Originally Posted By: postoak
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
Read the instructions with the die set. Put the shell holder in the press. Raise the ram to the highest point just before the press cams over. Screw the die down till it touches the shellholder. Tighten the lock ring. That is setting up for full length size per Hornady instructions. Measure before and after. Screw the die further in to bump the shoulder further. Back it out to not bump the shoulder as far.

My advice to gain a better understanding is sacrifice a piece of brass to learn. Set the die up as described to full length size, then back it out two full turns. Ink the shoulder on a case with a sharpie. Run it through the die. A portion of the neck will be sized. The shoulder will be untouched. With your head space comparator measure the shoulder. Screw it in a quarter turn more then re-ink and resize. Measure what you get. The ink will tell you when the shoulder of the case makes contact with the die. Keep repeating till you end up with the measurement you are looking for. The neck on your case will be way over worked and should either be discarded or annealed but at the end of the excercise you should have an understanding of what is happening and how to set up your die.

That is not what he should be doing. He needs to go past the point the shell holder and die contact each other. No lock ring tightening until he has gotten the amount of shoulder set back he wants.

Post Oak, I probably did a poor job explaining but I was trying to let the OP see that without screwing the die down far enough he won't even size the whole neck. As he continues to screw it down he would see where the shoulder contacts the die. As he continued to screw it down to bump the shoulder where he wants it he would have to go beyond the point of the press camming over. My thought was, he would then fully understand how to set up his die and understand why the shoulder on his case is not currently being sized like he wants.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.