Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote #7088304 02/22/18 03:29 AM
Double Naught Spy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Always identify and know your target. Marsh was calling coyotes and dressed in camo in NC when a neighbor mistook him for one of the coyotes he heard calling. He shot at MOVEMENT! Don't do that.

https://www.taylorsvilletimes.com/2018/02/20/pastor-fatally-wounded-in-local-hunting-accident/

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088309 02/22/18 03:37 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I have never understood someone shooting at a movement or sound, when they cannot identify the target. It is crazy how often we here this same story.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088332 02/22/18 04:00 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It's no accident when someone intentionally pulls a trigger. IMO, it's nothing less than negligent homicide. Perhaps in this state the charge is involuntary manslaughter.

Accidents occur when a firearm discharges as a result of unintentional actions, such letting a firearm drop or come into contact with an object.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/22/18 04:09 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088446 02/22/18 11:06 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
This is why I get the creepy willies when people talk of " brush shots". I have heard people over the years talk of "brush guns" and what would shoot through the brush. PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!!! Prayer for both families. It will be a loss all the way around.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088460 02/22/18 11:58 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
RIP Pastor Marsh angel

texas flag

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088511 02/22/18 01:11 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Such a sad ending. And it will be for both families.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088528 02/22/18 01:26 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The article didn't say, but was either person involved trespassing? Or was it public land? Assuming it wasn't public land, somebody was trespassing. If the hunter had a right to be there, the shooter must have trespassed. If the shooter didn't know somebody was on his place, the preacher was trespassing.

That needs to be cleared up before I make final judgement.

That being said, ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET & what's behind it.

Yet another reason you shouldn't be hunting close to anyone else, while you may be a responsible hunter, that doesn't mean that everyone around you is.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088548 02/22/18 01:50 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I don’t see how on earth with thermal someone could actually mistake a critter at shooting distance. Hell I can tell a deer from a hog 90% at 600 yards just by the way they move different from one another. This is most likely a lack of experience,excited in the moment, and pure lack of judgement. Never pull the trigger unless you know for a fact what you are shooting at.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Mr. T.] #7088559 02/22/18 01:56 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
Such a sad ending. And it will be for both families.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: SapperTitan] #7088570 02/22/18 02:04 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I don’t see how on earth with thermal someone could actually mistake a critter at shooting distance. Hell I can tell a deer from a hog 90% at 600 yards just by the way they move different from one another. This is most likely a lack of experience,excited in the moment, and pure lack of judgement. Never pull the trigger unless you know for a fact what you are shooting at.

Did the shooter have thermal?

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: TexFlip] #7088575 02/22/18 02:07 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

Did the shooter have thermal?
I’m not sure but there have been 2 incidents I’ve heard of in the last 6 months of someone shooting a person while using thermal at night.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088581 02/22/18 02:13 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Who ever mistakes a human being for a legitimate target is either an untrained inexperienced child or a murderer. It is totally wrong and the punishment must be severe. As a young man and city boy hunting in Maine the locals would often make our visit less than comfortable when discussing the frequency of their sound shots. When it first occurred I asked my friend and host as to their sincerity and a wink to the eye was his response.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088591 02/22/18 02:23 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
The shooter doesn't look like the kinda person that has thermal gear, more likely a meth lab in his bath tub. I'm betting he shot onto property that isn't his also.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088600 02/22/18 02:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I don't believe for one minute this was an 'accident'. This happened 20 minutes before sunset and multiple shots were fired.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088663 02/22/18 03:17 PM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Trespassing for sure,iron clad evidence and can tell by the picture.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Stub] #7088676 02/22/18 03:26 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Quote:
A local pastor has died in a hunting tragedy after another hunter mistook him for a coyote and shot him, authorities said.

Alexander County Sheriff Chris Bowman stated that on February 19, 2018, at approximately 5:52 p.m., the Alexander County Communications received a 911 call about a person who had been shot on Edd Burgess Road Extension in Taylorsville.

Sheriff’s Office personnel, Alexander EMS, First Responders, the N.C. Highway Patrol, Alexander Rescue Squad, N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission, Taylorsville Fire, and Taylorsville Police officers responded to the scene.

Upon arrival, officers found Rev. Michael “Seth” Marsh, white male, age 26 of Taylorsville, suffering from several gunshot wounds to the chest area of his body. Evidence showed that Marsh was hunting coyotes and had an electronic coyote call. Marsh had a 12-gauge shotgun and a .22/250 Ruger American bolt action rifle that he was using to hunt coyotes.

When officers arrived on the scene, they encountered a man who was assisting in the medical attention of Rev. Marsh. The man, whose name is not being released, told officers that he heard coyotes screaming in the area. The man believed the coyotes had trapped something and he went to see what was happening. The man said he saw something that looked to him like a coyote that had trapped something in a tree. The man said he fired two shots at the brown and grey movement at the tree. The man had a .223 hunting rifle. When the man realized he had shot Mr. Marsh, he rendered aid, and called 911 for help.

EMS rendered aid on the scene and Rev. Marsh was transported by ambulance to Wake Forest Baptist Health – Wilkes Medical Center. Foggy weather prevented a medical helicopter from responding to the scene, said Bowman. Rev. Marsh was pronounced deceased at the hospital at approximately 8:00 p.m.

Marsh was pastor of Russell Gap Baptist Church, the Sheriff stated. According to the April 12, 2017, issue of The Taylorsville Times, Marsh and his wife, Katy, have two children, Braelynn and Issac. He had been pastor at Russell Gap for approximately one year.

Sheriff Bowman explained that man who fired the fatal shots lived nearby and did not know Marsh was in the area.

Officers with N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission are assisting the Alexander County Sheriff’s Office in this investigation.

UPDATE: On February 21, 2018, the Alexander County Sheriff’s Office arrested Ronald Mathew Dunn, age 31 of Taylorsville. Dunn was charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. Dunn was the suspect in the investigation of the shooting death of Rev. Michael Seth Marsh that occurred on February 19, 2018, said Sheriff Bowman. Dunn told authorities that he shot Marsh thinking he was a coyote. Dunn was placed under a $75,000 secure bond and his first court appearance in this case is Monday, February 26, 2018, in Alexander County District Court.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Flashprism] #7088681 02/22/18 03:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
The shooter did not have thermal. He had a daylight scope. That is why the color of the movement (brown and gray) is significant.

Quote:
UPDATE: On February 21, 2018, the Alexander County Sheriff’s Office arrested Ronald Mathew Dunn, age 31 of Taylorsville. Dunn was charged with Involuntary Manslaughter. Dunn was the suspect in the investigation of the shooting death of Rev. Michael Seth Marsh that occurred on February 19, 2018, said Sheriff Bowman. Dunn told authorities that he shot Marsh thinking he was a coyote. Dunn was placed under a $75,000 secure bond and his first court appearance in this case is Monday, February 26, 2018, in Alexander County District Court.
From the article cited in the OP.

Originally Posted By: Flashprism
Who ever mistakes a human being for a legitimate target is either an untrained inexperienced child or a murderer. It is totally wrong and the punishment must be severe.

While I agree that it is wrong and the punishment should be severe, this happens with regularity with ADULT hunters every year.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 02/22/18 03:30 PM.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088697 02/22/18 03:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I guess this is how you get away with murder. He would not be safe outside of iron bars if it was my family member.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088707 02/22/18 03:46 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, it isn't murder if you didn't intend to kill a person. If there is any rivalry between the shooter and pastor, that will come out, but until then, this is just what it appears to be, another idiot hunter shooting at an unidentified target.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: bp3] #7088743 02/22/18 04:30 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: bp3

A friend of yours?

A few reasonable "guesses" are ok here.

The shooter is the 1 who shot into brush, not knowing what was in there. Unless he's shooting on his property (implying the preacher was trespassing), its ok to assume he is a POS, unless contradicting information comes out.

We can also assume the preacher was not trespassing on the shooters property, & was likely on an adjoining property.

See, there's a little something called "common sense", & judging by your previous posting history, you have precious little of it.

When (if) all the facts come out, we can make a complete assessment. Until then, I apply Occam's Razor.

To sum it up for the simpletons like BP3, usually a person who shoots a bunch of rounds into another person in a brush pile on their neighbors property is an azzhole.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088849 02/22/18 06:20 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: bp3

And just what picture would that be? It is certainly not in the article I posted or any other article on this story that I have seen. No picture is going to show that one of the folks was trespassing, or both for that matter. How would you know if the landowner didn't give permission to one or both parties? Heck, right now, we don't even know who owns the land.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088876 02/22/18 06:34 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Well, it isn't murder if you didn't intend to kill a person. If there is any rivalry between the shooter and pastor, that will come out, but until then, this is just what it appears to be, another idiot hunter shooting at an unidentified target.
\\

Actually, many levels of homicides do not require intent to kill as a prerequisite. Felony murder, involuntary manslaughter, etc.

You did what?
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Texasteach] #7088894 02/22/18 06:49 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Texasteach
\\

Actually, many levels of homicides do not require intent to kill as a prerequisite. Felony murder, involuntary manslaughter, etc.

Which is why he specifically stated murder. Murder requires forethought.

Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Sneaky] #7088903 02/22/18 06:53 PM
T
Texasteach Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Texasteach
\\

Which is why he specifically stated murder. Murder requires forethought.

No it doesn't. I spent 3 years in law school, 1 year as a prosecutor, 4 years as a criminal defense attorney, and 10 years teaching criminal law at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Murder in and of itself does not require "forethought".

For example Felony Murder is when a death occurs during the commission of a felony. That death can be accidental. Premeditation is required for Murder in the First.

Last edited by Texasteach; 02/22/18 06:55 PM.

You did what?
Re: Hunter Mistakes Another Hunter For A Coyote [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7088905 02/22/18 06:55 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The dictionary defines it with the word “premeditation.” I don’t how the law defines it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide