Page 1 of 2 1 2
Range Courtesy #7112389 03/15/18 08:38 PM
T
TLoving Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
T
Today, A Thursday morning, I decided to head off to the public rifle range to check a ladder load for its accuracy.

At the range I shoot at in the Houston area shooting benches are built in pairs with a table on the left and a table on the right separated by a wooden divider. The benches share a common substructure.

I picked a table in the middle of the range with 2-3 benches on either side of me that were open.

Each round of shooting is approximately 25 minutes between cease fires. During those 25 minutes I normally fire 6 rounds in two groups of three. I had enough time to shoot a complete ladder for a rifle before I needed to leave.

Shortly after the cease fire ended I started my firing sequence. Another shooter walked up and started placing his stuff on the empty table connected to my table. Totally empty benches were available on either side of me. He would climb in and out of the shooting table, drop sandbags over and over on the table and do it seemed to me everything he could do to shake the table.

I glared at him several times during the shooting period. At the cease fire he and I spoke. He commented that it looked like I was a pretty good shot, since he had checked my target a few times using the range provided spotting scope. I explained to him that I was checking a rifle for accuracy and that a shaky table is very difficult from which to shoot accurately.

After the cease fire ended I tried to continue shooting. I finally gave up, because it seemed that after we spoke he was even more determined to give me the experience of shooting through an earthquake.

Luck favors the prepared mind.
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112437 03/15/18 09:12 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
There’s the slight chance that he was oblivious. Some people are social creatures and he may have sit by you for that reason. I try to avoid public ranges if I can. Everyone there seems to be the authority on what you’re doing. My favorite was when I was shooting groups with it dialed off center so I wouldn’t obstruct my view of the target. There was a guy there who decided to spot for me and he told me to dial left and down, left and down every shot for about 35 rounds. I explained to him twice what I was doing but it didn’t seem to register.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112485 03/15/18 09:43 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Why not just politely explain the issue to him and ask him to move to one of the open benches?

The obvious is not always obvious to most.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112498 03/15/18 09:59 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
park your new truck at the far corner of parking lot, no one around, come out and guess what???

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112505 03/15/18 10:07 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Most everyone I've spoken to at any public range have been nice enough folks, but there are a ton of folks out there who are so self absorbed they're oblivious. Range etiquette seems to be a non-item far too often.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112510 03/15/18 10:10 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I also try to avoid most public ranges. It depends on who frequents them though. My guess is the guy was utterly clueless. I would have bluntly asked him to move. Then explained that he was gumming up your program and what you are doing requires uninterrupted focus.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112812 03/16/18 02:18 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I bet that’s the same guy who will take the urinal next to you even though there is a whole wall of unoccupied ones. bang

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7112828 03/16/18 02:34 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Been in the fire service for 20 years, this year. One thing I've learned, especially trying to drive lights and sirens among them, is many, many people don't get it. They go around all day, every day with their heads up their _____. Every day I wonder how they have lived as long as they have. Then I remember, I am part of that problem.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7113084 03/16/18 12:32 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Most people have never been TOLD what to do, the rest have no common sense.

I see it every time I go to the range. I think allot of it is they are inexperienced and don't know what to do. They are nervous. When I see this at the range, I will start up a conversation and try to guide them on what to do. What the cease fire means, like DONT GO BACK TO THE BENCH after the "range is clear" call is given.

I usually end up chatting with them, they ask about all my chit, I try to get them excited about shooting. I don't "big time" anyone.
One of the WORST, is the poor guy who stacks up the front sandbags with nothing under the butt stock. How the H you gonna get anything from that except an empty box of shells??

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: J.G.] #7113115 03/16/18 12:57 PM
T
That 1 GUy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Then I remember, I am part of that problem.

This made me chuckle

I try to be courteous at the range (Elm Fork). I try to show before they open so I can be one of the first on the lanes. I use this time to shoot my less pleasant weapons such as my 500 S&W or any rifle with a muzzle break on it.

Once it starts getting congested I just switch over to my fun guns like my suppressed AR9 or my little suppressed 22. I try not to bother those next to me though I will admit it seems most people have never seen a SBR Suppressed 9MM ar with an echo trigger so the curious are always stopping to ask me questions.

I do push the range shot rule a little with that echo trigger but once they ask me about it I take it as a sign to slow the shots down a bit so the RO does not get in trouble for losing control of his area...which happens frequently (always keep an eye out for muzzle sweep).

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: wp75169] #7113182 03/16/18 01:30 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: wp75169
There’s the slight chance that he was oblivious. Some people are social creatures and he may have sit by you for that reason. I try to avoid public ranges if I can. Everyone there seems to be the authority on what you’re doing. My favorite was when I was shooting groups with it dialed off center so I wouldn’t obstruct my view of the target. There was a guy there who decided to spot for me and he told me to dial left and down, left and down every shot for about 35 rounds. I explained to him twice what I was doing but it didn’t seem to register.

Sounds like a lot of hunting/shooting forums. I had no idea that for 40 years I have been handloading the wrong way, shooting the wrong calibers and buying the wrong brands till the internet came along. Thankfully, I don't have to go to public ranges or I might find out I don't know how to shoot either.

Last edited by Bar-D; 03/16/18 01:33 PM.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7113950 03/17/18 02:02 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've learned the same things Bar-D. roflmao

As far as the OP, I think most people that do those things aren't doing it intentionally (that may be my feeble attempt to salvage a scrap of faith in humanity after 23 years in LE, but I'm gonna keep on believing). I would bet a lot of them were never taught the proper etiquette and probably learned most of what they know on their own. It's hard to ask someone to move away from your bench without sounding rude, but if you explain why maybe he would understand. You could combine that with giving him some pointers to help him out. Who knows, he may end up being a pretty good dude.
Of course, there is also a chance he's just a douche nozzle that needs a throat punch. confused2

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7114079 03/17/18 07:15 AM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
It's happened to me when I was doing a ladder for the 6.5 x 284, the person next to me kept shaking the wooden table and I went to my truck behind our table and got another rifle, a .338 Lapua with a muzzle brake and set it down next to him, and the gun politely spoke and he just upped and moved down a few tables. Easy wasn't it? clap

There are some people who have no regard for others who are trying hard to shoot accurately on a table.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TackDriver] #7114148 03/17/18 01:00 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: TackDriver
It's happened to me when I was doing a ladder for the 6.5 x 284, the person next to me kept shaking the wooden table and I went to my truck behind our table and got another rifle, a .338 Lapua with a muzzle brake and set it down next to him, and the gun politely spoke and he just upped and moved down a few tables. Easy wasn't it? clap

There are some people who have no regard for others who are trying hard to shoot accurately on a table.

I did this once with a guy who had a really nice, really expensive .338 w/brake. I was shooting my 6.5 Weatherby. After his guns blew my cap off my bench, we made a deal to take turns shooting.

It was a Saturday at Garland, so we couldn't move. So glad I can go during the week now

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: Buzzsaw] #7114278 03/17/18 03:46 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

It was a Saturday at Garland, so we couldn't move. So glad I can go during the week now

Yes, it's brutal on the weekends with so many people packed so closely together. Makes it hard to concentrate. I can only stand it for about 2 hours.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: Grizz] #7114298 03/17/18 04:11 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: Grizz
It's hard to ask someone to move away from your bench without sounding rude, but if you explain why maybe he would understand. You could combine that with giving him some pointers to help him out. Who knows, he may end up being a pretty good dude.
Of course, there is also a chance he's just a douche nozzle that needs a throat punch. confused2

A+ for being open-minded!
grin

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: scottfromdallas] #7114770 03/18/18 01:28 AM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Yes, it's brutal on the weekends with so many people packed so closely together. Makes it hard to concentrate. I can only stand it for about 2 hours.

I signed up at Lonestar for that reason, but then they got shut down. Thankfully Garland is only about 15 mins from the house.

Two trips in a row there I had somebody with either a 18" 308 or a 16" 556 with a brake on it next to me as I'm trying to do load development. Ended up building a little wall with the sandbags so that the muzzle blast didn't hit me in the face every time.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7114796 03/18/18 01:53 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
LOL!

I built a wall of rifle cases to my left when a guy cam and set up next to me shooting an AR15 just last weekend. I wish folks would be more considerate and use brass catchers.

I got branded with some .300 BO brass last fall, same circumstance. It's just not cool slinging hot brass around like that in such close quarters.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7114874 03/18/18 03:27 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
My braked 6.5 CM is loud as all get out. I don't have an issue with people sitting too close to me.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: RiverRider] #7115007 03/18/18 01:17 PM
S
snarkscarbine Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
LOL!

I built a wall of rifle cases to my left when a guy cam and set up next to me shooting an AR15 just last weekend. I wish folks would be more considerate and use brass catchers.

I got branded with some .300 BO brass last fall, same circumstance. It's just not cool slinging hot brass around like that in such close quarters.

I remember one time shooting pistols with my wife; she was to my left, and there was a guy to her left with some sort of Range Ninja gat with a RMR and a can on it. It was so operator that he had to put on his Oakley hard knuckle gloves just to shoot it. His brass kept hitting her in the head/neck/face, so I switched places with here, and made a big show about stepping out of the way every time he'd shoot, but he was utterly oblivious. And we're talking 3-4 feet away, not next table over.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7140254 04/13/18 06:45 PM
M
mley1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I usually hit the range during the middle of the week. The range I go to, Clear Creak Gun Range, has screen dividers that separate the lanes and prevent brass from hitting your neighbors. I shoot a couple of rifles with muzzle brakes. So, I try to be polite and sit away from folks when I can. If it gets to crowded at the 100yrd line I just move on down to the 200yrd line. It's empty most of the time, even on weekends.

Most folks at the range seem to be polite, but there seems to always be some new folks. I see a lot of new shooters who don't know how to zero their rifles. Or, they'll blast away and get patterns instead of groups. You can always tell the re-loaders and precision shooters, as they'll fire off a round, sit and chat for a while, get behind their rifle and look for a few minutes, and fire off a round. It takes them 20 minutes to fire a 3 shot group. LOL And, there's always the guy who's breaking in his barrel, fires a shot, clean, fires a shot, clean, fires a shot, clean. Makes a day at the range interesting.

Thanks,

Marty
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7140313 04/13/18 07:53 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
At times I'm not sure what would be more interesting to watch - a day at the range or a day at the boat ramp. Boat ramp probably wins...but not by much.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: mley1] #7140329 04/13/18 08:09 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: mley1
Makes a day at the range interesting.

Hey Marty, is that girl still out there distracting you? The RO you were telling me about.

Re: Range Courtesy [Re: patriot07] #7140391 04/13/18 09:16 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: patriot07
At times I'm not sure what would be more interesting to watch - a day at the range or a day at the boat ramp. Boat ramp probably wins...but not by much.

I've seen interesting things at the range, but what I've seen at boat ramps was definitely more entertaining. Saw a guys entire rig roll back down the ramp and submerge at Eagle Mountain one day. Glub glub. popcorn

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Range Courtesy [Re: TLoving] #7140559 04/14/18 12:35 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I still think once I retire, I'm gonna spend spring, summer, and early fall at the boat ramp. A chair, a table, a cooler, an umbrella, and a sign "Trailer backing service $5"

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide