Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: Buzzsaw] #7179133 05/25/18 12:02 AM
cheyne Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I have been hunting with Robert Echols (903) 235-3250 in Sweet Water the last 5-6 years. We normaly go the first weekend in October and he has 25-30 people. Only had one hunt that we did not see a lot of birds, a cold front came in that Saturday so the birds did not fly much.

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: Buzzsaw] #7179281 05/25/18 02:37 AM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Bobcat,,, you would shock a dog for chasing a cripple bird ??? If my dog refused to chase a crippled bird I would get rid of him. I guess your dog is mostly for your children to pet, not to hunt with.

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: nate33] #7179336 05/25/18 03:23 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: nate33
Bobcat,,, you would shock a dog for chasing a cripple bird ??? If my dog refused to chase a crippled bird I would get rid of him. I guess your dog is mostly for your children to pet, not to hunt with.
Nate I guess I needed to make myself clear. He would only be shocked for not heeding my command to stop. It was 100 degrees or better and when a bird flies that far in front of other guns I prefer my dog to stop and come back when I say here so he does not get overheated among other safety and courtesy to other hunter reasons. I have had one overheat before and its not pretty.

As far as my children the youngest is 28 and the oldest 40. They don't play with my dogs. I suppose you have no idea of actually training a dog to obey commands but I do and it usually is for their own safety. If I tell a dog to come or whoa I have a reason for it. Yes he brought back the bird but I have no idea if another hunter killed it in front of my dog or not and I don't know if they shot it how close he was when they did. He is probably the best natural dog I have ever had but I expect him to obey. If he was about to run in front of a car or get bit by a snake I want to have control of him. So you let your dog be all natural and I'll train mine.

Bobby Barnett

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: Buzzsaw] #7179685 05/25/18 02:48 PM
N
nate33 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I have never heard of a complaint of a dog retrieving a bird. The complaint was hunters yelling at their dogs , which I totally understand. --------- let him retrieve, just don't yell at him --would seem to be the solution.

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: Buzzsaw] #7179742 05/25/18 03:34 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I couldn't care less about somebody yelling at his dog. As long as the dog isn't consistently running around close to me screwing up my opportunities to shoot, I'm good.

Not ideal, but doesn't change my hunt. BTW I never blame the dog... it is the owner that is the problem for not putting in the effort to train ahead of time.

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: LarryCopper] #7180106 05/25/18 09:51 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
He got loved up for bringing the bird Nate. I was proud of him. He has tremendous prey drive. I love the dog so much I didn't want him accidentally shot or fouling up someone else's hunt like Larry mentioned. Thus the hearing aid was put on and it ever only takes one mild shock to remind him to listen. That bird would have went down a lot sooner if he wasn't chasing him. Then he could go fetch. By the way I never in almost 50 years of dog training ever shocked a dog when retrieving or pointing birds. Only for disobeying direct commands.

Have a nice day.

Bobby Barnett

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: LarryCopper] #7180119 05/25/18 09:59 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
I couldn't care less about somebody yelling at his dog. As long as the dog isn't consistently running around close to me screwing up my opportunities to shoot, I'm good.

Not ideal, but doesn't change my hunt. BTW I never blame the dog... it is the owner that is the problem for not putting in the effort to train ahead of time.

How does a dog screw up your opportunities to shoot? I won’t have out of control dogs around me but I don’t think one ever kept me from shooting a dove. Were these dogs waving flags?

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: bobcat1] #7180130 05/25/18 10:17 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Nate I guess I needed to make myself clear. He would only be shocked for not heeding my command to stop. It was 100 degrees or better and when a bird flies that far in front of other guns I prefer my dog to stop and come back when I say here so he does not get overheated among other safety and courtesy to other hunter reasons. I have had one overheat before and its not pretty.

As far as my children the youngest is 28 and the oldest 40. They don't play with my dogs. I suppose you have no idea of actually training a dog to obey commands but I do and it usually is for their own safety. If I tell a dog to come or whoa I have a reason for it. Yes he brought back the bird but I have no idea if another hunter killed it in front of my dog or not and I don't know if they shot it how close he was when they did. He is probably the best natural dog I have ever had but I expect him to obey. If he was about to run in front of a car or get bit by a snake I want to have control of him. So you let your dog be all natural and I'll train mine.

I’m with you on this one Bobby. I had a Brittany and my buddies lab retrieving dove for us and 8 others on a field in 100F heat. We hunted and killed limits on this field every day after work in San Angelo. We were nearing a 10 man limit and the dogs were looking bad. I kept a big ice chest full of water in the shade. I told the mutts to get in the ice chest and stay. They sat for several dove being shot. My Brit decided to break on a soaring bird. This was before I could afford a shock collar. I hollered whoa and that SOB kept running. I peppered him with the 20GA. He whoad then but was too close and I hit him way too hard. That’s the last dog I ever shot but from that moment on I could whisper whoa and he’d stand there all day. He might have died if he had run that dove down.
Shock collars have made dog training much more humane and enjoyable. I have one gyp that wears one every time she runs. I didn’t hit her with it one time last year but she listens at a word as long as it’s around her neck.

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: scalebuster] #7180301 05/26/18 02:01 AM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

How does a dog screw up your opportunities to shoot? I won’t have out of control dogs around me but I don’t think one ever kept me from shooting a dove. Were these dogs waving flags?

On the big leases I’ve done in the past, which won’t happen again, I’ve had it happen. Hunting a freshly harvested field so the birds were coming in real low. Low shots with a dog running around is not good.

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: scalebuster] #7180382 05/26/18 03:48 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Originally Posted By: bobcat1

I’m with you on this one Bobby. I had a Brittany and my buddies lab retrieving dove for us and 8 others on a field in 100F heat. We hunted and killed limits on this field every day after work in San Angelo. We were nearing a 10 man limit and the dogs were looking bad. I kept a big ice chest full of water in the shade. I told the mutts to get in the ice chest and stay. They sat for several dove being shot. My Brit decided to break on a soaring bird. This was before I could afford a shock collar. I hollered whoa and that SOB kept running. I peppered him with the 20GA. He whoad then but was too close and I hit him way too hard. That’s the last dog I ever shot but from that moment on I could whisper whoa and he’d stand there all day. He might have died if he had run that dove down.
Shock collars have made dog training much more humane and enjoyable. I have one gyp that wears one every time she runs. I didn’t hit her with it one time last year but she listens at a word as long as it’s around her neck.
Zactly! We used to take the lead shot out and put maze in it's place back in the day. It worked great on dogs wanting to bust birds before I could flush. They sure staunched up good after that. E-Collars have certainly made training much easier for me.

Bobby Barnett

Re: un crowded dove hunt [Re: Buzzsaw] #7186934 06/03/18 12:57 AM
D
duckhunter888 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Posting on this thread as I am interested in finding me a dove hunting option. I run solo, and live in the North area of DFW. I did bookmark a few of the websites mentioned on this thread. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide