Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7081715 02/16/18 11:12 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
First one looks like a doe with antlers, 1.5-2.5 max. Would shock me if he were older.

Second one is older than the dirt he walks on. Poor guy looks in terrible shape and probably didn’t make it through the winter this year, unless these are recent pics but I doubt they are.

First buck I would say either 2 or 3 and for this area I am at would call him a 3 yr old. Those pics were from early Nov in 2016. Second buck I first saw this past archery season late October 2017. He was at 15 yards and I thought he was post mature. Two issues I had with my age guesses on him were that does would fight him off corn that morning and the way he walked around just looked odd to me. He is still alive and I got pics of him in 2 different feed pens the past 4 nights. He in better body condition now than in those pics from Nov and Dec above.

He already stated what he thought, on first page... roflmao

Okay I should have clarified for the ones who do not get the obvious hammer nuts rofl

stx what do you estimate the age of the second buck which you never gave an age on confused2

Last edited by Stub; 02/16/18 11:14 PM.

texas flag

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: Stub] #7081722 02/16/18 11:16 PM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Stub
First one looks like a doe with antlers, 1.5-2.5 max. Would shock me if he were older.

Second one is older than the dirt he walks on. Poor guy looks in terrible shape and probably didn’t make it through the winter this year, unless these are recent pics but I doubt they are.

First buck I would say either 2 or 3 and for this area I am at would call him a 3 yr old. Those pics were from early Nov in 2016. Second buck I first saw this past archery season late October 2017. He was at 15 yards and I thought he was post mature. Two issues I had with my age guesses on him were that does would fight him off corn that morning and the way he walked around just looked odd to me. He is still alive and I got pics of him in 2 different feed pens the past 4 nights. He in better body condition now than in those pics from Nov and Dec above.

Okay I should have clarified for the ones who do not get the obvious hammer nuts rofl

stx what do you estimate the age of the second buck which you never gave an age confused2

Okay a little hint..... grin that is the same buck in all the pics with first set of pics from the 2016 season and the last set from this past season in 2017.
Now how old is he? popcorn

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7081801 02/17/18 12:29 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

stx what do you estimate the age of the second buck which you never gave an age confused2

Okay a little hint..... grin that is the same buck in all the pics with first set of pics from the 2016 season and the last set from this past season in 2017.
Now how old is he? popcorn

Did you start drink7ing? Because in your first statement above you say first and second buck, now it is the same buck in all the pics hammer nuts

Luke and I are going into the back yard and have another one laugh BTW I believe 3 in 2016 + 2 now = approximately 5 confused2

Last edited by Stub; 02/17/18 12:31 AM.

texas flag

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: Stub] #7081826 02/17/18 12:50 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

Did you start drink7ing? Because in your first statement above you say first and second buck, now it is the same buck in all the pics hammer nuts

Luke and I are going into the back yard and have another one laugh BTW I believe 3 in 2016 + 2 now = approximately 5 confused2

If I had posted all the pics saying that all these pics are of the same buck over a 2 yr period and how old is he it would have taken all the fun out of it grin 2016 year pics of him as an 8 pt are from Nov 2016 and the other pics are from Nov 2017. Sooooooooo my math would be 3+1=4. Who is drinking now? cheers
Here is what he looked like between Christmas and New Years in 2016 about 6 weeks after I took the first group of pics. He was healthy until I saw him when I took the second group of pics.

He was shot/wounded and had lost some weight in late Dec when I saw him. He walked funny and was starting to show the pronounced hump from his shoulder blades. Someone across the road shot a bit later after I took those pics and he went into a panic mode. He dropped his body lower to the ground and almost crawled off. I never saw him again till this year in Oct. He had a funny walk back then also and he showed that again this year. When I saw him archery season in Oct 2017 I could see a small notched out spot on top of his back in front of the shoulder blades and he walked funny. I had forgotten about him being wounded the year before until I saw him in Nov 2017. When I took those pics I came in and found him on last years pics. He has 2 small tears or rips in his right ear. I have the higher resolution pics of him on my other computer hard drive that is being worked. Soon as I get it back I will post cropped pics of the ear from 2016 and then 2017 pics of him. I only have a couple of very low resolution pics on my laptop of him.

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7081830 02/17/18 12:56 AM
240z Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
3.5 and ancient.

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.....the most efficent way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effects of Horsepower.
Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7081843 02/17/18 01:02 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
OK, so the thought that the "second" buck was sick isn't far off...he was injured.

Given that bit of info, I would guess him to be 3-4 this year, although he looks really wore down in those first pics and the last pic you just showed has him run down form the rut and the injury combined. In that pic, he looks really young in the body, think like a yearlong, but the injury is at play there.

Where I hunt in Oklahoma, we see bigger deer at 3 yo, so it is definitely region specific, but if you say he is a three in the first pic he is obviously 4 now. Good set of pics to show what an injury can do and how they can bounce back.

Surprised the injury healed as quickly as it did...you figure the shot was about 4 weeks out in the last pic from christmas time 16? So about a late november or early december injury?

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: Texas buckeye] #7081858 02/17/18 01:13 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
OK, so the thought that the "second" buck was sick isn't far off...he was injured.

Given that bit of info, I would guess him to be 3-4 this year, although he looks really wore down in those first pics and the last pic you just showed has him run down form the rut and the injury combined. In that pic, he looks really young in the body, think like a yearlong, but the injury is at play there.

Where I hunt in Oklahoma, we see bigger deer at 3 yo, so it is definitely region specific, but if you say he is a three in the first pic he is obviously 4 now. Good set of pics to show what an injury can do and how they can bounce back.

Surprised the injury healed as quickly as it did...you figure the shot was about 4 weeks out in the last pic from christmas time 16? So about a late november or early december injury?

I think it was combo of shot injury and infection. My guess also is that his posture and "hump" is related to him being hit on top of the spine and was paralyzed for a short time. When I he first walked into the bow blind that Oct 2017 morning he look very thin body wise and his body posture/shape was not like any of the other WT in that morning. One doe literally stood up and boxed him off the corn. I thought that is odd for a buck in hard antlers that looks postmature to cow down to a doe. I am not really sure when he was wounded but I would suspect it was around Thanksgiving time frame with the long week and amount of hunters out. The time frame between those pics was probably 6-7 weeks or maybe more. He could have been wounded the next day after I took the pics earlier in Nov also. Once I get my computer back I will look at the dates on those pics and then see if I can find him on TC after that or when he disappeared. It is not unusual for bucks to leave in late Oct or early Nov and then return later around Jan 1st. or even later. The longer he stayed around from Oct till recently had put on more weight compared to Oct.

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7081881 02/17/18 01:32 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

If I had posted all the pics saying that all these pics are of the same buck over a 2 yr period and how old is he it would have taken all the fun out of it grin 2016 year pics of him as an 8 pt are from Nov 2016 and the other pics are from Nov 2017. Sooooooooo my math would be 3+1=4. Who is drinking now? cheers
Here is what he looked like between Christmas and New Years in 2016 about 6 weeks after I took the first group of pics. He was healthy until I saw him when I took the second group of pics.

He was shot/wounded and had lost some weight in late Dec when I saw him. He walked funny and was starting to show the pronounced hump from his shoulder blades. Someone across the road shot a bit later after I took those pics and he went into a panic mode. He dropped his body lower to the ground and almost crawled off. I never saw him again till this year in Oct. He had a funny walk back then also and he showed that again this year. When I saw him archery season in Oct 2017 I could see a small notched out spot on top of his back in front of the shoulder blades and he walked funny. I had forgotten about him being wounded the year before until I saw him in Nov 2017. When I took those pics I came in and found him on last years pics. He has 2 small tears or rips in his right ear. I have the higher resolution pics of him on my other computer hard drive that is being worked. Soon as I get it back I will post cropped pics of the ear from 2016 and then 2017 pics of him. I only have a couple of very low resolution pics on my laptop of him.

Well Hell I am rofl up

Last edited by Stub; 02/17/18 01:33 AM.

texas flag

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: Stub] #7082150 02/17/18 11:32 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
First one 2.5 and the second one 3.5 - 4.5 The reason I am guessing that on the second one is the brisket is not protruding, no sway back and his hips are full but not big. His face does not look old either, but then what the hell do I know laugh confused2

BTW I was the first to nail it on its age, so is it winner, winner Chicken Dinner laugh

And all of you folks that said it is 6 years or older, post mature and any other real old comment I will be holding another seminar on judging deers age on the hoof. Early registration and THF discounts are available roflmao bolt

texas flag

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7085420 02/20/18 02:33 AM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Man o man. I'm usually within a year of true age for deer on the hoof. Got me again!

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: Stub] #7085422 02/20/18 02:34 AM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
First one 2.5 and the second one 3.5 - 4.5 The reason I am guessing that on the second one is the brisket is not protruding, no sway back and his hips are full but not big. His face does not look old either, but then what the hell do I know laugh confused2

BTW I was the first to nail it on its age, so is it winner, winner Chicken Dinner laugh

And all of you folks that said it is 6 years or older, post mature and any other real old comment I will be holding another seminar on judging deers age on the hoof. Early registration and THF discounts are available roflmao bolt

Don't dislocate yer shoulder, stub.

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: fouzman] #7085659 02/20/18 11:26 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: fouzman

Don't dislocate yer shoulder, stub.

To late dislocated both of them laugh

texas flag

Re: Age guesses on these 2 bucks [Re: stxranchman] #7086839 02/21/18 02:30 AM
S
stxranchman Offline OP
Obie Juan Kenobi
OP Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Finally got my computer back today. So now I can post better pics of this buck from 2016 and 2017 to see the tear/rip in his right ear.
11-10-2016

11-21-2017

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide