Forums46
Topics537,803
Posts9,729,329
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Air rifles legal in Texas for big game [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7124912 03/27/18 07:49 PM
S
shumpertdavid Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Here's my Evanix Sniper, it's a 9mm/.357 caliber. It has a 7 shot rotary magazine and uses a side mounted charging handle, but you're only going to get 3 or 4 shots max before the air pressure and fps drop off. It's easy to fill with an air tank, but you wouldn't want to be lugging that stuff around and it's about a 5 minute process to use a high pressure air pump to get from 2000 back to 3000 psi. I run a Wolf Airguns Suppressor from the UK (shown in second photo with my buddy shooting). The first photo is with a barrel shroud and suppressor for the Evanix Bullpup. It's quieter with it, but not nearly as quiet as the Wolf. It's not whisper quiet with it on, but it easily reduces sound by over 50%. I have no intentions of hunting with it, and had it not been given to me with some repairs needed then I wouldn't own one.

That all said, it's fun to shoot and pretty crazy when you think about how fast a large pellet can fly.

I shot a 50 cal air rifle a couple weeks ago and it's pretty gnarly. It was the Airforce Texan. It had some pretty solid penetration with the 260 and 3xx grain pellets. The air tank is pretty small and drops about 500 psi per shot though so it really needs a recharge at each shot.

Last edited by shumpertdavid; 03/27/18 07:51 PM.
Re: Air rifles legal in Texas for big game [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7125031 03/27/18 10:06 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Lewis & Clark carried an air rifle to hunt deer sized game.

To be determined
Re: Air rifles legal in Texas for big game [Re: txtrophy85] #7125343 03/28/18 03:38 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
I’ve posted several videos of my .257 AirForce Condor. I rule of thumb is 1 fpe per pound of body weight. My gun shoots a 80gr Hollow Point at 1025 fps which produces around 170 fpe. The gun has a shrouded barrel and is about as loud as a .22 shooting CB’s. I’ve killed 4 pigs under my feeder before the rest figured out they were dying. I have video of a 150+ pound pig I killed with a heart shot from 130 yards.
Not to bad for a B.B. gun.

So about the same energy as a .22 mag I’m guessing

It's more complicated than that. More like a HV .22 long. It's also about retained energy and accuracy. My rifle will blow a hole through a 2x4 at 128 Yards. What I like is I can often times put a second shot through the same hole. And don't forget I may get 3 or 4 shots off before what ever I'm shooting alerts.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Air rifles legal in Texas for big game [Re: jeh7mmmag] #7125350 03/28/18 03:49 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Instead of bumping an old thread here is a post I made about a December hunt of mine. The video is horribly done as I have been told and doesn't have any voice over but if you will watch until the end you will see a really big hog I shot from 128 yards with my .257 air rifle. I might add that in the video I'm fooling around trying to focus the camera, knocking stuff off the shelf and bumbling around for the first minute or so, then once the camera is focused you can see the barb wire is right in the wrong place, so I fumble around trying to get a shot free of the wire.

12/18/17 Post
My hunting lease has seen a 10x increase in the number of hogs since the drought ended. As such it was not uncommon for the blasted pigs to show up just before prime time or spook off deer in the middle of a hunt. So a couple years ago I started fooling around with airguns to run these pest off without ruining the hunt. I first had a highly modified Crosman CO2 gun that was not reliable due to all the modifications. I found a local Texas Company in my hometown that was making these really powerful and accurate air rifles call AirForce Condors. I bought one of their Condor models in .25 caliber and began reading up on how to make the gun more accurate, more powerful and less noisy. So I settled on a different barrel (.257)with an added noise shroud, a ultra high pressure tank (3650 psi) and a different valve and hammer to make it all work. This is what all that looks like: [Linked Image]
Now that I introduced the gun I will get back on subject. The nice thing about air is you can tune the rifle to produce the FPS you desire, in my case that would be 1050fps. Knowing my barrel is a 1:16 Twist, stability is optimized at this speed with a bullet of 80gr and .625" long. Here is a bullet i pulled from a hog last weekend that was shot at 128 yards, it is a 80gr NOE Ranch Dog hollow point:
[Linked Image]
The bullet was sticking out the far side shoulder backwards!
They say the proof is in the pudding so here it is. I got to the lease and went out Friday morning to deer hunt but I always take the Condor just in case Miss Piggy wants to party. At 9am the pigs show like clockwork and I was able to get 2 shots off before they decided they were dying and left. Neither pig went more than 20 yards and they were shot at 117 and 128 yards:
[Linked Image]
The bullet above came from one of these pigs. Friday evening I go back to the blind. At 4:30 a group of young pigs come to the feeder and are spooked by the feeder going off. Over the next 30 minutes I shoot two hogs with my air rifle and see several deer at the feeder but nothing on my hit list. I recovered one of the hogs Friday night and found the other later about 50 yards from the feeder:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What's cool is I got this hunt on video. These two pigs were also shot at 117 yards (under feeder) and 128 yards (back of feed pin):

I can't say this was my best hunt ever because Saturday I went to the Emergency room with a severe sinus infection. However, Sunday I recovered enough to go back out and shot another young pig with my airgun, unfortunately my aim was off. Finally, I used my GSP (Rosie) to track the shot pig in hopes she could locate it down in the thicket on the side of the ridge. Well sure enough she found it and 4 or 5 others in the thickest mess of briers and horns you have ever seen. I worked myself down and through the thicket and circled the dog and the hogs she had bayed. They came running right toward me and stop as soon as they saw me in front of them. At this point this big spotted Sow busted out of the thicket running down the ridge to my right. I had my AR at the ready and was able to take down the big sow as it ran through a clearing. Man that was exciting!
[Linked Image]
Not Too Bad For A BB Gun

Last edited by HornSlayer; 03/28/18 03:57 AM.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide