Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: Hogz] #7112276 03/15/18 07:07 PM
W
wall8053 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W

20" Odin Works with an 18" Midwest Industries handguard, I am about to swap the optic to a 4.5-14 MTAC.

Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: Hogz] #7113127 03/16/18 01:03 PM
H
Hogz Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Thank you everyone for all the information. I am really looking forward to this project. I found a pretty nice looking "Complete Upper" at Grendel Hunter that I like.
Does any one have any info on this upper? I was looking at the 18" Fluted Stainless barrel with a 15" MLOC handguard.
Was considering getting the Velocity 4lb trigger as well but may look around for something different. Is Velocity Triggers a decent trigger?

Thanks again for all the guidance on this! I really appreciate it!

Shoot Str8 and Stay Safe
Jeff
Omaha Fire Captain
Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: Hogz] #7113344 03/16/18 04:22 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I went somewhat the same route. I bought a Grendel upper and swapped it out on my carbine. I liked it so much that I built a dedicated lower. I did a few tweaks out of personal preference.

1. CMC trigger. I really like the feel of their triggers, especially the 3.5lb flat trigger.
2. Adjustable gas block. I like to be able to tune the gas system to the round I am shooting.
3. Rifle length buffer tube and stock. I feel I get a more consistent cheek weld on a scoped rifle than I do with an adjustable carbine style stock.

Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: Hogz] #7115586 03/19/18 12:37 AM
R
ranger_jackson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
I'm not going to blow smoke up your a$$ but I do a ton of research on anything I am considering to build or buy. From my findings, short answer is DO IT! I was thinking of a grendel bolt action but once again after reading and talking with several gun dealers and owners if you buy a gendalel bolt action you should have built a creedmore bolt action. The grendel was designed to be a long range sporting rifle and that is exactly what it is. You get great performance (long range) from the sporting platform without sacrificing your comfort while doing so.

Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: The Dude Abides] #7115590 03/19/18 12:39 AM
R
ranger_jackson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted By: Hogz
Wow..thank you all for your response to this!!
I am still in the "research phase" on this round..but y'all are making it easy to determine that my next gun will be the 6.5 Grendel.
To answer some questions listed above.. My primary hunting rifles now are a Howa .243 with a Blackhawk tactical stock and a Saka Finn Bear 30-06. I am from Nebraska but head to the Great State of Texas to hunt hogs twice a year. So my primary game is big ole Texas hogs and big ole Nebraska bucks. So from the responses above...the Grendel will be a great addition (especially for my daughter s to shoot)

I really have no need for a .223. I do not feel they are a big enough round to hunt deer up here (heck my .243 doesn't do the job some times shooting Hornady SST 95 Gr ) in fact this year at HUNTERS CREEK RANCH I shot a 196lb sow and didn't get a pass through at 80yds with it.
So my thinking (and it is slightly clouded with Wild Turkey American Honey ) is that I start from scratch. But I don't have the lgunsmith tools I've seen on YouTube to do some of these builds.
So what would those of you that have done these types of builds do in this scenario? Buy complete a lower and a complete upper and join them and be done..OR... Buy the small amount of tools needed and start from scratch?
I really like the look of one of the Odin works free float fore grips.
What length barrel do y'all recommend for a Grendel? I was thinking 20".

Does any one have a build list that they would recommend !???
Thank you again for everyone's assistance on this. I can't wait to get started!!

This is all you need, 18" barrel. Once you buy the UU kit then you can get their stripped receiver. Add your scope and ammo and head to the range.

Larue UU Kit

My rig with the LT M-308 suppressor and Leupold MK5 HD scope in an LT-104 scope mount.

What a beaut!! I had read that 20" was the sweet spot for this round? It the 18" performing well?

Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: ranger_jackson] #7115624 03/19/18 01:16 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted By: ranger_jackson
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
Originally Posted By: Hogz
Wow..thank you all for your response to this!!
I am still in the "research phase" on this round..but y'all are making it easy to determine that my next gun will be the 6.5 Grendel.
To answer some questions listed above.. My primary hunting rifles now are a Howa .243 with a Blackhawk tactical stock and a Saka Finn Bear 30-06. I am from Nebraska but head to the Great State of Texas to hunt hogs twice a year. So my primary game is big ole Texas hogs and big ole Nebraska bucks. So from the responses above...the Grendel will be a great addition (especially for my daughter s to shoot)

I really have no need for a .223. I do not feel they are a big enough round to hunt deer up here (heck my .243 doesn't do the job some times shooting Hornady SST 95 Gr ) in fact this year at HUNTERS CREEK RANCH I shot a 196lb sow and didn't get a pass through at 80yds with it.
So my thinking (and it is slightly clouded with Wild Turkey American Honey ) is that I start from scratch. But I don't have the lgunsmith tools I've seen on YouTube to do some of these builds.
So what would those of you that have done these types of builds do in this scenario? Buy complete a lower and a complete upper and join them and be done..OR... Buy the small amount of tools needed and start from scratch?
I really like the look of one of the Odin works free float fore grips.
What length barrel do y'all recommend for a Grendel? I was thinking 20".

Does any one have a build list that they would recommend !???
Thank you again for everyone's assistance on this. I can't wait to get started!!

This is all you need, 18" barrel. Once you buy the UU kit then you can get their stripped receiver. Add your scope and ammo and head to the range.

Larue UU Kit

My rig with the LT M-308 suppressor and Leupold MK5 HD scope in an LT-104 scope mount.

What a beaut!! I had read that 20" was the sweet spot for this round? It the 18" performing well?

Bill Alexander wrote the 18 inch barrel is probably the best length for the Grendel as a hunting cartridge.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: Hogz] #7115960 03/19/18 01:02 PM
R
ranger_jackson Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
up

Re: Thoughts on the 6.5 Grendel [Re: Hogz] #7119253 03/22/18 02:46 AM
W
wtjim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
I love my 6.5G. 18" underground tactical barrel. It my 90% hunting gun...

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide