Print Thread
Ruger MK IV experience #7141822 04/16/18 01:21 AM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
My Ruger MK IV Target fell within the serial number range that Ruger declared potentially unsafe and upon which they did a recall. I was a bit nervous, having been through a firearm recall or two during my time, but I must say that the "Ruger Experience" was very positive. They paid for shipping of the frame, both ways; turned the fix around in less than a week; and tossed in an extra magazine for my trouble and to apologize for the fact that I had to do without my favorite 22LR pistol for a few days. (I still had my Mark I, Mark II and Mark III to play with, but they didn't know that!) I'm not happy that they had to recall the piece, but I'm happy with the manner in which they handled the situation and as near as I can tell, it's the only problem they've had with the new pistol. Anyone out there had different/bad experience with Ruger on the MK IV recall? Interestingly enough, before sending it in, I tried to make the pistol fail over 20 times, and could never get the failure they described in the recall. I did, however, take their recommendations seriously and took the piece out of service until such time as it had been retrofitted with the new parts.

Last edited by mikei; 04/16/18 11:39 AM.
Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: mikei] #7142034 04/16/18 12:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Although it took weeks between the time I contacted them concerning the recall and when the box arrived to ship them the frame, my experience was much the same as yours. No question, the Ruger Mark IV Target is as well crafted as any firearm that I own.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: mikei] #7142115 04/16/18 01:55 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
What did they do to the gun?

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: Cast] #7142374 04/16/18 06:36 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Cast

I'm not entirely sure what they did, but it appears to me that they made the safety more "positive." Before the fix, the safety just moved up or down, with no tactile feedback. As a result, the safety would sometimes be caught between SAFE and FIRE positions. Now it feels more positive, so they may have added a detent to it. But they didn't include a description of what work was performed, so I'm just guessing.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/index.php?r=y

Last edited by mikei; 04/16/18 06:38 PM.
Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: Cast] #7146138 04/20/18 01:02 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Cast, I got this note and picture from a gunsmith:

I've had at least 20 Ruger Mark IV pistols cross my bench since the recall was announced. I have received letters from Ruger involving Ruger Mark IV pistols that I ordered and sold to customers. Ruger expects me to contact these folks and get them to send their pistols back for the recall. Some succumb to that request and others, well they feel if Ruger can't get it right the first time, why let someone there just swap a part?

Take this for what it's worth, but here's a before and after picture of what I've seen. The safety plate has two changes. They added an "S" to the round white dot, and the configuration of the hook on the safety plate, that captures the sear, has a sharper angle to it. Depth of the "U" notch remains the same.

Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: mikei] #7146444 04/20/18 06:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: mikei

Cast, I got this note and picture from a gunsmith:

I've had at least 20 Ruger Mark IV pistols cross my bench since the recall was announced. I have received letters from Ruger involving Ruger Mark IV pistols that I ordered and sold to customers. Ruger expects me to contact these folks and get them to send their pistols back for the recall. Some succumb to that request and others, well they feel if Ruger can't get it right the first time, why let someone there just swap a part?

Take this for what it's worth, but here's a before and after picture of what I've seen. The safety plate has two changes. They added an "S" to the round white dot, and the configuration of the hook on the safety plate, that captures the sear, has a sharper angle to it. Depth of the "U" notch remains the same.

Thanks for sharing.

Without going back to read the original letter to Mark IV owners, there was an issue with the safety lever falling into a middle position where there wasn't a clear indication the safety was fully engaged. Based on what you've shared, the added "S" creates an added visual indication, the sharper angle on the hook creates a better indentation between the Fire and Safe settings of the lever. But this is nothing but my own speculation.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: mikei] #7146492 04/20/18 06:50 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I took the MK IV out in the howling wind this morning to see if it would still shoot well, and it sure did. 10 shots at 20 yards, from a rest. The wind was blowing so hard it blew my portable target stand down twice! I finally gave up after only a couple of magazines. I really like this pistol, both its looks and its accuracy. I own one each of all the Marks that Ruger has made, and the IV is my favorite, by a large margin.

Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: mikei] #7146536 04/20/18 07:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I took the MK IV out in the howling wind this morning to see if it would still shoot well, and it sure did. 10 shots at 20 yards, from a rest. The wind was blowing so hard it blew my portable target stand down twice! I finally gave up after only a couple of magazines. I really like this pistol, both its looks and its accuracy. I own one each of all the Marks that Ruger has made, and the IV is my favorite, by a large margin.

That's some fine shootin'! up

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Ruger MK IV experience [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7146560 04/20/18 08:11 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

That's some fine shootin'! up

Thanks; but it's more the shootin' iron than the shootist! In my hands, a hand gun makes a pretty good club. blush

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide