Forum Stats
64181 Members
45 Forums
415910 Topics
6046503 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7131522 - 04/03/18 02:44 PM FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder?
huck18 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas
I'm new to reloading (have only reloaded a few hundred rounds of plinking ammo for an AR). I'm using a Hornady single stage press and Hornady custom full length dies.

I'm in the process of trying to find a load for my 6.5 creedmoor (143 ELD-X and once fired Hornady brass). My issue is after I did a full length resize of my once fired brass the shoulder did not bump back at all. Using a Hornady head space gauge the brass measures the same length after resizing as it did before the resizing. This is with the die all the way down flush with the shell holder and slightly backed off a half turn as well. Is this normal? Does it take more than one use for the brass to grow enough to need to bump the shoulder? The resized brass seems to chamber and eject with no issues. Also do I need to trim the brass after one use or can I get a few uses before trimming?

I've read that you want to bump the shoulder back 0.002, but with my die this seems impossible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#7131533 - 04/03/18 02:53 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Probably error in die set up.

You should put shell holder in ram and raise to the highest point, then screw die in till contacts shell houlder, then lower ram and screw the die in just a little more then set lock ring. If you screwed it in till it touched the shell houlder then backed the die out a little you are not full length sizing.

#7131549 - 04/03/18 03:04 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: redchevy]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Originally Posted By: redchevy

You should put shell holder in ram and raise to the highest point, then screw die in till contacts shell houlder, then lower ram and screw the die in just a little more then set lock ring. If you screwed it in till it touched the shell houlder then backed the die out a little you are not full length sizing.

Yup, what he said

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#7131554 - 04/03/18 03:09 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
wp75169 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
Most books will offer information on max/min lengths which can be used as a guideline for when to trim.

Some trim every firing, I seldom trim.

#7131556 - 04/03/18 03:11 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
Bar-D Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: The Lone Star State
When properly adjusted, you should feel the ram "cam over" against the die.

#7131575 - 04/03/18 03:36 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: redchevy]
huck18 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas

I have tried it all three ways.

Ram to the highest point with die flush.
Ram to the highest point with die backed off half a turn.
Ram to the highest point with die screwed down a half turn.

All three produced the same results.

#7131613 - 04/03/18 04:14 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

The way you should do it is with the ram at highest point and shell holder in screw the die in till it touches then lower the ram and screw the die in a little more, think a 1/8 or so.

If that still doesn't do anything I would call Hornady and inquire about setup/possible error in the die and/or have you rifle checked for headspace.

#7131619 - 04/03/18 04:23 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Make sure you read their directions and follow them.

I have had a couple rifles that you could just neck size and shoot as the spent casing chambered without any difficulty and did the same after reloading them, tight chambers behave differently than one that lets the case expand amore.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._PO#Post6605808

#7131644 - 04/03/18 05:07 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Wylie, TX
Iíve also had dies where Iíve had to either have the shell holder shaved or the bottom of the die. It isnít normal but it does happen.

#7131688 - 04/03/18 05:50 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
Sigmund Offline
Outdoorsman

I had this problem when using the hornady dies with an RCBS shell holder. Got a hornady shell holder and I could get it to bump the shoulder just before the ram would cam over.

#7131701 - 04/03/18 06:06 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
Have you tried screwing the die all the way down to the raised shell holder, lowering the ram and then turning the die down an additional turn?

What you said at the beginning about screwing the die all the way down to the shell holder and then backed off a half turn is all wrong.

If what I said to do doesn't get you some set back then you may have an undersized chamber or you need to switch shell holders like Sigmund said.

#7131720 - 04/03/18 06:35 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
Smokey Bear Online   content
Tracker

Read the instructions with the die set. Put the shell holder in the press. Raise the ram to the highest point just before the press cams over. Screw the die down till it touches the shellholder. Tighten the lock ring. That is setting up for full length size per Hornady instructions. Measure before and after. Screw the die further in to bump the shoulder further. Back it out to not bump the shoulder as far.

My advice to gain a better understanding is sacrifice a piece of brass to learn. Set the die up as described to full length size, then back it out two full turns. Ink the shoulder on a case with a sharpie. Run it through the die. A portion of the neck will be sized. The shoulder will be untouched. With your head space comparator measure the shoulder. Screw it in a quarter turn more then re-ink and resize. Measure what you get. The ink will tell you when the shoulder of the case makes contact with the die. Keep repeating till you end up with the measurement you are looking for. The neck on your case will be way over worked and should either be discarded or annealed but at the end of the excercise you should have an understanding of what is happening and how to set up your die.

Edited by Smokey Bear (04/03/18 06:37 PM)

#7131809 - 04/03/18 07:47 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: huck18

I have tried it all three ways.

Ram to the highest point with die flush.
Ram to the highest point with die backed off half a turn.
Ram to the highest point with die screwed down a half turn.

All three produced the same results.

So you have felt cam-over? This requires a significant amount of force, and this action is why loading benches have to be By-Gawd strong. It is a bit violent on some cases.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#7131818 - 04/03/18 07:54 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Cam over or not, the die MUST make hard contact with the shell holder to get a FL size. You NEVER back the die out half a turn after making contact with the shell holder. You go down further, or until you have a proper position with the ram making contact with the shell holder.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7131867 - 04/03/18 08:41 PM Re: FL resize doesnt bump the shoulder? [Re: huck18]
Sigmund Offline
Outdoorsman

I had to wait until I got home to check this, because I couldnít remember earlier...

I also have the hornady ďcustom gradeĒ dies.

What headspace bushing are you using? Seems like this could be an issue if you were using one to big?

I believe it should be the 0.400Ē for the 6.5 creedmoor.
http://www.saami.org/PubResources/_CC_Drawings/Rifle/6_5%20Creedmoor.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide