Print Thread
What to listen to? #7082337 02/17/18 03:32 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Hey y'all, picked up some diaphragm calls yesterday and am getting what I think are some pretty decent noises. Any suggestions on something to listen to to kind of fine tune? I youtubed a little bit but couldnt find what I was looking for, just curious to find out how y'all are practicing and getting better .Thanks!

Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7082404 02/17/18 04:21 PM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wild+turkey+hen+sounds.

Get the two note yelp down. Start them as 2 notes, then begin to speed up and blend them together

Get the cadence down. You want the speed of your call to be as close to the real thing as possible

Listen closely to the sounds of content turkeys as they feed and travel. These will calm a nervous gobbler and add realism. Purrs and whines.

If you can get a good seal on the roof of your mouth and resist gagging, you'll be calling longbeards in no time.

Practice, practice, practice...all the time. In the car, in the garage, at work. I have one in my mouth as I'm typing...just making content hen sounds.

" I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."
Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7082444 02/17/18 05:00 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Awesome, thanks! I've been practicing in the truck and at work pretty much since I bought em. I got a 3 pack of knight and hale and can get the same sounds out of all of them, but its neat hearing the difference tones and raspiness out of each one. I've heard turkeys once while deer hunting and seen them nearby but never on the property, so I am hoping a flock has decided to take up residence. lol

Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7082635 02/17/18 07:32 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
That link has plenty of good sounds to listen to and Gamblinman has given you some good advice.

Yelps, purrs, clucks, cackles, and cutting are the ones I use most often and I am bad about over calling but with a fired up gobbler is sure is fun getting him to respond.

For those different calls tones it is good to have several. I have had gobblers respond well to a certain pitch and not others. Killed an old one a few years ago that would only respond to a very high pitched call. Another that sticks in memory would only respond to clucks.

Learn different calls and do not be afraid to try them, then when a gobbler responds to one stay with it since there was something he liked.

The worst calling I ever heard in the woods was from a hen turkey, must have had a sore throat or something.

In the Spring turkeys will spread out more than in the fall and winter. Hens will go to the gobblers early in the morning and that is when most of the breeding happens. The gobblers will follow the hens around and often later in the morning or day can be called in as they are looking for different hens.

Good luck and ask more questions iwhen you have them.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7082671 02/17/18 08:27 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Well Kmon, let me ask you this. I've got access to about 90 acres total of it. There isn't any water on the place. I've been over most of it and haven't ever seen any turkey feathers or droppings or anything. I went to Texas A&M for Poultry Science so I am pretty familiar with what to look for dropping and dust wallowing wise. Any good advice on general areas that turkeys typically frequent? I'm worried that without water the only draw I have is roosting spots, and there isn't a huge tree shortage in my area. We have a bottom area with a bunch of trees, and a meadow bordering it. There is a wet weather creek running through the bottom, but I've never seen it wet enough to hold water. What are the odds of seeing a turkey in this kind of terrain? I've heard them one time from a deer stand at the front of the property but they sounded like they were a bit of a ways off. There is a big creek probably a mile away, I've seen a couple big flocks driving by the woods near the river. I am trying to upload an aerial photo of the place.

Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7082679 02/17/18 08:40 PM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C

Thas a rough map, red outline is my area. Any tips for where to look for a spring flock that may be moving around a bit? Sorry I know its a bit zoomed out, but thought this might work for reference

Last edited by crozierk; 02/17/18 08:40 PM.
Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7082972 02/18/18 01:08 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Turkey love to roost in big trees over or near water or swamp. They typically fly down to a small clearing near the roost, amble around a bit and then begin to move off.

Within the next few weeks, if they are not already, they should start gobbling in earnest each morning at sunrise. Be on your property and listen for them. Determine if they come toward your property. Turkeys can be hard to call to an area they don't normally travel. Not impossible if you find a hot tom, but not very probable. You want to be where the turkeys want to be, if possible.

Do you have a feeder on your property?

Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7083031 02/18/18 01:49 AM
C
crozierk Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Yeah I have two feeders up on one side and two on the other. I'm going down to fill them and put SD cards in the cameras next week. Its supposed to rain all day both days, I'm assuming they probably wont be vocal or moving around. Worth taking some calls and seeing if anything talk back?

Re: What to listen to? [Re: crozierk] #7083221 02/18/18 08:20 AM
G
Gamblinman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
There should be evidence at the feeders if turkeys are visiting...tracks, droppings, feathers.

No rhyme or reason whether they are vocal due to weather...they should still gobble some on the roost.

Many feel its not a good idea to call to turkeys until season....no sense calling up birds by accident, getting busted, and educating birds.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide