417043 Topics
6045471 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7102413 - 03/05/18 10:25 PM School me on muzzle brakes
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

So I just now realized that I had the spelling wrong...

Anyway, I've been thinking about putting a muzzle break on my dad's .30-06. It's plain jane, 24" sporter barrel (WBY Vanguard 1).

I have no idea how to begin this process. One option is I send it to Weatherby and they put their $224 Accubrake on, which is what I'm leaning towards. All in all I'd probably spend around $350 I think for that route.

But are their other options? I would need to save up to do this either way, but I think it would help both of us behind this rifle.

#7102416 - 03/05/18 10:35 PM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
Lazyman Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Hamilton
Send it to Morgan at Dallas Shooting Supplies and have him thread it for 50 then buy a brake for it....

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/users/13035/DallasShootingSupplies

#7102417 - 03/05/18 10:37 PM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
You’d need to get it threaded, then buy a brake then put it on. Some brakes are “timed” and you probably want a gunsmith to put it on so that it is in the correct orientation. Some brakes are not, and you can put them on yourself. Threading can be as cheap as $50-$100 depending on where you take it, and a brake can be $30- a couple hundred depending on what you buy. No idea what a smith charges to install a brake.

#7102428 - 03/05/18 11:00 PM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training

thank you!

Any brake recommendations?

As for sending it to the aforementioned machinist, can I do that myself or must it be done through a FFL?

Edited by chital_shikari (03/05/18 11:00 PM)

#7102434 - 03/05/18 11:18 PM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
wp75169 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wills Point
Not sure of your location but there’s probably several that do it within close driving distance.

#7102522 - 03/06/18 06:46 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
GLC Offline

Loc: BenBrook Texas
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
thank you!

Any brake recommendations?

As for sending it to the aforementioned machinist, can I do that myself or must it be done through a FFL?

I have a "Little Bastard" brake on my 300 Win Mag that works very well. Ask those that was at the competition last weekend. up

#7102546 - 03/06/18 07:08 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Frisco, Texas
holes all around for hunting, Vais Brake, fits flush with barrel, very effective, looks great

horizontal foe prone bastard, very effective, looks like a tumor on the end of your barrel

#7102574 - 03/06/18 07:42 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
scottfromdallas Online   content
Tracker

Loc: TX
I have a LiL Bastard Gen 2 on my 308. I'm about to take it off. I shot it at the range it it reminded me why I don't like muzzle brakes. I think the concussive blast is more unsettling than any recoil reduction they give. JMHO.

#7102639 - 03/06/18 08:33 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: scottfromdallas]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I have a LiL Bastard Gen 2 on my 308. I'm about to take it off. I shot it at the range it it reminded me why I don't like muzzle brakes. I think the concussive blast is more unsettling than any recoil reduction they give. JMHO.

I have a timber creek muzzle brake on my AR and I think it’s coming off for the same reason. I need to shoot it outdoors first though. It was awful at the indoor range

#7102642 - 03/06/18 08:35 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Scott is right the horizontal brakes are just nasty loud with the side discharge.

Chit

just sell all your rifles, take the hit. Get a 24 month interest free Credit Card and have a custom or even semi custom rifle built. You got to get in or out. No offence but quit putting bandages on all your stuff, dump them, step up, get your good cry over with and be happy shooting half inch groups.

Do as I say not as I did. I did everything you are doing when I was your age. I finally packaged about 6-7 guns I had, sold them all for $5,000, ordered an GA Precision and a Nightforce NXS.

Its an addiction and you have it!!!

only BAD thing about my sale, there was a 6" Blue Python in the mix. I screwed myself on that one. Oh well live and learn. I'm shopping for another Python, dam, I spent $600 on mine, they are $3000 now. DOH !!!

Edited by Buzzsaw (03/06/18 08:36 AM)

#7102676 - 03/06/18 08:57 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
Judd Online   content

Loc: Wylie, TX
Do not get a brake with holes all around them and do not waste your money on a Vias brake. A hunting gun needs side ports so should you ever shoot prone your not eating a face full of dirt. There is a place for the radial brakes and that is on a bench rifle, one that you know will never see anywhere close to prone.

Buy a Harrells Precision brake and have a gunsmith put it on for you. They are cheap and very effective.

The concussive blast shouldn't effect the guy behind the gun, just the guys next to you, it definitely will be louder. I've got a brake on about every gun I own...because it calms the gun down and assists with seeing where your shots go.

#7102691 - 03/06/18 09:13 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
cabosandinh Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Another option is clamp on brakes by

Kahntrol Solutions

I tried it on my 7mag and .308 .... does reduce felt recoil

About $150
No threading needed

#7102730 - 03/06/18 09:40 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: Buzzsaw]
Tff caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Scott is right the horizontal brakes are just nasty loud with the side discharge.

Chit

just sell all your rifles, take the hit. Get a 24 month interest free Credit Card and have a custom or even semi custom rifle built. You got to get in or out. No offence but quit putting bandages on all your stuff, dump them, step up, get your good cry over with and be happy shooting half inch groups.

Do as I say not as I did. I did everything you are doing when I was your age. I finally packaged about 6-7 guns I had, sold them all for $5,000, ordered an GA Precision and a Nightforce NXS.

only BAD thing about my sale, there was a 6" Blue Python in the mix. I screwed myself on that one. Oh well live and learn. I'm shopping for another Python, dam, I spent $600 on mine, they are $3000 now. DOH !!!

Not bad advice except for the credit card, except that I don’t that chital can sell his guns, I believe they belong to his father. He’ll have to start from the bottom. BUT I’d at least quit buying cheap “upgrades” and save up until he has $1500-$2000 and put together a custom savage or something along those lines. He does seem to be chasing smaller groups and longer ranges. And that would get him there with a decent scope.

#7102825 - 03/06/18 10:57 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: Tff caribou]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Chit

Not bad advice except for the credit card, except that I don’t that chital can sell his guns, I believe they belong to his father. He’ll have to start from the bottom. BUT I’d at least quit buying cheap “upgrades” and save up until he has $1500-$2000 and put together a custom savage or something along those lines. He does seem to be chasing smaller groups and longer ranges. And that would get him there with a decent scope.

Good idea Judd and Mr. Caribou up When the wind is in your face shooting a radial brake prone you WILL get a face full of dust.

#7102869 - 03/06/18 11:57 AM Re: School me on muzzle brakes [Re: chital_shikari]
patriot07 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Royse City, TX
Are you looking for a cheap solution or the solution that requires the least amount of work? Cheap - Have the barrel threaded by Morgan at Dallas Shooting Supplies and then buy a brake from www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com. I recently did this on my 6.5 creedmoor and it helped a ton with the gun staying still enough for me to consistently see hits downrange. Least work - have a gunsmith install a traditional brake for you.

I paid right at $100 for mine. Nathan emailed back and forth with me for a few days before ordering to help answer all my questions - very nice guy.

Having a gunsmith install one isn't a bad route either, but it'll definitely cost more money. A self-timing brake like the beast from the site I mentioned is easy to install and just as effective.

I will say that I would not want to be at the range next to you while you're shooting a braked 30-06. That's bound to be serious event every time you let one fly. But it will do a ton to tame recoil if that's what you're interested in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide