Forum Stats
63674 Members
45 Forums
452914 Topics
6258950 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7124342 - 03/27/18 07:23 AM Seeding Marathon!
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cuero
On Sunday evening I finished an 8-day blitz of planting 10 acres in native grasses and 6 acres of food plots. I've been wondering if I would get it done or not as I've been running my wife and dad to doctor appoints for weeks (nothing local), but on the 17th I was told that I didn't need to drive anywhere until the 27th. I checked the weather, and it looked like there would be no rain until the 27th, but a very good chance after that, so I got busy.

The area to be planted in native grasses is my extended yard, from the highway up to and around the houses. Douglass King Seeds had suggested that I turn the soil back in October and plant a cover crop of oats that could be folded back into the ground as when I planted the natives. I think I posted a topic about this work. This area had been nothing but bahia, I was tired of mowing it and wanted something that tied into my work with The Nature Conservancy on the rest of my place. A bit of an intricate project, at least when dragging something in the ground, as I have water and electricity buried everywhere! Back when I had the work done, I specified a minimum of 24" below the surface, but I've had two contractors since, left unsupervised, did less, and that has led to some problems. Anyway, the native project is everything inside the white outlines.

The oats that came up were about 2' tall; I mowed them earlier this month.

I made a run up to Douglass King Seeds in SA, and picked up the seed mix, and used the LandPride seeder to put it in the ground. Before the seeding, I ran the Dirt Dog chisel plow through the stubble, then fertilized with 18-48-0 at 150/acre.

With the completion of that work, I moved right into the food plots. I had both Pogue's Spring Buck Buffet and WI's PowerPlant, similar products, so I blended them; 40 lbs of the Buck Buffet to 50% of PowerPlant. The mix would work out as follows.

Some of my senderos serve as fire breaks, so I take them to earth at the first of every year. These just needed the fertilizer and seed.

This plot had WI's Pure Attraction in it that was playing out, so I just mowed, fertilized and no-tilled the seed into the ground.

Plenty of goodies going back into the soil!

Total tractor time in the last eight days was 40 hours even. 19 hours with the native grasses and 21 with the food plots! I was tuckered out Monday but needed to clean both seeder and tractor.

This forum has been slow so I thought I would give you something to read. Now, I'm taking my dad to the VA Clinics up in AUS.

#7124352 - 03/27/18 07:30 AM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
nice work

#7124409 - 03/27/18 08:16 AM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
Mr. T. Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hunt in Cass County, live in T...
Very nice work

#7124532 - 03/27/18 10:21 AM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Thanks, as I was leaving the ranch for Austin it had started to rain!

#7124742 - 03/27/18 12:55 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
PMK Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
up well done

~PMK~

#7124904 - 03/27/18 02:47 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Thanks, as I was leaving the ranch for Austin it had started to rain!
sounds like you timed it perfectly

#7124918 - 03/27/18 02:57 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
I wish I had that drop seeder. I had an old 50ís model brillion and sold it and still regret 18 years later

#7124919 - 03/27/18 02:57 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
George - w/ Map My Ranch Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
I love seeing your progress and projects! Well done, sir!

As you may recall from our thread responses, we've been doing a lot of returns to native grasses and forbs at our place as well. Got 23 acres done last year. Working on creating firebreaks for the next step - controlled burns. My question is what are you using to create such nice firebreaks? Looks awesome! I know once you create them, maintenance shouldn't be as difficult...but for the preliminary work are you disking and then dragging/rolling? What's your go to for getting optimal breaks?

"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB

#7124921 - 03/27/18 02:58 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: BOBO the Clown]
George - w/ Map My Ranch Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I wish I had that drop seeder. I had an old 50ís model brillion and sold it and still regret 18 years later

We have an older (probably 50's) JD Brillion that has been sitting for years that I'm looking to get back to working order this year. Can't wait! They are nice. Hoping ours hasn't sat too long

Edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch (03/27/18 02:59 PM)

"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB

#7124958 - 03/27/18 03:43 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
Stub Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
How do you like the WI Pure Attraction? Also I thought about trying Power Plant for this spring, have you tried it?

#7124960 - 03/27/18 03:48 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
crumrw Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Garland, TX
Nice project! I'm working on a native grass project with the NRCS this week. Luckily, I am able to borrow a no-till drill from TPWD to drill in the seed. 10 acres of switch grass, indian grass, side oats gramma, big blue, little blue, maximillian sunflower and sprangletop.

#7125012 - 03/27/18 04:30 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Thank you, guys, for you comments!

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
My question is what are you using to create such nice firebreaks? Looks awesome! I know once you create them, maintenance shouldn't be as difficult...but for the preliminary work are you disking and then dragging/rolling? What's your go to for getting optimal breaks?

I started the breaks 13 years ago with a moldboard plow. Since then I disk them every year starting in late December as soil conditions permit. I pull a disk with a tooth harrow. I don't mind forbs/weeds coming up, but if grass appears, they get disced again. Honestly, they don't grow much of anything anymore unless I put it in the soil.

Even though some of the firebreaks are property fences, I going to start planting them in the Spring as food plots. As they play out at the end of the summer, I will reduce them to dirt to avoid fenceline hunters.

My next project is to plant the strip next to the fencelines in native grasses in late August and let them go in order to provide a barrier to the view into my place. The Natives can get up to 3' tall.

Oh, good luck on the Brillion rebuild!

Originally Posted By: Stub
How do you like the WI Pure Attraction? Also, I thought about trying Power Plant for this spring, have you tried it?

I've been using PowerPlant for 13 years, yes I like it. I've always had a good crop with it, but I also follow the fertilizer requirements. I used Pogue's Spring Buck Buffet while in Karnes County, about 30 miles west of me, and it did well. I've tried it a number of times here in DeWitt County, but I've had mixed results. I would say, mediocre to poor. I've followed Pogue's recommendation of not fertilizing but this year will be different as it received the same fertilizer the PowerPlant has. I like the sunn hemp in PowerPlant, excellent cover for quail and fawns plus its food & protein value. On the flipside, I like the LabLab in the Pogue offering. If I get a good crop this year from the Pogue with fertilizer I will probably start using it as it is local, a 30-minute drive, and $1.90/lb vs. the PowerPlant at $2.30/lb.

#7125128 - 03/27/18 06:44 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
Wilhunt Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
You have done very well sir.

#7125231 - 03/27/18 08:00 PM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Ranch Dog]
Texas buckeye Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Keller
Sweet. My soil temps have not reached warm enough to get the power plant in the ground yet, and it will be a bit before I can now as the plots will be mud pits now with all the rain they have received. But that will also give me a chance to spray them good before playing.

I did get two plots planted, one with extreme and one with chic magnet, really anxious to se how well they come up. Caged those so I will be able to see browse vs failure of plots.

So does your no till seeder handle soybeans well? Is that a extra box that needs to be ordered or is it part of the standard set up. Would really like to get to no till farming, but really want the ability to do soy beans, specifically power plant if it comes in good this year...

#7125440 - 03/28/18 06:21 AM Re: Seeding Marathon! [Re: Texas buckeye]
Ranch Dog Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
So does your no till seeder handle soybeans well? Is that a extra box that needs to be ordered or is it part of the standard set up. Would really like to get to no till farming, but really want the ability to do soy beans, specifically power plant if it comes in good this year...

Both of the food plot mixes I used had soybeans in them, seeds went out without issue.

Above shows the three boxes on the NTS2507. The Grass Seedbox, in the middle, has three setups; a high and low range that is easy to switch back and forth to accommodate grass seeds rates (not native grass seeds), and then a "low range reduction" that takes a sprocket change. Changing that sprocket takes about 30 minutes, but with that, the box becomes a "large seed box." The Small Seed Box on the Front handles just that. Being a food plot guy, I had my dealer set up the grass seedbox with the low range reduction gear and haven't changed it. As a note, all the seedboxes have lockouts or all can be used at the same time. For example, both large & small food plot seeds can be put out at the same time and at different seeding rates as each seedbox has there own rate controllers. The small seed box is split and can be used to put out different seeds on each side but they would need to flow at a similar rate.

If you are not going to do native grasses, this seeder would probably not be for you, as there are other models that don't have the native seedbox.

This is also a seeder, not a drill. A seeder just drops the seed where a drill uses disc openers to get the seed to a specific depth. I have owned two drills and wanted to get away from all the parts. Also, drills tend to be better suited for the larger seeds and seeders the small seeds and seed size mixes. Seeders are somewhat limited in seed depth, but appropriate for food plot seeding. Depth can be controlled a bit through the angle of the front spiked rollers. Increasing the agitation to increase seed depth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide