Print Thread
Good Sprayer for Food Plot #7152542 04/26/18 01:51 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I have yet to find a good sprayer for my food plots. They all seem to have the pump break or tires go flat from the weight of the water. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good sprayer. My food plots are a total of about 5 acres. Can use pull behind type or set it in the back of my UTV

Last edited by Mr. T.; 04/26/18 02:02 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Good Sprayer for Food Plot [Re: Mr. T.] #7152576 04/26/18 02:17 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E

After looking around and seeing what you can buy, and how cheap it was built, or how out of reach expensive they where, I built my own.

It's a 300 gallon tank that had been used for food syrups that cost me $100. Make sure it was used for something in the food industry and not a solvent industry. Smell the inside of the tank before buying it, there is no way to hide the smell of oils or whatever was used in it.

The trailer was also $100 but needed tires and a new hitch. Tires where about $60 each and the hitch was something like $50.

My first pump was just a cheap 12 volt pump that worked great until I bought a hand held sprayer for doing my fence lines. Then I learned that you needed a special type of pump for that type of operation. I'm guessing that I paid $100 for that. The hoses are fuel line hoses with two sprayer nozels at the end of a piece of scrap pipe that gives me about 12 feet of good spray and a little over spray after that, that I cover again in my next pass. That all cost around $20 or so. I ran a some 14 gauge romex from the pump to a cigarette lighter that I put on my tractor, and that came from the factory on my Mule. I pull it with either, depending on what's available. The tractor works better, but I sometimes don't want to take off the mower just to spray.

To get it to flow out the back better, I put some blocks of wood under the front end, and hold it in place with a ratchet strap. I estimate that with the tilt of the tank, that I put 200 gallons in it when I spray. I buy a 2.5 gallon concentrate of a Roundup type weed killer from Atwood's for $50 and dump it all in while filling it with water. Two weeks later, everything is dying nicely, and in a month, it's all dirt where I spray.

So for under $500, I have something that has already lasted me over ten years, and should easily last another ten years or more.

I use it mostly for fence lines and my roads, but also use it twice a year for my food plot to kill everything before disking and planting.

I figured out my speed to spray by trial and error. I want to go fast enough to not waste it, but not so fast that there isn't enough getting on the plants to do anything. This is another area where the tractor is better then the Mule. Low range, third gear works perfectly for me on my tractor.

Hope this helps.

Re: Good Sprayer for Food Plot [Re: EddieWalker] #7152595 04/26/18 02:23 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I wish I had the talent, "skill" to do something like that. It would fit my needs. I'll give it some thought.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Good Sprayer for Food Plot [Re: Mr. T.] #7152679 04/26/18 03:23 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Mr. T., for just a couple times a year application, I would try to get to know my neighbors in the area that probably have 250gal sprayers and work out a coop with them. My Dad and surrounding neighbors do this on equipment (except balers) so they all don't have the same equipment just sitting around. I've got a small 16 gal sprayer that I use on 4 wheeler and BIL has a 25 gal boom sprayer & hand wand that we sit in back of utv. It works well with booms extended getting about 12' width. But I would sure look into building one like EddieWalker. Should be easy to find used trailer, wheels, tires, and tote in E TX.

Re: Good Sprayer for Food Plot [Re: Mr. T.] #7153934 04/28/18 02:38 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The feed store and the coop both rent them here. If I recall it's like $125 for the day. They are nice big ones, 20 ft boom. I do about the same as you (5 acres). It doesn't take long at all to do the job. Just be sure you know what nozzles you have in so you can determine the right speed to get what you need applied.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide