453045 Topics
6260873 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6930861 - 10/23/17 09:42 PM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog

Look for litters whose parents have the titles FC, AFC, or HRCH before their names, or MH title after. These dogs will hunt, no matter what color. You won't find any designer colors with these titles.

Robby

#6931615 - 10/24/17 01:04 PM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Straight out of Johnson County
1 color is cosmetic, but I like black

2. ENGLISH, BS on it just being head shape. in my exsperience the English bred dogs are Healthier, more trainable, and overall less likely to be a psychotic waste of dog food or a giant baby/couch potato.

3. You get what you pay for... there are some great dogs without big pedigree... but if your playing the odds game the proven lines get you the best chance at a really great dog

For the record, I'm not a lab guy... Like a ton of breeds more. I have spent too much time messing with american labs that are just flat dumb. I know ppl will disagree with me but thats been my experience

Edit: just reread post... and I agree with above... Tamales would be a great trade medium if you can find a breeder willing to barter. The other option that comes to mind is renting out your children for manual labor... not sure of legality here though

Edited by catslayer (10/24/17 01:09 PM)

#6932027 - 10/24/17 05:58 PM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
adam94 Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Plano, Texas
As a new black lab owner I'll give you my thoughts after doing some research
1) color - while I do believe this is mostly a cosmetic issue the theory that black labs 'pick up' more heat than others makes sense. My black lab also is very sneaky in the dark as I can barely see her hahah
2) She is a "British lab." I watched a documentary on the breed it was really interesting I'll post it when I find it. While the AKC and the BKC does not recognize a difference there is obviously a difference in build. The documentary also pointed out the "American" lab generally has a longer snout which aids in the retrieval of larger game. Now I know both dogs perform very well at retrieving larger game such as geese. My wife's family has a family dog which is also a British lab and they swear that it was the easiest dog to train and her temperament was very 'mellow.'
3) While a great dog can come from the local pound I think when looking for a hunting partner for life I like to make sure their parents are trained and they come with the health guarantee.

Here is the video I watched and found very informative - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSR18Q1ze2w&t=858s

Edited by adam94 (10/24/17 05:59 PM)

#6934255 - 10/26/17 07:27 AM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Cochise Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Texas
1. Color is cosmetic - I personally prefer yellow. Don't be suckered into anything other than black, chocolate, or yellow (or shades of yellow ranging from near white to fox red - those are all OK). Health is absolutely the most important.

2. There is a difference in American/English labs...it should correctly be labeled field bred (American) and confirmation bred (English). We have two English labs. We personally will not own anything else ever again. You certainly will pay a premium for a confirmation bred dog. I have been around a lot of dogs. Generally - English labs are a bit more laid back in the home. People try to say english dogs are lazy in the field. I disagree. One of mine is a solid meat dog. The other is a firecracker and if I so desired could probably take him far running trials, but I could not care less about that. Both were very trainable - a lot of that goes back to pedigree. Wife is in the vet medical field and sees 100s of dogs a week - she'll tell you straight up there is a difference in the two in overall demeanor and attitude.

3. Usually - as with anything - you get what you pay for. American labs with good pedigrees and health clearances will cost a premium. As will English labs in general. Both of mine were in the $2,000 range

#6934289 - 10/26/17 08:04 AM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: BarneyWho]
kindall Online   content

Loc: Spring, Tx
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
a $300 backyard dog isn't going to be much different than a $2000 top pedigree dog.

that's pretty inaccurate (trying to bite my tongue). After having bought a backyard breed lab and watched it suffer with hips going out to having to make the decision to put it down, I'd highly suggest you do your homework and buy a quality breed dog with the health certifications. This dog will become part of your family. So, do yourself and your family the justice of buying a dog that doesn't have a history of a hip or eye disorder. I'm not saying run out and buy a $2000 dog, but I'd at least buy one where the sire and dam have hip and eye certs. I'd want my dogs to be EIC and CNM clear as well.

2x

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

#7110464 - 03/13/18 09:49 PM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Wildphilhickup Online   content

Loc: ALLEN, TEXAS

I have had 5 Labs since 1980. 3 Black, 2 yellow. 2 males , 3 females.
Never wanted a Chocolate as that is the recessive trait.
Acquired All of them as pups. All were papered , and I was very selective about the stud / bitch, AND the owners.
Never paid more than $500 for any one of them.
They were/ are All Excellent Hunters.
My latest is an 8 year old female that is a retriever and a pointer. Yes, she hunts pheasant.
She is very intelligent and a great house pet.

#7137609 - 04/10/18 12:07 PM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
jr22dad Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Cypress, TX
Most would be personal preference if you've had one before. I am partial to British, size and temperament. One thing I agree with everyone else is HEALTH. I have learned in the past year that just because the BVA says a dogs eyes are clear dont mean S***. My yellow female has PRA and will go blind before long. She had just finished Junior title so training money and everything else is now a waste other than having a wonderful sidekick. IMO, if its British, make sure the eyes are DNA clear, not a just a vet looking in their eyes. I learned the hard way. Breeder agreed to give me another dog but it does this one no good. I found out when I decided to breed her and was absolutely heartbroken. Not just for me, but for her too. Live and learn i reckon. I trusted what I read only to find out after talking with BVA their "CLEAR" criteria, is not as stringent as AKC. Things may have changed, but it doesn't do us any good right now.

Good luck with your decision

#7137633 - 04/10/18 12:34 PM Re: Labrador Questions [Re: TurkeyWhisperer]
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog

If you are hunting dove, but not ducks you should consider another breed. Because they are larger dogs with a tendency to gain weight easily they are a little more susceptible to heat stroke not a good thing for dove hunters. You really need to watch a lab's diet closely they can easily get really fat. With ducks and geese it is another matter--that bulk makes it easier for the dog to handle cold, big water and big birds. You don't wan't to be next to a shorthair in the duck blind when the temp is in the 30s and the wind is out of the north.
Another point in favor of labs--lots of dogs=big gene pool= better chance of getting a good dog from a reputable breeder.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide