421669 Topics
6108102 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7113293 - 03/16/18 10:02 AM The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

It's during this time of the year that I enjoy stalking wild pigs. It gives me a chance to do some post-season scouting and to look for sheds. The creek bottom where I hunt always shows a lot of hog sign, and with their poor eyesight and noise they often make while feeding and rooting, they're probably one of the easiest wild game animals in Texas that you can walk up and shoot.

Spring, Texas

#7113305 - 03/16/18 10:17 AM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
Blank Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Yes, their sense of smell is great, but eyesight, not so much. Probably is second only to javelina. You can drive a truck up to them before they notice it.

#7113361 - 03/16/18 11:44 AM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
Theringworm Online   content
Tracker

Loc: West TX
The very aggressive Urban Cougar peep

#7113396 - 03/16/18 12:30 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Theringworm]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
The very aggressive Urban Cougar peep

Any bar around 8pm....better to let them tranquilize themselves a little first...... cheers

Four legged.....cottontail..... 2cents

"You're statistically more likely to be killed by Hillary Clinton than an NRA member. - PolitiDiva

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#7113443 - 03/16/18 01:24 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Dallas / Hopkins Co.
Armadillos are pretty easy.

#7113455 - 03/16/18 01:36 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I'd have to go with javalina myself. I stalked up on some a few years ago in 4 foot tall solid dead grass I could have heard me from a few 100 yards away and was able to get one with my bow at around 50 yards.

#7113459 - 03/16/18 01:40 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Over yonder.....
Skunks are easy to get close to also.....Iíve had them see me and actually come towards me.....pretty much fearless little polecats....

"You're statistically more likely to be killed by Hillary Clinton than an NRA member. - PolitiDiva

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#7113489 - 03/16/18 02:15 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: SnakeWrangler]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Skunks are easy to get close to also.....Iíve had them see me and actually come towards me.....pretty much fearless little polecats....

Yes, I remember reading they don't see very well. A friend had caught one in his live trap and asked me to help him get it out. I also remember reading that if they start stomping their feet, run like hell.

We gently laid a tarp over the trap with an opening at the door. A minute or two after opening the spring-loaded door, the little guy walked out and never paid us any attention.

Spring, Texas

#7113629 - 03/16/18 04:12 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Quote:
It's during this time of the year that I enjoy stalking wild pigs. It gives me a chance to do some post-season scouting and to look for sheds. The creek bottom where I hunt always shows a lot of hog sign, and with their poor eyesight and noise they often make while feeding and rooting, they're probably one of the easiest wild game animals in Texas that you can walk up and shoot.

Hogs don't have poor eyesight. That is a myth. Hogs see pretty darned well. It is amazing how well they can run through the forest in the dark and not run into trees, a feat most humans cannot do.

People often confuse behavior with capabilities. Just because a hog sees you and does not run away does not mean that the hog is blind. It just means that the hog isn't fearful of you, that you are not acting in a manner that the hog finds threatening.

Glenn Guess speaks of his hogs being able to tell the difference between himself and a stranger at over 100 yards, wind not blowing toward the hog. Glenn raises hogs, hunts hogs, and has developed calls for Fox Pro and Convergent.

#7113668 - 03/16/18 04:37 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
hogs eyesight is probably the worst of any animal in the woods, down wind I could get fairly close before they knew I was coming with the feed.

#7113722 - 03/16/18 05:41 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
Simple Searcher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Cottontails are my choice animal for teaching a young hunter to stalk, using wind and cover. You could probably club them you can get so close. Using a 22 almost seems unfair.
Cows are pretty easy too.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#7113726 - 03/16/18 05:47 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Simple Searcher]
don k Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bandera, Tx
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Cottontails are my choice animal for teaching a young hunter to stalk, using wind and cover. You could probably club them you can get so close. Using a 22 almost seems unfair.
Cows are pretty easy too.
I agree with SS.

#7113949 - 03/16/18 09:01 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
TexasVine Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Lakeway/Fredericksburg
Javelina.

#7113969 - 03/16/18 09:24 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Texas Dan]
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Hogs and javalina.

#7114000 - 03/16/18 10:07 PM Re: The easiest wild game animal in Texas to stalk [Re: Double Naught Spy]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

Hogs don't have poor eyesight. That is a myth. Hogs see pretty darned well. It is amazing how well they can run through the forest in the dark and not run into trees, a feat most humans cannot do.

People often confuse behavior with capabilities. Just because a hog sees you and does not run away does not mean that the hog is blind. It just means that the hog isn't fearful of you, that you are not acting in a manner that the hog finds threatening.

Glenn Guess speaks of his hogs being able to tell the difference between himself and a stranger at over 100 yards, wind not blowing toward the hog. Glenn raises hogs, hunts hogs, and has developed calls for Fox Pro and Convergent.

Not according to long term studies from sources like Texas A&M. They are not stupid. They have an excellent sense of smell.

They run through the trees in the dark because they use the same trails, not good vision. The only opinions you'll find in print giving hogs credit for having all keen senses are from hog hunters themselves that promote their hog hunting for a living and free thermal equpment.

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (03/16/18 10:07 PM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide