Forum Stats
63671 Members
45 Forums
452871 Topics
6258122 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7106183 - 03/09/18 11:10 AM Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol..
majekman Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Tha Rock
Yíall school me on a good conceal carry weapon...something that wonít break the bank but is thin and compact yet with good power and accuracy. I have a big 357 and a 9mm semi auto. Iím a much better shot it seems with a wheel gun than the semi...
Suggestions?
Thanks guys

#7106190 - 03/09/18 11:17 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
KRoyal Online   sleepy
Texoma Legend

Loc: Sherman/North of Dallas
If you're wanting something small and thin that won't break the bank and have more punch than a 9 I'd look at the S&W Shield in either 40 or 45.

#7106195 - 03/09/18 11:22 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
I know it's an important topic, but this question comes up about 1-2 times a week on here. The right answer for me, may not be the right answer for you. What I would do first, is figure out how you plan to carry your CCW. Once you figure this part out, look at which firearms will fit this type of carry method for you. To help figure that out, I would go to a gun range that rents pistols to try the different models that you think will fit your needs. Often times shooters buy a firearm that they "think" is what they want, but find out that it is not what they really wanted. Trying it out first will help.

I carry IWB in the 3 o'clock position. I carry a G23 in 40 cal, or a G20 in 10mm as my 2 main CCW. My favorite holster is the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC for the G23. It fits very well, has good weapon retention (and adjustable) and is very comfortable. I also have the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB that I like. This holster requires a little more adjusting. I also needed to heat up the Kydex part to increase the retention of the weapon.

But, figure out what methods will work for you, as each person is different in how they carry.

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7106209 - 03/09/18 11:36 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
Veteran Tracker

...donít mean to beat a dead horse on the subject. Jus reaching out in many different directions.
I intend to carry in my pocket or a boot type holster

#7106362 - 03/09/18 02:49 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

You didn't know it but you just put yourself into a stubby .38 special.

Find you a good pocket holster and go.

#7106363 - 03/09/18 02:52 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: Brother in-law]
ChadTRG42 Online   happy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

+1!

Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#7106367 - 03/09/18 02:56 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: ChadTRG42]
FiremanJG Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

+1!

Can't argue that.

I'll throw a wrench in the gears. I carry an XDS every day, unfortunately I sometimes forget it is there when I'm working in the country. They make that pistol in 9mm, just sayin.

800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#7106370 - 03/09/18 02:57 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
jeffbird Online   content

For pocket carry, Glock 36 (45ACP), Glock 43 (9mm), M&P Shield 45 or 9, or Kahr PM9.

Pants need to be loose and slightly baggy to conceal well and also make it easy to draw.

Tight jeans are not a good option for pocket carry.

38 Special, especially from the snubnose length barrels, has such low velocity the bullets do not penetrate or expand well.

Lucky Gunner has a good test write-up on 38 Special, which confirms the need to go to a 3" - 4" barrel to get the velocity up, and even then, the 9mm will provide more reliable expansion.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

A 45 is a major step up in power which is a benefit, where capacity is limited. The Glock 36 is 7 shots of 45 ACP, which why it is my go to for pocket carry. Add a Big Dot sight up front, and it is a real defensive tool.

Boot carry is not a great option for access for most scenarios other than perhaps a backup gun.

The DeSantis Nemesis is a nice holster, but the Uncle Mike's cheap neoprene really works well too.

I made a DIY thin leather pocket holster, which I prefer as the leather causes less sweating than the synthetics.

For IWB, the options are almost limitless, thinner is easier to conceal. Glock 19 and M&P ( now go with the Compact 9 2.0) are the two dominant most obvious choices, but there are several really good options now.

IWB holsters - leather is more comfortable to me, others say the opposite.

Crossbreed Super Tuck, Comp Tac, or Milt Sparks (especially the VM2), Bullard or Davis Leather are good.

Stealth Gear, Raven, and on your On Your Six are all good quality. On Your Six is a small shop in San Antonio started by some SAPD officers.

They are less expensive, but make a nice product. Raven is really well made and a bit more refined, and a bit more expensive.

Expect to go through several holsters. Holsters in good condition are easy to sell on ebay.

Ebay is also a great place to look for holsters, sometimes at significant savings from folks trying a bunch.

A wide, very stiff belt makes a major difference in comfort. The Wilderness Instructor belt with a plastic stiffening insert is the best I've tried.

Most of the holster manufacturers also offer well made belts. A saddle shop can make something tailored to your tastes as another option.

Expect to have to experiment until settling on the right combination of pistol and holster.

Also, remember that accuracy and reliability are the most important factors, and cannot ever be compromised.

fwiw - I carry a full-size 1911 Les Baer 45 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck or a Milt Sparks VM2, and occasionally a G36 in a DIY leather holster for pocket carry.

Neither are the most popular choices, but what I have found to conceal, carry, and shoot well for me. Everyone needs to try several and work with them i.e. practice drawing and shooting, as well as carrying, to see which combination is the best all around. Anything you'll actually carry is better than "the best" that sits at home in the safe.

I went through more than ten pistols in a few years and about double that number of holsters.

The more one carries, the more comfortable it becomes. It really bothers me to walk out the door without carrying, and is very noticeable to me.

Having my gear on me is just like carrying a wallet or wearing a watch - not even noticeable now.

#7106467 - 03/09/18 04:44 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
Smokey Bear Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
For me it's a glock 43 with the pinky extension on the mag. I was not a fan....till I shot one. Shoot some pistols and see which one you handle the best that you feel you could comfortably conceal with your preferred method of carry.

#7106486 - 03/09/18 05:14 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: Brother in-law]
Buzzsaw Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas

Yep, get the gun you WILL carry, many aren't committed to carry everyday because its a PITA.

Look at the Taurus 85 lightweight, S&W air weight, Ruger LCR. None will break the bank,

Get some Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot for compact guns. These are loaded with a powder to reduce muzzle flash in short compact guns.

Then get a Desantis FLY holster. You'll be set.

If you like a semi auto, look at the Kimber Micro 380, in the Fly holster. It disappears in your pocket.

#7106645 - 03/09/18 08:26 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
Veteran Tracker

Thanks guys...just the kinda feedback I was looking for

#7106738 - 03/09/18 10:11 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
tehachapi Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Harris County
Since you already have a 9mm, i'd stick with a 9mm. Makes ammo easier. For me it's the P938 Sig or a Kimber micro 9. I've been using 1911 controls for so long they just seem right to me.

#7106751 - 03/09/18 10:28 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

What 9mm do you have?

#7106786 - 03/09/18 11:28 PM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: majekman]
gusick Online   content
Pro Tracker

Revolvers are relatively expensive these days. It's hard to buy a decent one without breaking the bank. Your best bet is probably one of those Rugers with the plastic frame. I think they run about $500.

#7106833 - 03/10/18 06:20 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. [Re: Brother in-law]
Veteran Tracker

What 9mm do you have?

Ruger P89.....way to big and bulky

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide