I have a 1000# one that's been working on the same battery and timer and solar panel for about 5 years now. They save more corn than you can imagine. The squirrels and coons try for a while, then give up. The only things I have found to do to improve the usage:
1. Cut about an inch and a half off the bottom of the PVC at the base. Helps keep it from clogging.
2. Only use clean corn. I built a screen/funnel out of hardware cloth/screen so the fines fall out when you add corn.
3. Run it until empty, then turn it on it's side and dump out the dust.
4. Mine came with a plastic spinner plate. I replaced it with metal after the squirrels. They may only sell the metal plates now.
5. Keep some of the d-ring clips that secure the auger to the motor on hand. They fail infrequently, but they do fail.
Here's a previous thread with the pics of the screen: Capsule feeder