The newest light weight 7mm-08 A.I. has been fun to play with. It is a Tikka action, and a Tikka 7mm-08 factory 1:9 barrel, re-chambered for 7mm-08 A.I. Chopped off a 17", threaded and wearing a Tiger Shark suppressor. I found a good load, while fire forming, with 162 gr. ELD-X bullets, then found a good load on formed brass with the same bullet. So that lot of 100 pieces has two firings on it. A glutton for punishment, I decided to buy another 100 pieces of brass, and work up a load with 150 gr. ELD-X. I did that while fire forming, then went through the process on formed brass. The rifle really shoots well on formed brass.
On March 6 I worked my way all the way down the range with it, with a 20 mph wind 5 to 7 o'clock, 47F, DA -432'. DOPE and calculator were matching at 200, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 (300 was .1 Mil different from the calculator). On March 9 I shot it again, 63F, DA 740', but with an 8 o'clock wind 2-7 mph. Elevation ran exactly the same corrections as it did in a lower temp, lower DA, and completely different wind. So the rifle is shooting consistent in different temperatures and wind speeds and directions. Monday, It was 62F, DA 845', wind 8 o'clock 2-7 mph. First shot at 300 yards .3 low, dialed up .3, next shot .4 high. 400 yards, first shot, .3 high. That's it, something is up. So I decided it was time to clean. This barrel has shown me it likes to be cleaned every 100 rounds, and I was just past that.
Gunslick bore cleaning foam from chamber to muzzle, followed by dry patches until they were almost spotless. I counted 7 passes.
Shots are listed in order after cleaning. CCB is Clean Cold Bore.
Shot numbers in parenthesis are totals after cleaning.
After the 3 shot group at .35", I moved POI zero up .2 Mil and right .1 Mil on Monday. On Tuesday I hit center, cold bore at 500 yards.