Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
annealers? #7137618 04/10/18 05:15 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
what annealers is everyone running. just got my Giraud case trimmer in and thought about picking up their annealer.

cases I reload
7mm-08ai lapua brass
338 lapua lapua brass
300 wm

Last edited by daniel1381; 04/10/18 05:24 PM.

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137631 04/10/18 05:34 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The most common one's will be the AMP annealer, Annealezz, and the Giraurd. If you don't want to spend the dough on those, a $30 propane torch works well also.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: annealers? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7137636 04/10/18 05:43 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The most common one's will be the AMP annealer, Annealezz, and the Giraurd. If you don't want to spend the dough on those, a $30 propane torch works well also.

I agree but I'll add Benchsource as 1 more to Chad's list.

I love my AMP but it's a salty chunk to bite off for a casual shooter.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137640 04/10/18 05:53 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Only complaint about my Giraud, is lack of twin burners. And I just haven't converted it to two. It sure will process lots of brass quickly, but if you don't have the necessity for high volume there are probably great alternatives, that cost less.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: annealers? [Re: ChadTRG42] #7137648 04/10/18 06:06 PM
daniel1381 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker

I would screw my brass up so bad with just a torch..i need a system that would take the dumb out of it. lol

"From my cold dead hands"

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin

Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137649 04/10/18 06:07 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
I've owned and used a Giraud and the AMP annealers. The AMP is the way to go if the budget will handle it.

But buy a Giraud trimmer before anything else. It is by far one of the best expenditures ever for reloading.

Re: annealers? [Re: jeffbird] #7137653 04/10/18 06:16 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
But buy a Giraud trimmer before anything else. It is by far one of the best expenditures ever for reloading.

50 pieces of brass, Forster hand lathe, RCBS Chamfer/Debur tool = 50 minutes.

50 pieces of brass, Giraud Trimmer = 4.5 minutes.

My only regret was not buying it sooner. Worst story I have is 500 pieces of brand nee Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass I had partial FL sized. Trimmed it all in on one Saturday at the fire station. So 250 minutes (4.16 hours)

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137661 04/10/18 06:33 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: daniel1381

I would screw my brass up so bad with just a torch..i need a system that would take the dumb out of it. lol

Looks like you can screw up a few setting up these machines too. In fact a sacrifice or 2 may be required until it's set up and running good. I think you really have to go through a lot of rounds before this purchase makes sense.

Re: annealers? [Re: J.G.] #7137686 04/10/18 07:18 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

My only regret was not buying it sooner.

+ 1 up up

Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137781 04/10/18 09:19 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
My G trimmer is a good purchase but I use my A&D scale w/ auto trickler and AMP annealer a TON more than I do the trimmer.

You don’t need to worry yourselves with screwing up brass and don’t buy into the Templaiq deal. Shut the lights off, put the heat to it and just as the case mouth starts to turn colors pull it out of the flame. That will be just about perfect....you don’t want to turn it red. You can’t see it with lights on but as soon as you turn the lights off you can see the color change to an orange’ish color.

Don’t be scared...I started with a drill with a socket and a torch counting...one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, etc

Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: annealers? [Re: Judd] #7137808 04/10/18 09:56 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: Judd
My G trimmer is a good purchase but I use my A&D scale w/ auto trickler and AMP annealer a TON more than I do the trimmer.

You don’t need to worry yourselves with screwing up brass and don’t buy into the Templaiq deal. Shut the lights off, put the heat to it and just as the case mouth starts to turn colors pull it out of the flame. That will be just about perfect....you don’t want to turn it red. You can’t see it with lights on but as soon as you turn the lights off you can see the color change to an orange’ish color.

Don’t be scared...I started with a drill with a socket and a torch counting...one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, etc

I still use the method you stated with the drill, socket and torch. For several years. I used the pan of water with the neck, shoulder and a little case body sticking out of th water when stood up and a torch to heat the part of the case sticking out. That was described including pictures in my first Speer manual in the early 80s.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137818 04/10/18 10:09 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
Plans and parts lists are all over the internet for one like this.
I have about 75.00 in this one. The drum motor and the feed motor are variable with digital readout and makes it easy to adjust dwell time in the flame. If you write down the settings for each size brass, it is very repeatable.
I use a temp stick smeared on a couple of necks and start fast, then adjust drum speed down for proper dwell time in flame.
Once adjusted, you can turn out a lot of brass pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: annealers? [Re: J.G.] #7137902 04/10/18 11:42 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Worst story I have is 500 pieces of brand nee Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass I had partial FL sized. Trimmed it all in on one Saturday at the fire station. So 250 minutes (4.16 hours)

You only gotta do that ONCE to become a believer in "a better way," huh?

whip

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: annealers? [Re: RiverRider] #7137907 04/10/18 11:46 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Worst story I have is 500 pieces of brand nee Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass I had partial FL sized. Trimmed it all in on one Saturday at the fire station. So 250 minutes (4.16 hours)

You only gotta do that ONCE to become a believer in "a better way," huh?

whip

Yessir. whip

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: annealers? [Re: Judd] #7137911 04/10/18 11:51 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R

So either brass is properly annealed nearly instantly when either a) the case mouths start to turn colors or b) when the brass reaches 750 degrees F.

Which is it?

You do NOT know what the temperature of your brass is in the flame by looking at the color, but you DO know what's going on by properly using Tempilaq. You don't have to use it on every case, though. You may or may not see the same "orange'ish color" when annealing cases of different sizes. Use Tempilaq, and be sure.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: annealers? [Re: RiverRider] #7137931 04/11/18 12:20 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

So either brass is properly annealed nearly instantly when either a) the case mouths start to turn colors or b) when the brass reaches 750 degrees F.

Which is it?

You do NOT know what the temperature of your brass is in the flame by looking at the color, but you DO know what's going on by properly using Tempilaq. You don't have to use it on every case, though. You may or may not see the same "orange'ish color" when annealing cases of different sizes. Use Tempilaq, and be sure.

Both. Same result either way. Various metal reliably discolors at the same temperature as it is heated, just like tempilaq reliably melts at the same temperature. In good light the brass will darken and get a purplish/blue tint and in the dark you will see it start to glow. It is the same principle that is used to temper steel. An example would be making a cold chisel. The steel is heated to a straw color and cooled. Works every time. If you don't have the confidence and decisiveness to trust your eyes use the tempilaq but it is not necessary.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137956 04/11/18 12:59 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Well said Smokey!

Re: annealers? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7137959 04/11/18 01:02 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear

Which is it?

Both. Same result either way. Various metal reliably discolors at the same temperature as it is heated, just like tempilaq reliably melts at the same temperature. In good light the brass will darken and get a purplish/blue tint and in the dark you will see it start to glow. It is the same principle that is used to temper steel. An example would be making a cold chisel. The steel is heated to a straw color and cooled. Works every time. If you don't have the confidence and decisiveness to trust your eyes use the tempilaq but it is not necessary.

I can *just about* agree with that, but I think these descriptions are just a little too vague and subjective. Just how dark does the room have to be, for instance? I always have found myself second guessing these descriptions of color changes also...I have perfect color acuity and I've seen where people call yellow "orange," call orange "red, call red "orange," and so on.

I occasionally anneal brass for other folks, and I set the annealer up using Tempilaq EVERY time. I do the same for myself.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137965 04/11/18 01:14 AM
O
Olshovel Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
The more I read in this reloading forum the more I think I might be getting into reloading instead of into shooting more! I never even knew I might need an annealer before a couple of weeks ago!

Re: annealers? [Re: RiverRider] #7137966 04/11/18 01:17 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear

Which is it?

I can *just about* agree with that, but I think these descriptions are just a little too vague and subjective. Just how dark does the room have to be, for instance? I always have found myself second guessing these descriptions of color changes also...I have perfect color acuity and I've seen where people call yellow "orange," call orange "red, call red "orange," and so on.

I occasionally anneal brass for other folks, and I set the annealer up using Tempilaq EVERY time. I do the same for myself.

Analysis paralysis..... You need the Tempilaq!

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: annealers? [Re: Olshovel] #7137970 04/11/18 01:25 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Olshovel
The more I read in this reloading forum the more I think I might be getting into reloading instead of into shooting more! I never even knew I might need an annealer before a couple of weeks ago!
I never even heard of an annealer before these degenerates got me into shooting and reloading.

Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137973 04/11/18 01:28 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
LOL. Maybe it's just all the jet fuel in my blood.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7137975 04/11/18 01:30 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Are their companies set up to do this with high end/better devices?

This just seems to be something that would be easy to outsource unless you do a really high volume of rifle shooting

Re: annealers? [Re: Cleric] #7138444 04/11/18 06:37 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Cleric
Are their companies set up to do this with high end/better devices?

This just seems to be something that would be easy to outsource unless you do a really high volume of rifle shooting

Don't know if there is something more high end than the AMP but yes there are people who process brass for money.

Re: annealers? [Re: daniel1381] #7139881 04/13/18 11:15 AM
J
JCCinOhio Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Google 'Skips annealer'.. you don't really need the 2nd wheel that feeds the ammo.. you can do it by hand. Really shouldn't leave it anyway, so if you're sitting there you might as well hand feed. Saves on money and mechanics.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide