6040731 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7084303 - 02/19/18 02:10 AM Whispering
DH3 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Katy
Most deer hunting shows on TV consist of 25 minutes of commercials and 5 (barely) minutes of hunting. That said, I am always amused by the hunter whispering to his blind companion (or photographer) AFTER he takes a shot. confused2
It happens almost every time, regardless of who the shooter/hunter is. McMillan is a good example. I said something to him a few years back when there was a NRA annual meeting/ Shot Show in Houston. He and his wife were manning a booth selling high fence hunts, as I recall.
I simply can not figure out why hunters whisper when a rifle shot scares every animal/bird within a half mile of the shot. They will NOT stick around to see where the shot came from.

#7084366 - 02/19/18 06:18 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
confused2 Glad I'm not the only one that thinks about this also. Gave up watching those shows years ago. walking

#7084368 - 02/19/18 06:25 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
JCO Offline
Woodsman

Loc: N.E. Texas
What did McMillen say? Doesn't seem to be the type that wouldn't answer. As for the whispering, never figured that out either, but better than the jumping and screaming over a six point.

#7084380 - 02/19/18 06:42 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: San Antonio
The 5 minutes of hunting is actually true. Years ago a friend and I were trying to get a show on tv and learned that we only needed 5 minutes of good footage per episode. They play it, then talk about it, play it again, go to commercial, play it over and add some new footage and on it goes. lol

#7084457 - 02/19/18 07:42 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I agree with the 5 min of hunting. Have shot plenty of deer where the only one to run was the one I shot, the rest just stand around and look for a minute, and a very surprising number would go right back to eating if the deer that was shot ran off and died out of sight.

#7084496 - 02/19/18 08:10 AM Re: Whispering [Re: Age N Score ?]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
confused2 Glad I'm not the only one that thinks about this also. Gave up watching those shows years ago. walking
up

#7084503 - 02/19/18 08:18 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Originally Posted By: DH3
Most deer hunting shows on TV consist of 25 minutes of commercials and 5 (barely) minutes of hunting. That said, I am always amused by the hunter whispering to his blind companion (or photographer) AFTER he takes a shot. confused2
It happens almost every time, regardless of who the shooter/hunter is. McMillan is a good example. I said something to him a few years back when there was a NRA annual meeting/ Shot Show in Houston. He and his wife were manning a booth selling high fence hunts, as I recall.
I simply can not figure out why hunters whisper when a rifle shot scares every animal/bird within a half mile of the shot. They will NOT stick around to see where the shot came from.

Tom McMillan lives, ranches cattle, outfits and hunts in south central Kansas. Not HF but hunts all LF cattle and farm land. So your hate on a HF land owner is not warranted here.
A lot of the whispering is due to where they are hunting and how close other hunters are to them. Lot of midwest hunting is done in smaller blocks of woods on farm land. I am hunting right now so I have to whisper.
grin

#7085074 - 02/19/18 04:02 PM Re: Whispering [Re: stxranchman]
DH3 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: DH3

Tom McMillan lives, ranches cattle, outfits and hunts in south central Kansas. Not HF but hunts all LF cattle and farm land. So your hate on a HF land owner is not warranted here.
A lot of the whispering is due to where they are hunting and how close other hunters are to them. Lot of midwest hunting is done in smaller blocks of woods on farm land. I am hunting right now so I have to whisper.
grin

I have no "hate" for HF hunters or whisperers. McMillan and his wife were soliciting for a HF ranch in South Texas..not his own spread. He got a laugh out of the whispering and said that I sounded like his dad. FWIW, on my ranch No deer ever stands around to see what's up when I shoot. I guess that some people hunt where the deer are tame, not much of a challenge there.

#7085155 - 02/19/18 05:21 PM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
Txduckman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Natural reaction. I do it too with my kids and we have no camera around. We don't yell or talk loud in the woods when deer, hog or turkey hunting.

#7085280 - 02/19/18 06:55 PM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
Old Rabbit Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Lansing, TX
This is funny, by wife walks into the kitchen years ago when I had a hunting show on and said, Oh you are watching whispering again.

#7085669 - 02/20/18 05:31 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: The Outer Limits
Have not watched a hunting show in a long time. They reminded me of watching golf way back when the announcers would talk real low in the broadcast booth nuts

#7086101 - 02/20/18 11:34 AM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
Hogslayer5L Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: College Station
Its natural to whisper in the woods. And ive seen plenty of times where deer that were near a deer I shot or at least withing a hundred yards go right back to eating. Maybe if u didnt start talking loud after you shoot the deer wouldnt was run off so fast.

#7086242 - 02/20/18 01:11 PM Re: Whispering [Re: colt45]
Mr. T. Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Hunt in Cass County, live in T...
Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
up

Yes, it drives me insane for them to whispering to the point of where I cannot hear what they are saying. hammer

Edited by Mr. T. (02/20/18 01:12 PM)

#7087835 - 02/21/18 03:37 PM Re: Whispering [Re: DH3]
SapperTitan Online   content
Taking Requests

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Many times ive shot deer from a blind and deer scatter a short distance and look around. They don't know where the shot came from so why on earth would I talk loud and make noise and let them know it came from the blind? Ive had does catch movement when im in the blind and then every time they come into the field they will stare at the blind or even circle down wind of it. I always try to make as little noise as I can in and around the blind.

#7088352 - 02/21/18 10:24 PM Re: Whispering [Re: SapperTitan]
DH3 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Many times ive shot deer from a blind and deer scatter a short distance and look around. They don't know where the shot came from so why on earth would I talk loud and make noise and let them know it came from the blind? Ive had does catch movement when im in the blind and then every time they come into the field they will stare at the blind or even circle down wind of it. I always try to make as little noise as I can in and around the blind.

FWIW, when I shoot from a blind, there is a deer flopping around on the ground. The remaining deer do not stay around to see what happened. A gun shot makes it pretty obvious. If I have someone in the blind with me, we converse in a normal conversational voice. There is no shouting, nor is there any continued whispering...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2018 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide