on the attempt(s) and will absolutely party down with you if you kill a ram.

banana2

Ironic, Ive had a pm with Brandon since 4:20pm, going over the good bad and ugly.

Keep taking pop shots at me and making up lies about me.

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7171256 05/16/18 01:26 PM
T
Texasphez Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Dang, I've been busy planting corn and haven't been on here, look what I missed!

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7171347 05/16/18 03:06 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yeah I’ll just go ahead and throw the libertarian/conservative bomb into this convo.

It cracks me up two of the biggest forum liberals chewing each other up over public land draw hunting. When any honest semi intelligent person knows that in private hands, these lands would produce more opportunities than the number of hunters could fill, thus driving sheep/goat/elk/moose etc hunt prices to levels everyone could afford.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: therancher] #7171452 05/16/18 05:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher
Yeah I’ll just go ahead and throw the libertarian/conservative bomb into this convo.

It cracks me up two of the biggest forum liberals chewing each other up over public land draw hunting. When any honest semi intelligent person knows that in private hands, these lands would produce more opportunities than the number of hunters could fill, thus driving sheep/goat/elk/moose etc hunt prices to levels everyone could afford.

Hey rancher, whatchu doin’, trying to play “peacemaker” and bring Cain and Abel together by calling us “liberals”?
You old softie..... smile

I’m sure your mountain goat, sheep, and moose ranching skills are second to none. up

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7171454 05/16/18 05:17 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Hey rancher, whatchu doin’, trying to play “peacemaker” and bring Cain and Abel together by calling us “liberals”?

I’m sure your mountain goat, sheep, and moose ranching skills are second to none. up

They are impeccable lol.

Last edited by therancher; 05/16/18 05:18 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: txtrophy85] #7171457 05/16/18 05:21 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have seen plenty of big horns within 200 yards of the roads in CO. Some on shoulder of I70. What is the challenge? popcorn

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: therancher] #7171458 05/16/18 05:21 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

They are impeccable lol.

grin

Re: I’m devastated....complete loss for words [Re: Txduckman] #7171474 05/16/18 05:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I have seen plenty of big horns within 200 yards of the roads in CO. Some on shoulder of I70. What is the challenge? popcorn

Trying to get a shot between passing cars...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide