Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ever been charged by a hog #7080146 02/15/18 09:59 PM
E
Espy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I think most of the time what we call a charging hog is usually you just in the hogs path. I have sorta been charged
once. I shot a hog he was still alive but could not move. Me and my brother in law drove to the hog I was gonna use my knife to finish him off. Hog got up on three legs and started chasing me around the truck.
We both were laughing like crazy after a couple of laps around the truck brother in law put a bullet in him. We still laugh at me playing rodeo clown with the hog.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080185 02/15/18 10:17 PM
B
Bucks and Ducks Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
My brother had one charge him after he had killed a piglet, he got down to find it and one was still around(maybe momma) and he shot it 10 feet away with .243

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080240 02/15/18 10:48 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Not sure if you saw my post here or not but I've got video of the last hog charge I had. And some people say he wasn't really charging me. Well I don't care what he was doing, it was full speed ahead, straight at me while I was shooting and he clipped the leg of my shooting sticks as I was moving out of the way. Whatever he was doing, my underwear said they didn't want it to happen again! roflmao

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7075463/1

I've only had 2 other times that a hog came after me and both were actually understandable and somewhat predictable.

Once was about 20 years ago and I parked my 4 wheeler and walked way down a log road down in a creek bottom to check a camera I had at a deer stand. It was September before season and I didn't have a firearm with me. When I got to within about 75 yards of my 4 wheeler I saw some piglets in the log road between me and the 4 wheeler. About as quickly as I saw them I heard something behind me and when I looked back there was an angry sow coming out of the brush. I took off like an olympic runner towards the 4 wheeler and that sow was in hot pursuit. I'm pretty sure I broke a land speed record but when I got to the 4 wheeler and bailed over the front handlebars, I looked back and the sow had stopped about 20 yards back and was standing there. She had just been upset because I was between her and the piglets and once I was past them (they scattered into the woods when I ran towards them) she had pretty given up chasing me but I didn't know it because I wasn't looking back!

The second time was about 17 years ago when my late father had shot a big 200+ lb boar and a couple other hogs off his back porch in his pasture early one morning before daylight with a spotlight. He had to leave to go to a meeting but he called my brother and I and asked us haul them off. When we got there we couldn't find the big boar he said he shot but we finally located down in a small creek with banks about 6 ft tall. It was laying there dead and we threw a couple sticks down there and he didn't move. I bailed off down in the dry creek and as soon as I stumbled down to the bottom he came alive like a bear in a cave! He came at me and I nearly pooped my pants and I was crawling up the side of that creek bank like a mad man with that hog on my heals. My brother grabbed my hand and drug me to the top and the hog was struggling to make it up the bank. His head was almost to the top but he couldn't quite make it up. We both had holstered pistols and we filled his head full of lead.

I've learned to give a hog, especially a wounded one, plenty of space.

- Jason

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080242 02/15/18 10:48 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm curious to see where this goes. I've never had one run at me, only had one run right by me. The video from Legacy Gear certainly did look like that hog was wanting a piece of him and determined on 3 legs!

Given the volume of videos we see from ground shooters, why doesn't it happen more often?

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080261 02/15/18 10:59 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My first hog hunt had them running all around me. I didn't know then what I know now, I just started shooting.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080284 02/15/18 11:18 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080301 02/15/18 11:28 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
2 full blown charges from wounded hogs. Scared the ever living piss out of me. I've had several occasions where hogs run directly at me after shooting into a sounder.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080365 02/16/18 12:24 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Espy
I think most of the time what we call a charging hog is usually you just in the hogs path.

I have seen this comment made several times, "You weren't charged. You were just in his path."

This led me to wonder, just what are the definitive characteristic differences between being charged and just happening to being in a hog's path? When I have asked people for this actual difference, they are not able to come up with any sort of criteria to separate the two, particularly if you are able to stop the hog before it gets to you. My favorite answer was, "You'll know the difference when it happens." What the heck sort of non-answer is that?

I can honestly say that I think I have been charged once and my justification for this is that the hog made a significant change of direction to get to me after he headed off running in a different direction first after it was shot the first time. First hit was lethal, but not immediately. Second hit was through the scrotum and that is when the hog changed directions toward me. Then there was a flurry of panic shooting and the hog was hit twice more. I moved off the "x" to avoid being hit.

Another time, I shot a hog that was facing in my general direction when I shot it the first time and it ran toward me after being hit and passed right by me after several more hits and died about 20 yards beyond me. It was just as exciting as being charged, but I don't think it was charging me. At the time, I didn't know one way or the other and it didn't matter. All that mattered to me was that I was not going to let it get to me.

On a third occasion, I did have wounded hog attempt to get up and lunged at me making a growling noise. I am absolutely certain he wanted to harm me. All that prevented it from doing so was its injuries.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080382 02/16/18 12:43 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I shot a big sow when I first got my Armasight Vampire couple yrs ago. She was in a large sounder and the rest turned and ran right at me. I was in a chair between two cedars with a small oak in front of me. After the first shot the smoke caused the IR light to reflect and I couldn't see well enough to engage them and they were running into the cedars and that oak in front of me LOL. I just emptied the mag hoping to divert them and somehow none of them ran into me. Most were 30-50 lbers with some bigger hogs in the group of about 20. It was chaos but man was it exciting. Now they weren't technically charging me they were just running from the big ole squealing sow I shot and I was in their way LOL.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080387 02/16/18 12:48 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
When I was a kid I shot a piglet with my 22 and it started squealing. The sow ran me up a windmill. I didn’t really want the sow but I shot her too from the windmill. She wasn’t going to leave.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080405 02/16/18 01:04 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
First hog hunt I ever went on was about 20 years ago in Australia.

I was using a Sako .223 and my buddy had a Ruger .243. Had an aboriginal guide with us. Guide was pointing in the grass and yelling at me to shoot the pig. From my vantage point I could just see a black blob in the tall grass, it was standing still and I picked what I thought was the head, it wasn't busted a sow in the backside, ruined the hams and broke both her hips. She was squealing like the proverbial stuck pig. I was racking another round in the gun and going to shoot the other end when our guide, now on top of the roof rack on the land cruiser, is shouting PIG PIG PIG PIG. I look to my left and there is a boar running in full tilt. Buddy and I open fire on him and after a couple shots each dripped him about 20 feet in front of us. We were standing in a field, there was no reason for the boar not to see us, and he was not just headed our way, he was coming right for us for getting into his girl.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080451 02/16/18 01:38 AM
D
Dalee7892 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
We trapped 8 pigs ina round trap. The guys shot them all before i could get there. I went throgh the spring loaded double doors to start pulling them out. One of the pigs had his head stuck in the hog panels. I grabbed his hind legs and pretended to have a wheel barrow. Will [censored], he came alive and chased me around in the pen, i was falling over feed buckets and feed troughs while everybody was laughing. Couldnt get the dam pistol out, finally shot 3 head shots, 357, down he went. Luckly he only had small tusks but did rip my NEW jeans. Everybody still laughing. No video to much laughing.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080633 02/16/18 03:41 AM
M
mightyp Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
been hunting hogs for at least 10 years,walk and stalk in the mornings,stand hunt in evenings/night and have never been charged.

It's still "we the people", right?

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7080917 02/16/18 02:03 PM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted By: Espy
I think most of the time what we call a charging hog is usually you just in the hogs path.

I have seen this comment made several times, "You weren't charged. You were just in his path."

This led me to wonder, just what are the definitive characteristic differences between being charged and just happening to being in a hog's path? When I have asked people for this actual difference, they are not able to come up with any sort of criteria to separate the two, particularly if you are able to stop the hog before it gets to you. My favorite answer was, "You'll know the difference when it happens." What the heck sort of non-answer is that?

I can honestly say that I think I have been charged once and my justification for this is that the hog made a significant change of direction to get to me after he headed off running in a different direction first after it was shot the first time. First hit was lethal, but not immediately. Second hit was through the scrotum and that is when the hog changed directions toward me. Then there was a flurry of panic shooting and the hog was hit twice more. I moved off the "x" to avoid being hit.

Another time, I shot a hog that was facing in my general direction when I shot it the first time and it ran toward me after being hit and passed right by me after several more hits and died about 20 yards beyond me. It was just as exciting as being charged, but I don't think it was charging me. At the time, I didn't know one way or the other and it didn't matter. All that mattered to me was that I was not going to let it get to me.

On a third occasion, I did have wounded hog attempt to get up and lunged at me making a growling noise. I am absolutely certain he wanted to harm me. All that prevented it from doing so was its injuries.

I think the bold part is the key. Did the hog appear to make a significant change in direction towards you, and if you moved did the hog change direction to intercept you.

And I think the underlined section is the key. It really doesn't matter if the hog is intentionally headed towards you or if it is just running in panic in your direction, either way that hog can injure you and you need to do your best to make sure that doesn't happen.

I can say that I am 53 years old, I have been deer hunting since I was 12. I have shot many deer with rifles, shotguns, handguns, bows, and muzzle loaders in that 41 years. I have never had a deer run towards me after taking a shot at it. So I'm going to say that any pig that runs towards me is charging me.

Last edited by VAFish; 02/16/18 02:06 PM.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Palehorse] #7080931 02/16/18 02:15 PM
B
Bar-D Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
Online Mad
Veteran Tracker
B
Brutal savagery, hard to watch. Hope the bowhunter is okay.

Originally Posted by Palehorse

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080964 02/16/18 02:41 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I've have some bad luck with hogs. Been charged 4 times that were legit..not going to turn at the last minute charges.

The first and worst one put me in fight or flight no doubt.
I used to live 20 minutes from Granger wma and hunted it for everything it offered. This day I was after doves. It was a mid day and hot. I parked at gate 6 and was headed to these tall trees off the San Gabriel river where doves always would roost. I was armed with a 12 gauge and a vest loaded with 7.5 shot. As I walked in I crossed this area of deep dry creeks. It's shady and cool in there and a few days ago we had a good rain so the creeks had nice wet cool mud in them.
I came up one dry creek and as I walked up I ended up coming up right next to a really big boar. He was on my right so I ran left as I loaded my shot gun. He didn't charge right away but as I was slowly easing away and loading up he just turned and bolted at me. Up in front was another dry creek so I ran forward and jump down into it....Which was a huge mistake!! When I got in there there were 40 or so pigs in there and the creek went oh 70 yards and bowled out so they ran that way to the bowl but didn't go up and over. Instead all the big ones started popping their teeth and charged. I don't really remember to much cause I was in overload but I do remember they were at the end and then all came running my way and I unloaded on them. I got hit and taken off my feet and lost my gun. I loose it after that but come back to me having my gun and backed into the bank and shooting pigs right in front of me. All I had to do was climb over but I was backed into solid bank and roots and in that state I didn't want to go anywhere. Finally what was left on the pigs ran right by me to the left along the dry creek. I don't know why they wouldn't just go up and over. I was so scared I ran out and got out of the tree in the field. I laid there for an hour or so. I was so tired I didn't want to move. Some other hunters came and gave me water. When I told them what happened they went and found dead pigs and started shooting wounded pigs. I didn't want any part of it anymore I just left.

On the way home I thought I would quit hunting but that didn't last long.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7080995 02/16/18 03:00 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Another time I'd posted on here before. Was filling feeders and a boar came after me and took a few swipes at the ladder I held in front of me.

Another time we were hunting with long range rifles and perched 80 foot above the Blanco river. My friend shot a 150lb boar that was walking along the river bank at 650y. We heard a solid whack with the 7mag hit him but he limped off immediately. We changed guns to an AR 223 and my Tikka t3 243 and went looking for him. We found a blood trail before we made it to where we shot him so we split up and took it both ways. I was trailing and looked up and froze as he was standing 15yards ahead and saw him flinch a second as he saw me at the same time. He came running in and I was standing near a huge oak tree so I jumped behind it. I shot him at a few yards as he passed by. It happened really fast.

Once while hog dogging in FL we used to hunt sugarcane fields and had an angry boar cornered in there. We had hunted all night and it was morning and we were not so smart back then. The boar wasn't caught and we could hear him and the dogs running around in the cane so we went in with them. A friend was right in front of me we would look up and see the cane tops shake so we ran towards it and Tommy ran right into this huge boar. They kind of collided so the boar just bit him on the front of his leg. Then Sadie our red nosed pit cane and grabbed the boar by his balls and started pulling him and Tommy. Tommy was punching and screaming. The boar was jabbing away but not catching Tommy cause he was getting pulled backwards. Finally the boar lost his grip and our two cattahoulas latched onto him. It was over for him at that point.

Last edited by Wacm; 02/16/18 03:03 PM.
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7081286 02/16/18 06:51 PM
O
oldstyle244 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Couple years ago me and my buddy were walking down to the lake to see if there were any ducks on the water. I had a shotgun loaded with blind side, he had a .22 rifle. As we get close to the lake we see some hogs in the trees, they see us and they take off the opposite direction away from us. Just on the other side of those trees is a road, they must have run into the road as a car was coming, shortly after they ran from us we hear someone laying on their horn.

That spooked them more than we did so here they come running full speed our direction, all we have to hide behind is a mesquite. They must have been 25-30 hogs running towards/around us. They were close enough that i could have reached out and smacked them on the back as they ran past.

I dropped a sow with my shotgun (it jammed after the first shot of course) my buddy dropped a couple small pigs with his .22 as he unloaded on them.

They weren't really charging us, just running for dear life in our direction, but it was pretty thrilling.

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7082519 02/17/18 06:02 PM
R
Retired Sgt. Gilliam Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Shot a hog 2 days ago. Herd ran to trees as my bolt gun jammed. Could hear a hog coming my way. Don't know if it was charging because with jammed rifle I took off for my suv

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7089477 02/23/18 01:00 AM
T
thorn4570 Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
T
My son in law shoot one and it ran into real thick stuff. It charged at him and he called me. I went to and put one in the shoulder with a 44 mag. It turned and chased us about 20 yards to a clearing then went back to the thick stuff. We went back in and this time put one the neck and he charged again. We were running and yelling and laughing and SIL said put one in the head so I did. He dropped that time. By the way he had been shoot in the head twice by my SIL with a 17wsm before I got there. I been hunting for a long time and that was the first time I saw something like that.

I wish we would have recorded it.

I once drank muddy water out of a hoof print and was dang glad to get it.
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7089882 02/23/18 01:22 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Nope but I walked up on one that was feeding and loosed an arrow right through her vitals. Then the other members of her sounder (which I didn't see or hear because of wind and high cotton) decided to make their escape down the trail I was standing in. rofl My buddies were laughing because they saw me drop my bow and grab an arrow in each hand. I don't really know what I was thinking but there was no place to run and I figured head on was the only way to hit this train.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7089895 02/23/18 01:36 PM
Z
ZenArchery Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Z
Been night hunting those things for almost 12 years. 2 times I've had a sounder run TOWARDS me. But not charging. Only one time can I state for a fact a hog charged me. I was stalking this boar in a field for close to 30 minutes working around cows. He would charge the cattle occasionally. He saw me kneeling ready for a shot. Probably thought I was another cow and charged at me. Most of the cows he would charge. The cows stood their ground or would turn. When I went into full spring mode. He didn't stop. I was literally laughing and running at the same time..

Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7090478 02/23/18 09:54 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers in other threads have mentioned the two times (charged by a hog).
First was a bluff charge, thick under growth, sow stepped out, charged, stopped, then several small hogs5-10#'s stepped out with another sow. They retreated, as first sow charged closer, got within several yards then high tailed it out.
Seconded after firing a round, other hogs took off running away, the other spun around, & came straight at me had to side step or it have knocked me down. Was in tall grass, & a downed tree chest high.
Hogs are going ta avoid hunters, protect young, dogs on their tails, most dangerous is a wounded one. Many stories of people getting hurt from wounded deer.
First lease, hunted hogs at night, flash light off, slinger pistal on hip, have gone inta thick areas after wounded hogs, both at night & day. As pappy once said: that boy tis bout as bright as a burnt out light bulb, when ya flip the switch the element's don't connect. Reason called caveman at work. Was raised around hog farms, now they all HF & in big barns. Miss me hog hunts at OSBWMA.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7090777 02/24/18 01:59 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I once spooked a sounder of warthog while hunting Kudu in South Africa. One of the boars tried to escape by running down the path directly toward me. At about 8 feet he finally saw me, and made a sharp left turn to get away. Not at all a charge, but both my PH and my tracker certainly found it amusing. In all honesty, I never truly felt threatened, but he was so close and so fast that there was no hope in taking a shot with the rifle. I was about to whack him in the face with the butt stock when he turned.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Ever been charged by a hog [Re: Espy] #7091912 02/25/18 01:56 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I have been charged about 20 times, maybe more. But then when you are in the trap (its a big trap) with them and catching them buy their back legs, you are asking for it. Snake boots are advisable. Note, I have never hopped in a trap with a pig over about 50 pounds, when they get that big they get roped first. When they get 150+ they get shot first.
I have walked past many hogs while stalking or just looking around, some within 10-15 feet. So far they have just run off.

Last edited by Simple Searcher; 02/25/18 01:57 AM.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide