Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,584
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7114644 03/17/18 11:23 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: gusick
Which state has lower hunting prices, Texas or Utah?

How would you quantify that?

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: Sneaky] #7114657 03/17/18 11:31 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

How would you quantify that?

Lease prices? Average price for a canned hunt? I don't think it would make a difference.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7114663 03/17/18 11:37 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Please elaborate on the “canned hunt”?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7114668 03/17/18 11:43 PM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
By "canned hunt", I'm talking about the places where you pay $2700 for a 3 day/2 night deer hunt on a private ranch. Lodging and meals are usually included.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7114670 03/17/18 11:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Public land hunts cost are about the same in Texas or Utah. Private land hunts costs vary but both states are high for guided Mule Deer on private land.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7114704 03/18/18 12:20 AM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
By "canned hunt", I'm talking about the places where you pay $2700 for a 3 day/2 night deer hunt on a private ranch. Lodging and meals are usually included.

Are you talking about HF or is any hunt that involves lodging a canned hunt?

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7114709 03/18/18 12:25 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

So how is thst a canned hunt?

That’s called a package hunt and they are offered in most states for all types of game

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7114723 03/18/18 12:45 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I know that type of hunt is offered in a lot of states, what we call that type of hunt isn't important. Maybe "canned hunt" isn't as common of a term as I thought.

The reason I wanted to compare Texas to Utah is because therancher said that hunting prices would plummet if federal land was put into private hands. There is already very little federal land in Texas. I am curious if Texas prices are cheaper than someplace like Utah, that is 90%+ federal land. I honestly don't know, but I doubt it because the lack of public land in Texas creates more of a market for it.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7114795 03/18/18 01:51 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I know that type of hunt is offered in a lot of states, what we call that type of hunt isn't important. Maybe "canned hunt" isn't as common of a term as I thought.

The reason I wanted to compare Texas to Utah is because therancher said that hunting prices would plummet if federal land was put into private hands. There is already very little federal land in Texas. I am curious if Texas prices are cheaper than someplace like Utah, that is 90%+ federal land. I honestly don't know, but I doubt it because the lack of public land in Texas creates more of a market for it.

I can hunt cheaper in Texas than I can in Utah, but if we narrow it down to a species, or the type of hunt, or whatever, then it might not be so. I’ll ask again, how do we quantify something like that?

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7114856 03/18/18 03:03 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
How about a 3 day/2 night private land mule deer hunt? Or antelope?

I have no idea what that cost but I'm sure it's high in either state. I would expect it to be higher in Texas just because of the limited opportunity for any other option. In Utah (or other Western states) you have the option of just buying a tag and hunting public land for free.

BTW, I've never hunted in Utah, the only reason I named that state is because I know it is mostly all federal land, pretty much the opposite of Texas.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7114929 03/18/18 06:21 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

It is a 1000 miles one way to Utah, a round trip will cost you a $1000 in gas and wear and tear. If you camp on the way up and back, add campground fees, motels, even the cheap dumps will set you back $30 a night.

For me the out of state hunts were not about costs, it was the experience that we wanted. But in my day, gas was 25 cents a gallon and campgrounds were less than $10 for a tent. The state licenses were nothing like today. I also bummed place from people that I knew in the Army, so I had nice accommodations and usually a guide or 2.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7115034 03/18/18 01:52 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
How about a 3 day/2 night private land mule deer hunt? Or antelope?

I have no idea what that cost but I'm sure it's high in either state. I would expect it to be higher in Texas just because of the limited opportunity for any other option. In Utah (or other Western states) you have the option of just buying a tag and hunting public land for free.

BTW, I've never hunted in Utah, the only reason I named that state is because I know it is mostly all federal land, pretty much the opposite of Texas.

I can get a lease in Texas for what a diy hunt in Utah costs. One elk or mule deer vs. 5 whitetails of average or lower quality. One week vs. a full year. One long round trip vs. several shorter trips. It comes down to preference at that point, except you can hunt your lease every year. To hunt Utah every year, your costs go way up, but then, you can have a quality lease in Texas for that. I would say the costs are similar, depending on what you want out of it.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7115040 03/18/18 02:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It may be cheaper for a resident....not for non residents.

The cheapest big game hunt I can think of for Non-res is antelope but you still have to get there.

To hunt elk out west every year, by the time you factor in fuel, food,tag, etc . Prolly is a wash if your on a cheaper lease in Texas. Short lessons and low success rates also factor in. Western states don’t have long seasons like we do.

However, To me it’s a better value to hunt out west (Texas included) than to be on a high dollar lease in south Texas though were prices are upwards of $10k/gun+feed

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7115073 03/18/18 02:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I enjoy both types of hunting - Texas and out west/up north.

There’s really no comparing them, because they are entirely different experiences.

I don’t lease anymore. I would rather pay 10K for a great hunt out west/up north than for a good Texas whitetail lease. Just for the variety of different experiences if nothing else. But everyone is different.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: gusick] #7115074 03/18/18 02:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

It is cheaper to hunt public land as a non resident in TX then non res in Utah. Licenses is the culprit.

Texas actually has a relative large chuck of Federal Land you just can’t hunt all of it, that non huntable chuck is well over a million acres, yet we still have over a million to hunt

Canned is a terrible anology to discribe animals in areas that aren’t migratory locations. Non migratory animals are not exclusive to private property, tons of public land with non migratory populations.

Essentially you just called AZ and NM elk, mule deer, and pronghorn canned because large percentage arent in migratory habitat.

What rancher is not disclosing in his agruement is for all Land to be private, the cost would only drop IF you dissolved the state wildlife agencies and licensing, thus giving landowners complete responsibility for the husbandry of those animals. We had that once. We lost 90% of our wildlife to a non sustainable market of game craving pallets.

I hunt a lot of public land, I’m also a Land owner, that’s had federal/state management run ins on BLM and state leases. I see both sides of the coin. I see pluses on both ends of the scale, but I whole heartily believe the loss of public land would result in the loss of hunting.

Texas is very unique, it’s interesting when we get dogged on pod casts, forums Etc. We average one of the highest license sales and days in the field per hunter in the country. The days in the field is the most relevant in my opinion, our hunters spend more days hunting then vast majority of states. So Ranchers agruement has validity, if that’s all the argument entailed

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7115611 03/19/18 01:04 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Yes it’s pretty much the height of silliness when they let marketable trees just die and then have to either clean them up when they block roads and the rest become wildfire fuel. hammer

The acres schedules to cut are the millions of acres of dead pines that the pine beatle has destroyed in the last ten years. And they are years late doing it.
If the feds would have allowed more logging the pine beatle would not have been able to spread like wildfire.
Anyone that has been west in the last few years has seen this problem. Most of Colorado is a matchbox waiting for a spark.

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7115686 03/19/18 01:59 AM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The West cannot be compared to Texas or eastern states.

I’m pretty much with Randy Newberg on it. Keep public lands publicly owned. Can’t imagine why anyone wouldn’t be. Anyone ever seen a check for their share of the sale of our public lands?

Newberg is a thorn in the bad guys side. They hate him..................I love him. He keeps kicking them in the nutt sacc every chance he gets. I really watch and listen his podcasts etc. The man knows public land and the threats against it. The WOLF walks on 2 legs and takes money by the millions for votes etc.

Lot's of BS we don't know about that happens while we sleep and our rights keep diminishing. This isn't a Republic vs. Democrat issue. The Donkey and the Elephant are taking jabs at all hunters. Sad.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: huntwest] #7117150 03/20/18 12:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: huntwest
Yes it’s pretty much the height of silliness when they let marketable trees just die and then have to either clean them up when they block roads and the rest become wildfire fuel. hammer

The acres schedules to cut are the millions of acres of dead pines that the pine beatle has destroyed in the last ten years. And they are years late doing it.
If the feds would have allowed more logging the pine beatle would not have been able to spread like wildfire.
Anyone that has been west in the last few years has seen this problem. Most of Colorado is a matchbox waiting for a spark.

It’s Not the Fed that restricted logging, it’s the frivolous lawsuits brought on by professional shakedown artists. Also there is logging thats not dead forest thinning in Southern Colorado.

You don’t think the Forrest system would like to have more funds?

Interesting tidbit Wild Turkey Federation is 4th largest timber harvester... kind of a cool, win win

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: huntwest] #7117180 03/20/18 01:21 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Where we hunt a lot of areas are inaccessible due to deadfalls

Pine beetle has put a hurting on the trees bad

Re: Tuesday discussion topic- the selling of public and state lands to private landowners [Re: txtrophy85] #7117398 03/20/18 03:46 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Where we hunt a lot of areas are inaccessible due to deadfalls

Pine beetle has put a hurting on the trees bad

It’s a caught 22, more they die more it opens up the canopy, equals more food.

It’s freaky and high unnerving walking through much less finding a camping spot.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide