6046521 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7125075 - 03/27/18 05:57 PM with or w/o safety
garyrapp55 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ft. Worth
I was killing time again looking at gun parts and am now curious. I see triggers w and w/o. Who uses what and why?

#7125082 - 03/27/18 06:01 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Wylie, TX
w/o safety is a comp trigger or a guy who doesn't close the bolt and keeps it open until it's time to go hot.

Too each their own.

#7125093 - 03/27/18 06:07 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

I accidentally bought one with a bolt release , make sure you get a model without one if your action comes with

#7125101 - 03/27/18 06:13 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55]
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Wise Co.
You can get a Timney for a 98 Mauser action with or without safety. The bolt shroud can be had in something more or less original configuration, converted to a Model 70 2-position type, or replaced with a custom shroud with a full 3-position safety. Or you may be wanting a trigger for an Interarms Mark X or a Remington 798, in which case you might want top go with the safety integrated into the trigger.

I'm here to give and receive knowledge, not affirmation or adoration. If you don't like it, mierda dura. Intellectual honesty is not for fragile egos.

#7125146 - 03/27/18 06:55 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Brother in-law]
Lazyman Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Hamilton
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I accidentally bought one with a bolt release , make sure you get a model without one if your action comes with

Hmmmm...I may have a Jewell for sale shortly...Didn't think about that..

#7125148 - 03/27/18 06:56 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: Judd
w/o safety is a comp trigger or a guy who doesn't close the bolt and keeps it open until it's time to go hot.

To each their own.

This.

For many of my rifles, I could get by with no safety, as I leave the bolts open 99.9% of the time, and the selector on fire.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#7125187 - 03/27/18 07:23 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX

Too each their own.

Honestly, this is me. I don't use a safety at all. When I am in the deer stand the rifle is chambered and hot, safety off. The rifle goes from a safe position to out the window and ready to shoot. When I get ready to leave the deer stand, the round is un-chambered and goes back down into the magazine and the bolt is closed on an empty chamber. The rifle is "safe" and ready with a quick cycle of the bolt. This is how I operate my rifles most of the time.

When general shooting, the rifle is unloaded until time to shoot. When I am ready a round is chambered and ready to shoot. Same for comps.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7125217 - 03/27/18 07:49 PM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Brother in-law]
bphillips Offline
Tracker

Loc: San Angelo

Is it not removable?

#7125504 - 03/28/18 07:28 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Judd]
garyrapp55 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Ft. Worth

Too each their own.

That's what I thought. I too could get by without the safety as the bolt is only closed when ready to fire. A trigger with safety can be treated like one without by leaving it in fire all the time. So, does the safety cause an issue for competition guys? Why not have the option at all?

#7125517 - 03/28/18 07:37 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: bphillips]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: bphillips

Is it not removable?

Yes I just have to get in them and do it

#7125545 - 03/28/18 07:49 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: ChadTRG42]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Too each their own.

Honestly, this is me. I don't use a safety at all. When I am in the deer stand the rifle is chambered and hot, safety off. The rifle goes from a safe position to out the window and ready to shoot. When I get ready to leave the deer stand, the round is un-chambered and goes back down into the magazine and the bolt is closed on an empty chamber. The rifle is "safe" and ready with a quick cycle of the bolt. This is how I operate my rifles most of the time.

When general shooting, the rifle is unloaded until time to shoot. When I am ready a round is chambered and ready to shoot. Same for comps.

That is simply not a good practice. Having a loaded and ready to fire rifle in that is not under your complete control violates the most basic rules of firearms safety. You should at the very least have the bolt open.

#7125560 - 03/28/18 08:03 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
wp75169 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Too each their own.

That is simply not a good practice. Having a loaded and ready to fire rifle in that is not under your complete control violates the most basic rules of firearms safety. You should at the very least have the bolt open.

Seriously, I donít think he came across as advocating that behavior he was simply stating what he does in a deer stand alone. Many many people hunt with their weapon ready to fire. I do not. He also stated when not hunting his rifle is otherwise unloaded until heís ready to shoot.

#7125574 - 03/28/18 08:15 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Safety.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#7125593 - 03/28/18 08:41 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Too each their own.

What? Having a safe weapon all the time with no round in the chamber? Or having a hot weapon when I'm hunting by myself with the rifle at my ready? And the weapon is under my complete control the entire time. When needed to go safe, the bolt is lifted very quickly. I don't mess with the safety, especially since there have been documented cases of weapons firing when the safety is engaged, which has happened to me. I think my practice of weapon handling "when hunting" by myself is a very safe practice.

Oh, and I had to click on your post to see it, since you are one of my ignored users. And sure enough, I should have just let it go.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7125606 - 03/28/18 08:49 AM Re: with or w/o safety [Re: garyrapp55]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Wylie, TX
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Too each their own.

That's what I thought. I too could get by without the safety as the bolt is only closed when ready to fire. A trigger with safety can be treated like one without by leaving it in fire all the time. So, does the safety cause an issue for competition guys? Why not have the option at all?

I wouldn't say it creates and issue but if you play timed games and some how some way your safety is turned on...it will cost you time and potentially points because you weren't being able to get off as many rounds.

It's not cosmetically pleasing to have a safety stem up next to a beautifully polished action either grin You know, doesn't matter if you win or lose you have to look good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide