Forums46
Topics537,926
Posts9,730,751
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7046054 01/20/18 05:03 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
An acquaintance dropped his Vortex scope on the hood of his truck. Vortex fixed the scope and paid to fix the scratch on the hood. grin

I dont think there is any question Vortex stands behind their product and that is good. As has been mentioned before though Vortex customer service gets used an inordinate amount(IMO). Thats not good. Above 9X Crossfires have the most critical eye relief of any scope Ive ever looked through and Ive mounted a schit ton of Crossfires for people. For my eyes there are other comparably priced scopes with better glass clarity and low light capability.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7046192 01/20/18 07:06 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The other day I needed to call Leupold and Vortex about scope repair. I called Leupold first, and after pushing the appropriate button to get me to customer service, the synthetic voice said you are presently 58th. I left my number and they called me back that afternoon. Then I called Vortex and immediately reached a real nice fellow. Now...Im not sure what that tells me (or you), but things went faster with Vortex.

As for scope quality, im Just a hunter and paper puncher, so I dont see the need for NF or S&B to do what I do. I suppose the long range guys really do want or need a super durable and reliable scope, and I can understand that. I like the Leupold VX3s and the Vortex Vipers I have. Now, if I had no scopes at all, and had to restock, my thinking right now would push me toward Leupold VX3 level scopes, probably 4.5-14, with CDS. The ideal reticle would be the Duplex or the Varmint Hunter with an illuminated dot of variable intensity. I dont even know if they make one that fits what I just said. Maybe id Have to move up to the VX5HD 3-15.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7073365 02/10/18 06:40 PM
M
mley1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I've got a few Vortex products, and haven't had any trouble from any of them. I've got a Strike Eagle 1-8, Viper 4-16x50 HS LR, Crossfire on my .22, a Viper 10x50 bino, and a Viper 15x50 bino. I like them all. And, I will probably buy more Vortex products. When I got the scopes I had the opportunity to compare several different ones in the store. I know that may not be a good place to compare, but I chose those particular Vortex products because they seemed better to me. I've had Leupold(still do), Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons, and a few other cheap scopes. For the price point, Vortex seems good to me. I've had others that crapped out on me almost immediately. I had a Nikon Prostaff 5 that had the front O ring seal come loose in less than 100rnds from my PA10 .308. I emailed Nikon, and didn't get a response for several days. So, took the scope back to Academy and got a refund. I then went and bought a Vortex. Nikon eventually did email me back. They offered to check the scope out, and was going to send me a shipping label. I thanked them for that, but told them no thanks as I had went and got a Vortex to replace it. Then I get a box in the mail from Nikon. They sent me a hat for my trouble. I also had a Pentax scope that crapped out on me, within 100rnds or so. I emailed Pentax. Still no response. That scope is in my garage. An internal lens came loose. I'll probably take it apart and have fun with the lenses.

Folks can say what they want about Vortex's warranty. I look at customer service from any company I buy from. If I can't get CS to respond when I need them, those products go by by. So far, I've not needed Vortex customer service. Time will tell.

Thanks,

Marty
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: CharlieSierraDelta] #7073756 02/11/18 01:28 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta
You guys are goofballs. If Vortex sucked as bad as all of you bandwagon guys say they were then they wouldn't be ranked in the top 3 in PRS. And if any of you rejects has anymore input other than what I just said then you better be a ranked shooter of some sort.

Seriously, other than youre a hateful sob this thread was directed at vortex in general and not thier top of the line scopes only. In fact 99% of their scopes that they sell are to consumers who will never shoot any competition. They are hunters and sportsman and from what I see in this thread that class of their scopes is lacking quality. Before you spout what qualifies you to be so hateful I dont particularly care. If youre speaking from a position of experience (rank) then you should conduct yourself as such. Im ranked rather highly at the beer lease btw.

Last edited by wp75169; 02/11/18 01:29 AM.
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: 603Country] #7074159 02/11/18 01:31 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
The other day I needed to call Leupold and Vortex about scope repair. I called Leupold first, and after pushing the appropriate button to get me to customer service, the synthetic voice said you are presently 58th. I left my number and they called me back that afternoon. Then I called Vortex and immediately reached a real nice fellow. Now...Im not sure what that tells me (or you), but things went faster with Vortex.

I'll tell you what it tells me and this isn't scope related it's business. They don't want my business! I will not do business with any company that uses an automated receptionist unless I absolutely have to. We could easily replace our receptionist with an automated router but never will. The first person your customer talks to can make or break your business especially for us less than patient old farts. There's a reason we have a new frac crew on the new project, they answered the phone and acted like they wanted our business.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 02/11/18 01:32 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: HWY_MAN] #7074413 02/11/18 05:01 PM
M
mley1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Quote:

I'll tell you what it tells me and this isn't scope related it's business. They don't want my business! I will not do business with any company that uses an automated receptionist unless I absolutely have to. We could easily replace our receptionist with an automated router but never will. The first person your customer talks to can make or break your business especially for us less than patient old farts. There's a reason we have a new frac crew on the new project, they answered the phone and acted like they wanted our business.

Customer service matters, period. I can't stand listening to those automated calls. I want to talk to a real person who seems to actually be interested in helping me.

Thanks,

Marty
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7074425 02/11/18 05:08 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
love these Vortex battles

I wouldn't own one

I think the PRS guys shooting them are sponsored and get em free.

HOWEVER. I do own their 10X42 TALON BINO's and they are GREAT. Their service is great too but pretty much everyone's is these days.

Swarovski's customer service ROCKS !!!! ask me how I know

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7074487 02/11/18 05:59 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Buzz...at the prices Swaro's cost they ought to send a limo to the house and pick it up & bring it back for you...nobles oblige and all that...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: WileyCoyote] #7074602 02/11/18 07:34 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Buzz...at the prices Swaro's cost they ought to send a limo to the house and pick it up & bring it back for you...nobles oblige and all that...
Ron

They're worth every penny.

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7074613 02/11/18 07:49 PM
T
thejimmster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have 3 Vortex Vipers and love them. No problems.

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7076033 02/12/18 11:29 PM
H
HookEmHogs Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
My 1-6 Strike Eagle has worked well but the lines on the reticle are a little thick for my taste. I also have a cheap Vortex 3-9 Crossfire II on a plinker, works well.

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7076899 02/13/18 05:43 PM
R
Red D Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
4 vortex scopes (2 crossfire, 1 diamondback, 1 viper)
Zero problems

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7076904 02/13/18 05:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
No problems out of mine. I think they are good, they may not be the "BEST" but they also don't cost the most either. I think they provide a good bang for your buck.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7094059 02/27/18 12:37 AM
M
mow Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
i have a vortex viper..hunted in rain snow mud..drooped it and had it on my ar10 with a 1000 rouns shot with the scope..never an issu of any kind..plan on buying two more from cameraland

Last edited by mow; 02/27/18 12:37 AM.
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7096973 03/01/18 02:42 AM
240z Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I've had a Vortex Viper for a few years, it's on a hunting rifle gets hauled around in the hunting buggy all fall and winter. Still holds zero.

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.....the most efficent way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effects of Horsepower.
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7097049 03/01/18 04:26 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Mine hasnt failed yet, going on 4 years old, Viper PST. Still tracks as it should. This past weekend it it went to 800 yards, thats 2+ revolutions and got angrily turned back to 200 yard mark without missing a beat.

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7106631 03/10/18 02:07 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
IMO, there seems to always be something better in the same price range as Vortex. It may not always be Leupold, Nikon, Burris, or even Bushnell, but someone else has a better product in the same $$ range.

And youre going to need that vortex warranty.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7108465 03/12/18 04:00 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I am sure glad Vortex is making scopes.... I remember when it was Leupold/ Redfield / Weaver/ Tasco take your pick and the glass back then barf we live in wonderful times with all the choices we have.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7109658 03/13/18 12:48 PM
W
WillowCity2506 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Purchased a Vortex Diambondback HP and Leupold VX 3i CDS last month. Mounted both and took to the range. For everyday hunting purpose IMO you cant beat the Vortex. It was $150 cheaper than the Leupold and honestly the image is brighter in the Vortex. The Leupold is super nice and the image is VERY crisp, outstanding scope and glad I made the purchase for my new rifle. The Vortex Diambondback HP for $340 is a no brainer IMO. Great scope, Great price, Great Warranty

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7109688 03/13/18 01:32 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
I've always heard good things about Vortex so when I needed a high-powered variable for a varmint rifle, I bought one. The scope was okay & worked just fine, but I was not pleased with the clarity. I'd heard so much about what a excellent scope Vortex was, I probably had too high of expectations. I sold it shortly there after & bought what I know - a Leupold.

Lesson learned!

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7109774 03/13/18 02:27 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
counter guy @ cabelas told me they were they best on the marker roflmao hammer

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: pertnear] #7109786 03/13/18 02:34 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: pertnear
I've always heard good things about Vortex so when I needed a high-powered variable for a varmint rifle, I bought one. The scope was okay & worked just fine, but I was not pleased with the clarity. I'd heard so much about what a excellent scope Vortex was, I probably had too high of expectations. I sold it shortly there after & bought what I know - a Leupold.

Lesson learned!
Just curious what model Vortex and what model Leupold you were comparing? If you were putting a crossfire up against a MK5HD, then I can see why you were disappointed. But within the same price range, I'd be a little surprised if Vortex was inferior to Leupold from a glass quality standpoint.

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: patriot07] #7109862 03/13/18 03:46 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: pertnear

Lesson learned!
Just curious what model Vortex and what model Leupold you were comparing? If you were putting a crossfire up against a MK5HD, then I can see why you were disappointed. But within the same price range, I'd be a little surprised if Vortex was inferior to Leupold from a glass quality standpoint.

I was comparing an older 6.5x-20x-40mm Vari-X III Leupold to a new then Vortex Viper 6.5-20x-44mm. The Leupold is a 1" tube & the Vortex was a 30mm tube. The Vortex felt like a "clunky monster" on my rifle too. I bought the Leupold used for slightly more than I got for the Vortex, around $425. I might be comparing apples to oranges here, but there was no comparison between the 2 scopes. The 30mm tube added no advantage to the Vortex optics. JIMHO. YMMV.

Last edited by pertnear; 03/13/18 03:47 PM.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: scottfromdallas] #7109899 03/13/18 04:19 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
The 30mm tube is for adjustment range, not optical clarity.

You're right that there is a little bit of comparing apples and oranges there. But, those 2 scopes aren't in wildly different price ranges, and your opinions don't surprise me too much, although I think most folks believe the Viper is pretty decent optically for the price range.

Re: Are Vortex scopes any good? [Re: colt45-90] #7110135 03/13/18 08:15 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: colt45
counter guy @ cabelas told me they were they best on the marker roflmao hammer

When I worked at Cabelas there was pretty much a consensus among the younger salesmen that Vortex was the best. Some of them didnt own a scope, most only had one rifle and scope and never once did I see one them looking through different scope brands to compare optical quality.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide