Forums46
Topics537,805
Posts9,729,342
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7157032 05/01/18 10:18 PM
G
Gulfgoose Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I'm sure you have noticed already on this forum but the hunting world is just one giant brotherhood. Never be afraid to ask somebody a question. I also recommend the savage rifle/scope packages for starting out. Don't get caught up in the gimmick stuff either. A guy could spend thousands on scent control this and camo pattern that. If you're hunting from a blind the main thing is just be comfortable and prepared for any weather and have a gun that you are confident in. The key thing in being successful though is just to HAVE FUN!!

If you are really looking to pull your hair out though try snow goose hunting...

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: DH3] #7157312 05/02/18 03:39 AM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: DH3

Do not waste your time or money on shooting 500 yards, go to a local rifle range and learn to keep your shots in a 3" circle at 100 yards.
When you can do that EVERY time you shoot, you will be ready to hunt.

Good luck and good hunting.

Thank you DH3 for the rifle recommendation. Good advice.

How can I learn to keep my shots in a 3" circle at 100 yards? Do you recommend some type of rifle accuracy training? And lots of practice.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: PMK] #7157313 05/02/18 03:40 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: PMK
as others have stated, there are a lot better choices of rifles over an AR platform for deer. But with that said, there are a lot of people that successfully kill deer & hogs using an AR. If you opt to stick with that rifle, just be sure to get very proficient shooting it.

Thank you PMK for the comments

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7157326 05/02/18 03:57 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would also recommend a 22 rifle for plinking, a semi auto or a bolt action. A box of 22 shells goes a long way and are a lot cheaper than 270, 308 0r 30-06. Using it is not the same as a deer rifle, but experience on using either a scope or open sites is using the same principle. A box of 500 rounds can be found for less than $25.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Russ79] #7157342 05/02/18 04:21 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Russ79
Many have said you can deer hunt with an AR, but as a newbie I wouldn't suggest it to start out with. Get a good, solid bolt action rifle with good optics and get good with it first.

I appreciate it. It seems like everyone is recommends a rifle instead of AR. I will hold off on AR for now, but still buy a scope for it for fun shooting and practice, and red dot or home defense or whatever defense.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7157624 05/02/18 03:01 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

2cents my first deer rifle was the .45 Kentucky cap & ball. Todays in-lines way more acurate.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Bigfoot] #7158369 05/03/18 02:16 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
My first suggestion would be to buddy up with someone that has hunting experience and start picking his brain. You can get a very reasonably priced rifle in .270, .308, or 30-.06 to fit your beginning needs. Top with a quality 3-9x40 scope and start practicing. I have been shooting a Savage Model 110 in 30-.06 for close to 40 years and has never let me down. If you stick to the three calibers I mentioned you can generally find them in any mom and pop, middle-of-nowhere store if you get in a bind for ammo.

I second this guy above.

I think you are on the right track and thinking properly. 1.Start with the proper rifle and learn how to shoot it. Your first guns should be a bolt action and once you get used to that and learn that gun your second rifle will be an AR15 or AR10. As you learn more about guns on this forum and others you will figure out what best suits your needs. 2. start piecing together your hunting equipment little by little. Good waterproof boots camo clothing and some binoculars should get you through the first year. Buy the best stuff you can afford especially when it comes to guns. The more expensive the gun the better the resale value.

To buy a decent gun just look for one on the classifieds section here. Visit it twice a day if you need to. My personal preference for a good hunting round is just like the guy stated above. look for a bolt action rifle with a decent 3-9 scope for a cheap price and when you see the gun that you like in one of those calibers then make an offer and get it. Thats how I bought my rifle and I saved a fortune that way. I ended up with 30-06 but if my gun were offered in 270 or 308 I would have jumped on it also. Other calibers to look at are 243, 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08. Once you get your gun dont worry about a bunch of fancy rests or benches. You wont be hunting off a bench so learn to go with the minimum and think that you are training yourself to shoot for hunting. Always keep that in mind at the range. Buy you 2 sand bags and go shoot. The more you shoot the better you get. Nobody can tell you how to become a better shooter you have to spend time at the range. Once or twice a month from now till november and you will be fine. Book a cheap doe or hog hunt and get after it. Nothing teaches like experience. You can also go hunt in the sam houston national forest for deer and hogs with a $48 APH permit. Lots of rules to know so you will need to study the rules to go. But thats how every body gets started including myself. You have to put in the time to be successful.

Your first year or 2 you will stumble through it and then eventually your experience level will go up and keep going if you are a true hunter that is.

good luck

Thank you for the good advice.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7158584 05/03/18 12:36 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
elmer be very very quiet

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7158587 05/03/18 12:38 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
elmer be very very quiet

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7158609 05/03/18 01:00 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I love my Browning 270 A-Bolt with a Leupold 3 X 9 X 40 I use a 130 grain bullet and I have killed several animals past 200 yards. Also have killed several hogs over 250 lbs with one shot.

If you plan on only buying one rifle for eventually hunting all types of game including large game like Elk, I would buy a good 30-06 and make sure you put a good scope on it up

texas flag

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Russ79] #7161915 05/06/18 07:09 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Thank you for response and clear explanation in and helping me.

Yess, I am not ready for hunting at all. I want to get better at shooting.

Here is my plan to prepare for hunting hopefully by November.

Please everyone let me know if agree with my plan. I'm just starting out so I need help.

1. Get a bolt action rifle. I will choose a 270, 30-06, 308, etc. I will only hunt with bolt action rifle because from what I read and talking to others it’s just easier for me and I get a clean accuracy impactful shot. http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7161983#Post7161983

2. Get Scope for the rifle or buy one with scope already attached. 3x9 scope

3. Hire instructor at American Shooting range to teach me how to accurately shoot up 50-200 yards or higher. They charge like $75 per hour and will help me sight the rifle as well.

3. Practice twice a month at 50 to 200 yards til to make sure I am consistently accurate. I will practice just how I plan to sit in the deer/hog blind. Just keep on practicing.

4. Hopefully by August I be somewhat accurate.

5. Continue learning about hunting.

6. Hopefully go hunt this year or next if and only if I am shoot consistently accurate.

7. I will add a scope and red dot to the AR-15 and use as home defense or just practice as well or to allow family and friends to safely shoot at the range. But I will not use it for hunting.

Thank you all so much.

Please let me know if my plan make sense and offer your comments please.

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 05/07/18 01:29 AM.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7162174 05/07/18 12:26 AM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
In my opinion you are doing things backwards. It is almost like you are bound and determined to begin with the AR because it is what you have. Get a good, solid bolt action rifle in either .308 or 30-.06- both shoot .308 bullets and they probably have the widest range of bullet sizes for anything in North America you would conceivably hunt. Of course you change bullet sizes you will have to resight in your scope.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Russ79] #7162261 05/07/18 01:34 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
In my opinion you are doing things backwards. It is almost like you are bound and determined to begin with the AR because it is what you have. Get a good, solid bolt action rifle in either .308 or 30-.06- both shoot .308 bullets and they probably have the widest range of bullet sizes for anything in North America you would conceivably hunt. Of course you change bullet sizes you will have to resight in your scope.

Thank you Russ79,

You are correct and I agree with you, and I changed my plan above after some thoughts and reading. I will equip the AR later for home defense needs and practice targeting as I stated in my last post.

I was not aware the .308 and 30-.06 can use the same caliber and a resight is required if I change the bullet size. Why is this?

Thanks

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7162363 05/07/18 03:05 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
i apologize if i offend anybody..but this post just doesnt sound right..?????

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7162402 05/07/18 04:16 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Goodo Texas Boy

Thank you Russ79,

You are correct and I agree with you, and I changed my plan above after some thoughts and reading. I will equip the AR later for home defense needs and practice targeting as I stated in my last post.

Since the .308 and the 30-06 are same CALIBER (.308) they can use the same bullets. The difference is powder CAPACITY (The 30-06 has greater capacity). If you were into reloading your own ammo (which is a step that you have not taken) you would find that some loads for the 30-06 could not be applied to the .308 because the smaller case would overflow with powder and be unsafe to shoot.

I was not aware the .308 and 30-.06 can use the same caliber and a resight is required if I change the bullet size. Why is this?

Thanks

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7162641 05/07/18 02:40 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
If you shoot a 30-.06, like I do, you can change bullet weights depending on game. For deer I shoot 165 grain bullets, but say you want to hunt elk or maybe Nilgi, you might want to go to 180 grain bullet or heavier. You will have a different point of impact so you will need to resight your gun in. I do reload, or rather used to quite a lot, and learned that you can play with amount of powder and bullet weights, to a certain extent, thru trial and error and come up with loads for different grain bullets that will have same point of impact. But you aren't going to get that from factory ammo.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7163155 05/07/18 10:15 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Quote:

a .308 and 30-06 are both considered 30 (.308) caliber and the projectile (bullet) is the same diameter. The casing is different between those two calibers and will not interchange between rifles of the different calibers.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Russ79] #7164560 05/09/18 02:38 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
If you shoot a 30-.06, like I do, you can change bullet weights depending on game. For deer I shoot 165 grain bullets, but say you want to hunt elk or maybe Nilgi, you might want to go to 180 grain bullet or heavier. You will have a different point of impact so you will need to resight your gun in. I do reload, or rather used to quite a lot, and learned that you can play with amount of powder and bullet weights, to a certain extent, thru trial and error and come up with loads for different grain bullets that will have same point of impact. But you aren't going to get that from factory ammo.

Thank you Russ79,

What do you mean by " I do reload, or rather used to quite alot and play with the amount of powder"? Does this mean you try different grain of bullets?

Thanks

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 05/09/18 02:46 AM.
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7164842 05/09/18 02:57 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I would probably stay away from an AR for a first/main rifle. Nothing against them but you're probably eventually going to want to hunt big game other than deer whether it be exotics or out of state for Elk, etc. So I'm big on the idea that the first rifle should be a "do it all caliber" that can do pretty much anything you'll ever want to hunt, that could be anything from one of the 6.5mms on up. Those are available in AR's but usually you can get a quality bolt gun a lot cheaper than you can an AR in one of the larger calibers. Also ammo will usually be cheaper for a .270/30-06, etc. if you're not going to reload (saw you're post above and reloading is basically where you make your own cartridges by resizing a previously fired shell case and adding new primers, powder and bullets)

As to practice shooting, practice dry firing your rifle can be an excellent tool. Make real sure its unloaded and then practice aiming and pulling the trigger at some target across the room, a thumbtack in the wall works well. Also get a decent quality pellet rifle and shoot it alot, usually they are quiet enough the neighbors aren't going to complain if you use a pellet trap to catch the pellets and while it isnt' as good as a centerfire or even a rimfire its better than nothing and you'll be able to do it more often.

Also, just get out in the woods and learn about nature, animals and stalking. You're probably within 2 hours of a couple national forests and other public land, get out there on a day off even if you're not hunting and practice moving slowly/quietly from the woods just like you're stalking something and observe what you see (what tracks are where, what can you piece together from the tracks (what's it eating/moving, etc).

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7165317 05/09/18 11:41 PM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I also work at one of the plants..... just keep talking to the guys at work.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: HS2] #7165334 05/10/18 12:09 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: HS2
I also work at one of the plants..... just keep talking to the guys at work.

Yes, I am in a plant as well. These guys Know ALOT ALOT about guns and hunting.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: kk66] #7165344 05/10/18 12:21 AM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: kk66
I would probably stay away from an AR for a first/main rifle. Nothing against them but you're probably eventually going to want to hunt big game other than deer whether it be exotics or out of state for Elk, etc. So I'm big on the idea that the first rifle should be a "do it all caliber" that can do pretty much anything you'll ever want to hunt, that could be anything from one of the 6.5mms on up. Those are available in AR's but usually you can get a quality bolt gun a lot cheaper than you can an AR in one of the larger calibers. Also ammo will usually be cheaper for a .270/30-06, etc. if you're not going to reload (saw you're post above and reloading is basically where you make your own cartridges by resizing a previously fired shell case and adding new primers, powder and bullets)

As to practice shooting, practice dry firing your rifle can be an excellent tool. Make real sure its unloaded and then practice aiming and pulling the trigger at some target across the room, a thumbtack in the wall works well. Also get a decent quality pellet rifle and shoot it alot, usually they are quiet enough the neighbors aren't going to complain if you use a pellet trap to catch the pellets and while it isnt' as good as a centerfire or even a rimfire its better than nothing and you'll be able to do it more often.

Also, just get out in the woods and learn about nature, animals and stalking. You're probably within 2 hours of a couple national forests and other public land, get out there on a day off even if you're not hunting and practice moving slowly/quietly from the woods just like you're stalking something and observe what you see (what tracks are where, what can you piece together from the tracks (what's it eating/moving, etc).

Thank you kk66 ,

Excellent advice regarding going out to the local forest and observing. I enjoy the outsides anyway and walking. My AR will only be used for hog hunting, I will not be using that for hunting deer.

Few questions:
Would you consider a 243 or 270 a "do it all caliber"?

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7165741 05/10/18 02:27 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
A .243 will be a little light as a do all caliber. A .270 is fine but you will find a wider range of bullet weight ammo if you go with .308 or 30-.06 for different sized game. Many use a 7mm Magnum for deer hunting but I was always of the opinion that is a little too much gun for our little old east Texas whitetail.

Re: New To Hunting, Need Some Guidance [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7165744 05/10/18 02:28 PM
R
Russ79 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
R
As with any caliber, shot placement is huge. You can make a bad shot with a big caliber and not be able to recover your game.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide