6200154 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7130406 - 04/02/18 01:55 PM Impact hog trap has on population
JonPace Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Coleman County
My father and I are under contract for a piece of property in North East Coleman County (yay). I love hog hunting and when I was flying my drone around the property before we made the decision... I noticed the neighbors had a hog trap. I was slightly disappointed as the last lease we were on had hogs but after extensive trapping... the population dropped significantly. Literally went from seeing hogs nearly each trip in 2015 to seeing a few in 2016 and then to seeing none at all of 2017.

Any idea how much of an impact a single trap has on the local hog population? It's in an adjacent 50 acres to our 173 acre property. I saw fresh signs of rooting so I know they are there. Slightly worried history will repeat itself and I won't be able to bring home the bacon!

#7130427 - 04/02/18 02:15 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
jrfan Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Denton, Texas
My neighbor is trapping 100+ a week. I can't tell a difference.

#7130520 - 04/02/18 03:41 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
colt.45 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: wondering about the woods

Bigger the trap the better. Hogs get educated this type allows more hogs caught, hog pannaling push (light spring loaded) gate. Put feeder in pen, with flight tin on back side of spinner so corn stays inside pen. Bigger the better. Best wishes.
flag

i'm postaddic

#7130568 - 04/02/18 04:33 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Fairfax, VA
If they are properly using a large pen trap and taking whole sounders out then yes you will see a drop in hogs.

If they aren't taking the whole sounder out they are just educating some of the hogs, you might see a temporary drop in numbers but they will bounce back quickly.
-- Confucius

#7130668 - 04/02/18 06:13 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: VAFish]
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
Originally Posted By: VAFish
If they are properly using a large pen trap and taking whole sounders out then yes you will see a drop in hogs.

If they aren't taking the whole sounder out they are just educating some of the hogs, you might see a temporary drop in numbers but they will bounce back quickly.

Plus ours are nomadic....they will be around for a few weeks then disappear for a couple months.....

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#7130727 - 04/02/18 06:55 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
JonPace Offline
Outdoorsman

Good info! Based on the size of the trap - I wouldn't think they are taking whole sounders. I flew my drone as close as I could to take a pic - this is what it looks like -

#7130774 - 04/02/18 07:41 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Woodsman

Loc: San Antonio
Inside of the trap looks the same as the outside of the trap, would make me think it isn't being used much if at all.
I see these kinds of traps built and used when the hogs are heavy and someone gets excited but rarely are they kept active in my experience.

#7130797 - 04/02/18 08:02 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
flintknapper Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Deep East Texas
Much depends on the terrain and what 'features' are attracting the hogs to begin with.

The relatively small acreage you are talking about (anything under 250 acres) is not likely to harbor 'local/resident' hogs for very long anyway.

BUT....if certain features exist on your property (good cover, food sources, year 'round water, little hunting pressure) you will likely have hogs readily 'replacing' any that are trapped.

^^^^^
This is the situation with my property. No matter how many I take off of it, I will always have hogs. It is not only a preferred travel route for hogs, but it is attractive to them for the reasons I listed above.

Your 'Drone' is a good tool to use to take a quick look around, but I'd pull up Google-Earth and look at the bigger picture. Often times...you can see 'choke points' or other terrain features that might help with making decisions about where to hunt/trap or IF to hunt/trap.

#7130823 - 04/02/18 08:25 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

One key factor to hogs is water...tank/pond or creeks. They will move to surface water. If that place or your place has the only water in dry times you will have more hogs. That one factor can make it easier to trap them. That is the way my place is here with limited surface water and even more so in drier times. I can trap them down to them not showing up or any sign for months till it rains. Runoff in creeks or into ponds lets them move back in. Like posted above they will also move to food sources.

#7131070 - 04/03/18 07:41 AM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
winner Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I don't think it is wise of you to be flying your drone over others property. not everyone is accepting as you may be.

Edited by winner (04/03/18 07:43 AM)

#7131182 - 04/03/18 09:17 AM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
JonPace Offline
Outdoorsman

Thanks for the responses.

I do have 4 tanks on the property and a creek running through it - the neighboring property doesn't have any water sources. Good points RattlesnakeDan, stxranchman, and flintknapper. I'm sure the water sources are the reason why there are signs on my property.

winner - I certainly agree. I don't normally fly my drone that close over other peoples properties... but when looking at the property and considering spending $$$$$$ for it... I figured it'd be worth the risk to see what's next door. Without the drone recon, I wouldn't have noticed they have a feeder 50 yards from my fence line with the line of fire going directly into my property... right where I planned on parking an RV. Oof. Based on their stand location, I'm nearly guaranteed that a bullet passing through a deer will end up on my property. Would've been dangerous to park my RV where I planned until that's sorted. That's for another discussion though smile

#7132349 - 04/04/18 12:16 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
Wytex Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Wyoming
Park that RV right there and they will move that stand, unless they want a visit from a GW about the danger associated with their stand orientation and bullets going onto your property.
If not the RV then some sort of shed or camping spot setup.
That trap may just push the hogs onto you . If you have the water, you'll have the hogs and the deer. Sounds like a nice spot if the neighbors don't prove to be an issue.
Food plots sound like a great idea.

#7132388 - 04/04/18 12:48 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
JonPace Offline
Outdoorsman

Thanks Wytex. I spoke with the owners of the property - turned out to be an extremely nice elderly couple who live in New Mexico and are only holding onto the land as an investment.

They are allowing a nearby neighbor to lease the adjacent property to hunters. Called the number they provided for the person arranging the lease... turned out to be an angry teenager who told said to never call again. Not sure what's going on there.

Already looking into food plots. Never planted one, but on my previous lease - the rancher did and the results were amazing.

#7132504 - 04/04/18 02:47 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
Erich Offline
Tracker

Loc: Cibolo, TX
they can only trap on their property. not on yours any maybe not on the properties around them. extensive well run trapping can definitely knock out some hog numbers but i would think there are not many trapping programs like that going on in the state otherwise you'd be seeing statewide drop in hog population. they can't get them all. as long as you yourself are also not shooting/trapping them with total elimination in mind you are going to have pigs. put up some feeders and enough of them will stay close to you that it won't matter too much what the neighbor is doing. probably just about anywhere there is hogs there are also at least a couple somebodies trapping them. i would not see it as an issue.

#7132532 - 04/04/18 03:08 PM Re: Impact hog trap has on population [Re: JonPace]
JonPace Offline
Outdoorsman

Good info Erich. Thanks for the response. There was an extensive trapping operation on my last deer lease - couldn't believe how quickly the numbers dropped in 2 years. This particular hog trap doesn't seem too sophisticated.

Certainly don't want to fully eliminate them - though I'm sure the local farmers would be happy! Planned on keeping enough around to have a constant supply of bacon and for the younger ones on my wife's side of the family to be introduced to hunting.

I used to be baffled on why some deer leases I'd find online would only let hunters shoot 1 hog per year. I can see why now... it gives an excuse to come out during the off season to enjoy nature and have a shot at filling the freezer. Despite the nuisance - they are fun to hunt and good to eat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide