Print Thread
Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? #7138063 04/11/18 04:20 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
I am trying to decide on a bow spot next season for my deer lease. I currently have a great rifle stand location with feeder, and I could easily set up there. It's a good rifle spot near a bedding area with a small creek nestled in a small valley. But the wind swirls really bad there in this valley at my rifle stand. ???

There is an area on the West side near our 40-50 acre lake where I have seen some deer cross in the past. The spot I'm looking at is not far from the West most fence line in some woods. The deer come from across the county road from a very very large ranch with not much hunting pressure. The ground would be more flat, and the wind would be more constant to hunt a wind direction. Access is easy in and easy out by parking near an existing pump jack or oil service location. So, my question is, would you set up a bow stand on an existing rifle location for dual purpose use, or create a new bow only spot in an area that is more of a crossing location for deer?

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7138224 04/11/18 01:52 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
What are we talking here, tree stand, brush blind, pop-up, permanent blind? IMO wind direction isn't as big an issue in a permanent blind.

Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7138286 04/11/18 03:07 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
At the rifle stand do the deer come to the feeder from one location ie mostly using the same trails? If hey do and the wind might be more constant along that trail build a bow blind there and hunt it only when the wind is right.

In the mean time setup a stand for the other location along the trail there for perhaps other wind patterns than the one for the stand near the feeder.

Hunt the stand the wind is best for at the time.

I have one stand on a hill that is rifle stand on the edge of a bedding area that works great for a south wind but not much else. The stand is 70 yards from the feeder but all the deer killed there were on trails that cross within 30 yards of the stand going to or from the feeder4.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: DonPablo] #7138292 04/11/18 03:11 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: DonPablo
What are we talking here, tree stand, brush blind, pop-up, permanent blind? IMO wind direction isn't as big an issue in a permanent blind.

I'd put up a feeder and set up an elevated quad pod or ladder lean-to on a tree. I may build an elevated platform and camo it in for concealment, also. Either way, it would be a permanent set up with feeder and such.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7138294 04/11/18 03:13 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
C
Hey Kevin,

I'm thinking about doing just that. Yes, at my main stand location, the deer come in from one main direction due to the creek channel. It's a good set up and could be bow hunted fairly easily. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7138334 04/11/18 03:55 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Another stand location on the lease that works well is a few years ago a new tank was built with the dma about 50 yards from the property line. The dam is about 125 yards long and has changes the travel patterns In that area to funnel the deer around eah end mostly of the dam. A stand at each end of the dam lets me hunt either side and usually see deer even though I am hundreds of yards from any feeder just on well used travel paths.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: kmon11] #7138647 04/11/18 10:47 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: kmon1
At the rifle stand do the deer come to the feeder from one location ie mostly using the same trails? If hey do and the wind might be more constant along that trail build a bow blind there and hunt it only when the wind is right.

In the mean time setup a stand for the other location along the trail there for perhaps other wind patterns than the one for the stand near the feeder.

Hunt the stand the wind is best for at the time.

I have one stand on a hill that is rifle stand on the edge of a bedding area that works great for a south wind but not much else. The stand is 70 yards from the feeder but all the deer killed there were on trails that cross within 30 yards of the stand going to or from the feeder4.

Good advise here. Wind is the most important factor always when bow hunting. Try to set up stands for different wind directions. I killed my first bow buck on a trail leading to my rifle stand feeder.

Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7158615 05/03/18 01:02 PM
B
Bow hunter 91 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I would personally do both. I normally like to have a stand with a shot at the feeder and another stand back in the woods with a clear shot at the trail. I have killed all my bucks on the trails, and I just harvest meat at the feeder. If I were in your shoes I would look into a new feeder with a permanent blind on the new spot, and go forward with the original stand as well and put up a tree stand on the trail.

It would be helpful to watch for a day in which you know the wind is going to change this spring/summer and go out there and do "experiments". Using wind indicators you should be able to set up a stand that can help you have the best chance of success.

Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7163399 05/08/18 01:54 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes, set up at the feeder,but I would suggest making two bow stands to there to help play wind.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Stand set up- ideal bow spot idea? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7164521 05/09/18 01:51 AM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Funnels are your friend for bowhunting! Sounds like you have some good pinch points identified where try to position the stand inside that pinch where you can have a shooting lane across the pinch. I'd be worried about the swirling wind location, nothing will ruin a bow hunt faster. Id definitely get a stand positioned on that crossing by the fenceline where you have access that won't disrupt deer just find the narrowest spot in those woods.

Look for anything that will push them onto one trail over another. A place I used to hunt in KY was totally wooded but inside was an old barbed wire fence that ran for 200' or so-- they were drawn to it and walk right alongside for whatever reason.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide